Air Canada joins the club...

haligonian37

I couldn't agree with you more, although, nothing shocks me these days when it comes to AC.

Today, I'm just happy to have booked an Aeroplan points flight to Newark (flying on Continental to Barcelona) a couple of months back, even though I'm trying to embrace that crazy "pack light" concept. :)

Motto: We're not happy until you're not happy.

Gotta love it. :D

Will anyone explain please the difference between "tango" and "latitude" economy? Besides the no charge for the second bag, I mean.

They really should adopt that saying as their official motto....it's funny because it's true!

The easiest way to explain the difference is that "tango" is the lowest level of economy fare and usually the lowest priced. "Latitude" is the highest level of economy fare, one step below executive class. They're nice enough to provide a chart of fare differences on their website, free of charge! :rolleyes:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/oneway/index.html

The easiest way to explain the difference is that "tango" is the lowest level of economy fare and usually the lowest priced. "Latitude" is the highest level of economy fare, one step below executive class. They're nice enough to provide a chart of fare differences on their website, free of charge! :rolleyes:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/oneway/index.html

Thanks for the explanation, haligonian. The earlier chart is where my question came from; I noticed that "latitude" could still check two bags.

You're making it sound that the difference is something akin to "refundable" or not.

I just heard about this, too, on the radio 5:00 PM news (Toronto station).

I figure this was going to happen sooner rather than later. However its next to impossible to avoid a second bag if you are off on a cruise considering the need to bring formal wear on certain lines. :(

David

Who's flying Air Canada back from New York after the Transaltantic crossing on the QE2 this year but who has yet to book flights for next year's New England/Canada Maasdam cruise. Maybe returning home by Via Rail sounds like a solution at least in one direction!:rolleyes:

Exactly. If you get a Latitude ticket, you might as well just splurge for Executive class - the jump in fare from "Tango" is that high.

Tango is really a silly name for "Economy" that stems from when Air Canada actually had a separate low-cost airline it called Tango - basically, repurposed ex. Canadian Airlines A320's painted in a variety of bright, flashy colors. It was supposed to be their answer to WestJet, but it didn't take long for AC to repaint the planes and roll them into their regular fleet.

Air Canada doesn't have a lot of fans out here in the west; we've had our scheduled service cut by several flights per day, and to try to get anywhere is ridiculous. We often have to drive to Calgary if we're flying Europe, or end up paying an extra $800 per person (which works out to about $2 per mile) - we live nearly 400 miles from Calgary. I'm hoping the NW/Delta merger will help us out, but I'm not holding my breath. We always try flying WestJet or NorthWest when we travel, but sometimes you have no other option. And now they've joined the $25 per extra bag club . . . what a surprise.:rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

For anyone flying to or from New York or Newark from Toronto, have you considered Porter Air? True, you have to go to the Island airport, but it's a lot less hassle than Pearson and the planes are quite nice! $99 to Newark last I heard.

I have flown out of the Island airport and it is a nice alternative but there are several lobby groups politicking to get it closed. I haven't tried Porter though.

I live only 20 minutes from Pearson International so I pay the bigger fees just for the sheer convenience of practically landing on my front door step. Makes it nice upon returning from a long trip. :D

Ultimately, with the R word making the news this year and the skyrocketing prices of food and fuel its not surprising that this trend for extra baggage fees will snowball to all lines. Get prepared for paying fees for almost anything you do.:(

David

Motto: We're not happy until you're not happy.

Gotta love it. :D

Oh dear Ruth,

I don't know where you found that quote but I absolutely love it. Instead of just a quiet chuckle I actually laughed out loud. Thank you - you really made my day - I'm still laughing as I type this.

Thanks so much.

Valerie:)

I have flown out of the Island airport and it is a nice alternative but there are several lobby groups politicking to get it closed. I haven't tried Porter though.

I live only 20 minutes from Pearson International so I pay the bigger fees just for the sheer convenience of practically landing on my front door step. Makes it nice upon returning from a long trip. :D

Ultimately, with the R word making the news this year and the skyrocketing prices of food and fuel its not surprising that this trend for extra baggage fees will snowball to all lines. Get prepared for paying fees for almost anything you do.:(

David

I don't live that far from the airport either, about 20 minutes. But I have a friend who's flown Porter several times now both to Otttawa and NJ and swears by them. and you can't beat the price, plus their lounge is free, the seats are all leather and beer and wine is included in flight for everyone!

Porter Air http://www.flyporter.com/fly/Search.aspx?culture=en-CA

Air Canada doesn't have a lot of fans out here in the west; we've had our scheduled service cut by several flights per day, and to try to get anywhere is ridiculous. We often have to drive to Calgary if we're flying Europe, or end up paying an extra $800 per person (which works out to about $2 per mile) - we live nearly 400 miles from Calgary. I'm hoping the NW/Delta merger will help us out, but I'm not holding my breath. We always try flying WestJet or NorthWest when we travel, but sometimes you have no other option. And now they've joined the $25 per extra bag club . . . what a surprise.:rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

You got that right about them not having fans in the West. Air Canada sucks big time. I saw a funny joke about them the other day but it's too rude to post here....but it's really true. If there is another option for me to fly another airline even if its a bit more money I'll take it because I can't stand Air Canada.

I guess they need to make more money to keep paying Celine Dion to be their spokesperson. Another reason not to fly them.:D

I travel extensively by air in Western Canada-on both Wesjet and Air Canada. My experience is that both have good service. I prefer AC because of the connections. I don't fly AC from Calgary-Winnipeg because I do not like the equipment they use. But to put this in perspective, more than 10 years ago I would pay approx. $2300. to fly Vancouver-Toronto during the week. Today, I pay approx. $600. for the same flight on either airline. The planes are full, there is no meal service and no free drink service. I am happy to give these up for the difference in airfare. Service in smaller cities has suffered to be sure because both airlines establish routes based on economic demand-free market. This causes me inconvenience but it is the price we pay. Air travel in Canada is heavily taxed-both direct and 'hidden' taxes. On more that one occasion I have flown from Seattle-Fort Lauderdale for under $300 CAD when the AC and Wesjet fares from Vancouver were in excess of $700. taxes in.

I travel extensively by air in Western Canada-on both Wesjet and Air Canada. My experience is that both have good service. I prefer AC because of the connections. I don't fly AC from Calgary-Winnipeg because I do not like the equipment they use. But to put this in perspective, more than 10 years ago I would pay approx. $2300. to fly Vancouver-Toronto during the week. Today, I pay approx. $600. for the same flight on either airline. The planes are full, there is no meal service and no free drink service. I am happy to give these up for the difference in airfare. Service in smaller cities has suffered to be sure because both airlines establish routes based on economic demand-free market. This causes me inconvenience but it is the price we pay. Air travel in Canada is heavily taxed-both direct and 'hidden' taxes. On more that one occasion I have flown from Seattle-Fort Lauderdale for under $300 CAD when the AC and Wesjet fares from Vancouver were in excess of $700. taxes in.

Vancouver to Toronto $2300...that had to be business or first class right?

I have to admit that for the most part, my experiences with AC have been good. Only in the last 6-9 months or so have I encountered problems: lost luggage on a direct flight, poor to non-existent customer service, unexplained delays. The $25 charge was inevitable and when the time comes, I'll shell out the dough.

Sort of off topic but I saw many a comment on the CBC story about how hard it is to book flights with Aeroplan points these days. I've successfully booked two RT flights in the last 6 months and had nary a problem.

You got that right about them not having fans in the West. Air Canada sucks big time. I saw a funny joke about them the other day but it's too rude to post here....but it's really true. If there is another option for me to fly another airline even if its a bit more money I'll take it because I can't stand Air Canada.

I guess they need to make more money to keep paying Celine Dion to be their spokesperson. Another reason not to fly them.:D

Hi Lorekauf----I would love to read the joke re AC. (Remember back when it was government owned and we called it "The Peoples' Airline"?) Why don't you send me the joke via Facebook?

No, believe it or not that was the full fare economy fare in those days for a Monday departure Friday return. Business class was about $2800. as I recall BUT I was generally upgraded because I was a very frequent flyer. At that time the Vancouver to Calgary return fare was $850, Prince George was $900.

No, believe it or not that was the full fare economy fare in those days for a Monday departure Friday return. Business class was about $2800. as I recall BUT I was generally upgraded because I was a very frequent flyer. At that time the Vancouver to Calgary return fare was $850, Prince George was $900.

That is unreal! I can't recall ever paying those prices. Whenever I've gone however I probably stayed over the weekend which I'm sure made it chaeper.

Archived