Don't forget anything in your cabin!!!

Many times I leave items in my room. Last cruise I had purchased a new mousse and I just didn't like it. Even though I drove to port, I thought I would leave it in case crew wanted it. I wanted to tell the steward but we didn't see him.

I have a girlfriend who cruises regularly and always plans to bring and leave her old sneakers and a few pieces of clothing (which are probably not so old by crew standards). That way she has room in her suitcase for purchases.

So there are many people who leave things on purpose. I never thought of the fact that this causes confusion for the cruise line. Next time I will make sure my cabin steward knows that anything I leave can be distributed or tossed.

You too?!? I thought I was the only anal one about this. I do this when I leave hotels, cruise ships, even people's homes that I crashed in on vacation.

I call it the "full sweep". I thought it was just me... ;)

The same here, we both do it and then double check.

After checking and checking and checking we still arrived in Orlando and while wondering why my sons bag was so light upon opening realised he had left all his clothing on the ship. He had decided to unpack it into desk drawers and competely forgot about it and despite checking everything I had missed them. Not only did he only have the clothes on his back and his PJ's he had spent a week in New York shopping with money he had saved and was very impressed with his new wardrobe! The second shopping trip in Orlando was not nearly as impressive. Lesson hard learnt. Was a little disappointed that after phone RCI nothing could be done but it was entirely his fault. Before the cruise he had his wallet and ipod (that he got for Christmas a couple of days earlier) stolen so he came home with less than he took in more ways than one the only bonus was that I had a lot of extra room for all my shopping without any excess baggage!

Have learnt that 15 year olds are not nearly as grown up as they think!

We check and double check under the beds, in the drawers, etc. but yesterday as we were getting ready to leave I brought out my carryon and my husband brought out his to leave the cabin and I had my white jacket sitting on the bed and the sheets are white so it blended in very nicely and I walked out of the room without my jacket. I didnt realize it until I got to the airport and was cold from the air conditioning.

You can't blame a cruise company for its policies. How about taking personal responsibility for your forgetfulness? In a perfect world it would be nice for the cabin stewards to package everything up that they find and mark it with the cabin number and date so at some point you could claim it. Can you imagine the storage space, paperwork and man hours that would be involved in that?

Personally, I don't want to wait until late in the afternoon to be able to board a ship. I want them to turn the ship around as quickly as possible so I can get on early.

We have a routine we go through every trip, whether it's a cruise ship or a hotel. I pack while hubby relaxes elsewhere and then I have him do the "eagle eye inspection" of every conceivable hiding place. In fact, we've learned from personal experience to move the night stands and check behind them. I once put my diamond wedding band on the night stand and didn't realize it had fallen to the floor until he moved it when I was packing. I would have been very sad to have lost that! To say the very least, I am much more careful with my jewelry since then.

Many times I leave items in my room. Last cruise I had purchased a new mousse and I just didn't like it. Even though I drove to port, I thought I would leave it in case crew wanted it. I wanted to tell the steward but we didn't see him.

I have a girlfriend who cruises regularly and always plans to bring and leave her old sneakers and a few pieces of clothing (which are probably not so old by crew standards). That way she has room in her suitcase for purchases.

So there are many people who leave things on purpose. I never thought of the fact that this causes confusion for the cruise line. Next time I will make sure my cabin steward knows that anything I leave can be distributed or tossed.

I also will leave clothes that I do not want to take back with me in the cabin, however, on one cruise I kept throwing a swimsuit (clasp broke) into the garbage and the room steward kept putting it back on the bed.

Even though I check the room a few times I will still usually forget something.

We left a whole suitcase on our last cruise. Didn't realize it until the day after, it had all of one of our kids clothes in it. We called RCCL and they knew about it and had sent it to a UPS store. Cost us $55 to get it shipped to us, well worth it considering the price of clothing and the fact that it was a 12 hour drive to the port.

A whole suit case??!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

So, it sounds like you take your oldest, most worn out clothes on a cruise then leave them? And some people worry about wrinkles?

LOL, on the Money Saving Board someone said that they take their old underwear, T-Shirts and other old clothes on their cruise so they can discard them when they leave :eek: I for one like to wear new, good looking clothes while vacationing :confused:

I feel sorry for the employees who have to sort through the garbage :mad:

###

This might not be the same as just forgetting an item or it may, you be the judge. In February we were on the LOS, as my wife recalls it was the last day we were getting to leave the ship. She was changing her shirt and it stuck to her ring. Thinking nothing of it when we got home her diamond was missing on that ring. This ring was left to my wife from her mother and very expensive I might add. We called RC nothing was returned. The bottom line on this is we forgot our diamond ring on our cruise. This goes without saying I bought her a new one for her for our anniversery. That particular cruise was still the best so far.

4 years ago my husband left his favorite jersey (Duke, $135) in a hotel closet (Barona Resort in San Diego), by the time we realized it was left we called, no luck.

I am sure the housekeeper's husband or son loved it!! Thing was, we weren't mad, it was his own fault.

When I check out of anywehre we always do a closet/drawer/under the bed check, but on this trip, I was pregnant so he was on his own for the checking. And of course, he didn't check, and lost his jersey. Oh well.:p

He still misses that thing to this day, and whenever he sees a guy wearing one, he wonders if it's his!!:D

So I am sorry for your lost items, but next time do a check of the room before you leave. Otherwise, you may see your room attendant wearing your shirt!!:eek:

Tracey, here's a new one:

duke_jersey.jpg

Hardly a reason, in my opinion, to discard clothing. They have to pick the stuff up anyways, so how hard can it be to put it in a plastic bag and write the cabin number on the bag? But that's really moot. It's just an illustration of the level of service that one may expect. (In my opinion institutionally uncaring, even though many of the individuals involved are just the opposite.)

To the OP: my sympathies.

This is a totally serious question, broberts:

Where should they keep these plastic bags?

Plastic bags :eek: :eek: Good gosh, think Green people :p :p

Carol, glad to hear that you had another wonderful cruise :)

###

Thanks, PC.

I, too, obsessively check every drawer, shelf and corner. ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK BEHIND THE VANITY MIRROR!

The only time that we actually left stuff behind, that's what I forgot. :rolleyes:

My mom left a NintendoDS in the stateroom. Not sure how that happened, but it did inspire her to check the room more closely the next time. We called RCI as soon as we got home, but they said they didn't find it. I hope whoever has it is enjoying it!

4 years ago my husband left his favorite jersey (Duke, $135) in a hotel closet (Barona Resort in San Diego), by the time we realized it was left we called, no luck.

I am sure the housekeeper's husband or son loved it!! Thing was, we weren't mad, it was his own fault.

When I check out of anywehre we always do a closet/drawer/under the bed check, but on this trip, I was pregnant so he was on his own for the checking. And of course, he didn't check, and lost his jersey. Oh well.:p

He still misses that thing to this day, and whenever he sees a guy wearing one, he wonders if it's his!!:D

So I am sorry for your lost items, but next time do a check of the room before you leave. Otherwise, you may see your room attendant wearing your shirt!!:eek:

They gave your hubby $135 for him to take a Duke jersey? Wow!

:D

On our last trip, one of my sons left his invisilign (sp?) retainers in the bathroom and my other son left his thyroid medicine in his bathroom and guess what? Nothing turned up in the lost and found! Who needs retainers and Cytomel with a specific dose??? Maybe it all gets put in the round file.:(

Since luggage has to be out before midnight, I set aside time beforehand to inspect the entire cabin -- safe, closet, vanity, drawers, balcony, underbed, etc. Everything we need for the next day, except toiletries, goes into our backpacks. Then, I double- and triple-check the cabin, and once I'm satisfied, downstairs we go for last-minute cocktails and goodbyes.

I've always had this fear of oversleeping and then frantically having to throw everything together in the morning.

Re: getmycruiseon's comment about accidentally leaving things in lounges... I can totally relate! On our last cruise, my partner accidentally left our camera bag under a table at the Olive or Twist. The camera bag had our brand-new Nikon SLR, lenses, flash, memory cards, and spare batteries. We didn't notice until about 40 minutes after we got back to our cabin. I have never seen my partner run so fast... but glad he did -- for almost $1K worth of camera equipment (plus some private photos!!!)

Fortunately, he came back, VERY relieved, with the camera bag in hand. It's a lesson we won't soon forget!

RCI can do better. They could file the items by ship/cabin/sail date. Disney World really shows them up. They take everything turned in and file it acording to park and date. They hold it a certain number of days (usually a month, but some items less) before donating. RCI could hold things a week.

RCI can do better. They could file the items by ship/cabin/sail date. Disney World really shows them up. They take everything turned in and file it acording to park and date. They hold it a certain number of days (usually a month, but some items less) before donating. RCI could hold things a week.

It's a big park. It's a small ship. (in comparison). Where are they supposed to put all of this left-behind cr@p? :rolleyes:

If you think about how many cabins are on any given ship and how much stuff people leave behind on a weekly basis, where do you expect them to store all of this stuff when, like someone above posted, some don't even bother to try and collect what they left behind?

Let's think about this from RCI's viewpoint and consider what they could do about it.

1. RCI has to assume that anything left behind may be dirty or infested with germs or cooties.

2. The Cabin Steward knows who was in the cabin so they could easily bag up anything left behind, mark it with the sail date, cabin number, and passenger name. RCI would have to provide the Stewards with special bags and marking pens to do this.

3. When the Cabin Steward is finished preparing the cabins for the incoming passengers the bags of stuff left behind will need to be carried to a central point where they can be put into a container and rolled off the ship.

4. Once the stuff is off the ship, it will need to be moved to the newly created "Department of Left Behind Stuff" which will probably have one supervisor and two (or more) employees and computers hooked into RCI's passenger database.

5. RCI can contract with a shipping company such as UPS or FedEx to ship the stuff to the passenger's home address. The shipping company will provide RCI with free shipping boxes. The RCI computers will need to be upgraded to print the shipping labels.

6. The "Department of Lost Stuff" employees box up all of the germ and cootie infested stuff, seal the boxes, affix the shipping labels, and stack the boxes in a special place to be picked up by the shipping company the next morning. RCI has to expand their port facility to accommodate all of the boxes of lost stuff awaiting shipment.

7. At the end of the day the "Department of Lost Stuff" employees finish boxing the last item. The Supervisor pats them on the back and says "Well Done People! We have just provided out customers with the special service they deserve."

8. Several days later, the boxes start to arrive at the homes of the passengers.

- A number of passengers open the box and immediately become irate because the contents is wrinkled or smells bad and file a claim against RCI for damages.

- The "gentleman" who was cruising with his girlfriend instead of his wife while his wife thought he was on a business trip files a suit against RCI because they shipped some of his girlfriend's clothing to his wife.

9. Several weeks later, RCI management evaluates the costs of personnel, equipment, space, shipping, and legal defense and decides that it is not worth it so they abandon the program.

:D :D :D

Archived