Air Canada joins the club...

haligonian37

Hi Lorekauf----I would love to read the joke re AC. (Remember back when it was government owned and we called it "The Peoples' Airline"?) Why don't you send me the joke via Facebook?

I remember that Sapper. I'll try to remember to send it tomorrow if I can figure how facebook works. The joke was sent to me by a co-worker.

Yes, the $2300 mid week fare was for real. Business travellers used to really get it in the neck. I used to book crew travel for CBC sports in the 80's and the costs were astronomical.

Right now we are looking at $750 return for direct flights from Toronto to FLL in November. We are on the 26 day Amazon Explore. I don't see how we can do that with one bag each. It would be cheaper to drive but who wants to do that coming home on December 19? Decisions, decisions.

NEW YORK - AMR Corp said on Monday [4/28] that its American Airlines unit will begin charging most domestic passengers $25 to check a second bag next month, as it looks to offset the rising price of fuel.

American is one of the last major airlines to adopt a charge for checking a second bag, following rivals Delta Air Lines Inc, Northwest Airlines Corp and UAL Corp's United Airlines, which introduced the policy earlier this year.

Has anyone heard that Jet Blue will be charging for the extra bag, also.

It's less costly to check an extra bag than to go overweight by using one bag. We'll continue to check three for the two of us. I'd rather pay the $50 round trip than give them overweight fees.

But to put this in perspective, more than 10 years ago I would pay approx. $2300. to fly Vancouver-Toronto during the week. Today, I pay approx. $600. for the same flight on either airline. The planes are full, there is no meal service and no free drink service. I am happy to give these up for the difference in airfare.

I used to log about 100 flights a year. I paid about $800 for a routine flight from ORD to LAG or EWR. I had the convenience of a flight on multiple carriers 18 hours a day. We played a lot of games with btb bookings to keep the cost down. Expressed in current values, such flights should be costing about $1600 today.

Instead, even with all the surcharges, I can book a flight, same route for $250 R/T +/-. Of course it's not the same experience, that it once was. I am paying a fraction of what I used to pay for the same flight.

Like you, I prefer to appreciate the differences in cost, than dwell on the often times miserable, but safe experience.

Yes, the $2300 mid week fare was for real. Business travellers used to really get it in the neck. I used to book crew travel for CBC sports in the 80's and the costs were astronomical.

Right now we are looking at $750 return for direct flights from Toronto to FLL in November. We are on the 26 day Amazon Explore. I don't see how we can do that with one bag each. It would be cheaper to drive but who wants to do that coming home on December 19? Decisions, decisions.

I'll be driving to/from my HAL cruise around then. I really prefer driving, and the weather is seldom awful in December (not like January/February). And do you really want to fly when everyone is going home for Christmas? Just a thought....I've been up and down so many times, sometimes I think I could drive I-75 in my sleep. Sometimes I think I have :eek: (Wait, that's a reason not to drive - unless you have a relief driver?)

I think that we should assume, unless you are travelling business class or 1st class, that ALL airlines will be charging the $25. fee. Next will come, as per European airlines, an even smaller weight restriction and a higher per lb. overage charge.

As an aside, if you book Air Canada and are not checking baggage, they will give you a HUGE $5. credit. I seldom check any bags but never take advantage of this option. Downside...if you do this, take the fiver, and then show up at the airport to check a bag they will charge you $25. or $30..cannot remember.

The news tonight said that American has joined in. Effective with tickets purchased starting May 12th.

I know ... I posted a thread on it, inclusive of details, and so the helpful Board Monitors moved it.

I wonder why this thread remains on the HAL board, while a thread announcing the implementation of the new charge on AA gets moved?? :confused:

Motto: We're not happy until you're not happy.

Gotta love it. :D

Will anyone explain please the difference between "tango" and "latitude" economy? Besides the no charge for the second bag, I mean.

I think Air Canada inherited that motto from Eastern Airlines . I had some nightmares with them back in the day :(

I wonder why this thread remains on the HAL board, while a thread announcing the implementation of the new charge on AA gets moved?? :confused:
Hmmm. Good question. I never noticed it. Guess it vanished before I saw it.

of airlines charging $25 for a 2nd checked bag. I posted this in the cruise air forum but thought it would be helpful here as well.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/checked_n.html

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/04/25/air-canada.html

This thread may have not been moved because of the comment I added in the original posting. I figured some people don't wander over to the other parts of CC and could be helpful on this board.

Archived