It's time to stop worrying.....

julieanne

about what you look like as a tourist in Europe. I have been there many times and you know what? I am a tourist! I do try and dress appropriately for where I will be visiting, keeping shoulders and knees covered in religious venues. My DH and I have learned to pack lightly, using basic colors such as black and brown to mix and match. I pack capris, slacks and lightweight skirts with blouses and t-shirts along with some really fun, funky jewelry. I always carry a shawl for my head. I never call undue attention to myself by wearing extravagant pieces of jewelry or my designer handbags. Many places in Spain and Italy require extra attention to the people around you due to pickpockets, especially in high tourist areas. I would recommend dressing down in areas like Pisa and the Las Ramblas district in Barcelona. Wear comfortable shoes. I have seen Italian women in skinny jeans and 4 inch high stilettos walking on cobblestone streets with much difficulty. That being said, women and men there are not all fashionable. I haven't been there at fashion week, but I can say I have seen women and men in jeans, overweight, underweight and slaves to fashion! I think the best thing you can pack is common sense and respect. We have always been treated very well in Europe just by being friendly and respectful of the people and their customs! Just my two cents and I hope I didn't offend anyone :)!

Packing is never an issue for me. I don't "worry" about my clothing choices on cruises, in Europe or anywhere else. I dress with a enjoyment of fashion, a respect for the culture of the area I am visiting, and a eye toward practicality as I chose to travel light. I carry designer handbags and don't leave them at home when I travel. I am as careful in large European cities as I am in New York, Chicago or other North American cities.

They say there is a difference between a tourist and a traveler and I believe this to be true. I have always considered myself a traveler.

Packing is never an issue for me. I don't "worry" about my clothing choices on cruises, in Europe or anywhere else. I dress with a enjoyment of fashion, a respect for the culture of the area I am visiting, and a eye toward practicality as I chose to travel light. I carry designer handbags and don't leave them at home when I travel. I am as careful in large European cities as I am in New York, Chicago or other North American cities.

They say there is a difference between a tourist and a traveler and I believe this to be true. I have always considered myself a traveler.

Well said. I am with you 100% on this. Even with the upcoming 14 day Med cruise plus time in England and 5 formal and 7 informal (semi-formal) nights plus two elegant casual on the ship and having to deal with flying, it is not a concern. You just do it! And I intend to do it with one checked bag that is not overweight. :)

I may well get flamed for this, but here goes ...

I am always surprised that people are more concerned about their appearance when they travel. Granted, you're taking pictures and want to look "nice" when you look back in 15 years, but why not dress nicely even when at home?

For instance, decent leather shoes or sandals are just as attractive/comfortable/durable at home as they are when you're walking on a cobblestone street. Most of us (harried moms of many children excluded ;) ) have five minutes to coordinate our outfits either in the morning or one evening a week.

When we have traveled to cities in Europe I take the same things I would pack for a visit to a big city in the US or Canada. Sure, I do a bit of shopping in advance because that's half the fun of traveling. But it often seems like many people "save" their best efforts and outfits for vacation when we all should give ourselves the gift of making an effort to look our best every day.

Just my 2 cents worth!

I've always kinda felt this way! I'm hardly a slave to fashion and I don't want to dress in clothes completely different than I would at home. Mostly because I'm cheap and I don't want to go buy a whole new wardrobe for traveling.

I don't think anyone has disrespect for me when I'm in a different country because I'm not wearing leather shoes. I also don't think many people CARE. If you walk into a shop, at least in europe, you're not going to be charged more because you're an american (although right now you'll technically PAY more because of our economy.. YEESH). In some other parts of the world you're expected to barter so it doesn't matter if your a tourist or a local. You can still get a good price.

If you are respectful of their policies eapecially regarding religious expectations of certain places then you'll be fine.

and to me if you're a "traveler" then you probably already have those things in your wardrobe and you're not out seeing the sights. Travelers are probably writing articles, taking professional quality photos and doing studies of some sort on the culture. If you're not doing those things, you're probably a tourist!!

For going in cathedrals. Some require a head covering.

No Catholic cathedral requires a head covering.

The Current Code of Canon Law (1983) which replaces the Code of 1917 does not require heads be covered. You may enter any Catholic church with an uncovered head, and refusal to allow you entrance if your head is not veiled is a violation of your rights under current Canon law.

So keep your shawl to cover your arms if they are sleeveless, but you are not required to cover your head.

I carried a shawl to cover my arms because I went in the summer and it was hot, so I usaully wore a sleeveless top. Then, take the shawl out in the churches to cover my shoulders. Also, the weather can change very quickly, so the shawl also comes in handy when it starts to get a bit cool outside.

Head covering may not be required, but if the locals do it by tradition, then it's respectful for a visitor to do it as well. Refusing to abide by local customs because it's not required is one thing that makes some tourists so obnoxious.

julianne -- Very well stated. The idea that we can disguise by our clothing that we're visitors is ridiculous, and unnecessary. Almost everyone in every country welcomes guests, provided they are respectful and well-behaved. It's our behavior that makes us welcome (or not), not what we're wearing.

The covering is more all purpose. I have seen many women without a head covering but in foreign countries, if they wear one, then I have one with me. Tourist or traveler, makes no difference to me, I am American and my clothes are usually American. As for my DH, he loves european soccer and has jerseys from many countries that he usually wears in port. He has dark hair, tall and many people always try and speak to him! Me? I am short (4'10") and blonde and usually, it's pretty obvious we are not from around those parts! As for those designer handbags caviargal? I always take my along on the cruise, but as a tourist, I refuse to carry it in port. I only carry one on the plane, usually one of may largest! Lord knows, I do not want to be carrying the extra weight to any tourist attraction! I love clothes, I love fashion, but I have my own style and I don't concern myself with the fact that people may "guess" that I am American :D! Thanks, ladies, just felt like I had to say that :)

No Catholic cathedral requires a head covering.

The Current Code of Canon Law (1983) which replaces the Code of 1917 does not require heads be covered. You may enter any Catholic church with an uncovered head, and refusal to allow you entrance if your head is not veiled is a violation of your rights under current Canon law.

So keep your shawl to cover your arms if they are sleeveless, but you are not required to cover your head.

If you go to the church in Fatima, Portugal- you must cover your head.. not by any 'law' but because the locals will look at you like you are an evil wicked woman!!LOL

Julieanne - just interested, do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit because of your height? I am 4ft 11ins and from the UK and have a hard time getting clothes especially trousers that fit. I usually have to take trousers to the menders and get them hemmed.

Is it different in the USA? Our petite sizes are usually 5ft 3in, and there is a big difference between 5ft 3in and 4ft 11ins. Just wondered if you where better catered for over on the other side of the pond.

Julieanne - just interested, do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit because of your height? I am 4ft 11ins and from the UK and have a hard time getting clothes especially trousers that fit. I usually have to take trousers to the menders and get them hemmed.

Is it different in the USA? Our petite sizes are usually 5ft 3in, and there is a big difference between 5ft 3in and 4ft 11ins. Just wondered if you where better catered for over on the other side of the pond.

My grandmother was 4'11. She always had to have her trousers hemmed. However, she would be really cute capris (the kind with embroidery near the bottom), and they fit her as nice pants. People were always stopping her stores asking where she bought her pants. lol

She never minded the issue with having dress slacks hemmed...however she wore a size 4 in women's shoes and a 2.5 in children's. She had the WORST time finding high heels and dress shoes.

Just curious, what makes you say you are a traveler not a tourist?

Just curious, what makes you say you are a traveler not a tourist?

I asked this question on another thread as it's a quote I've read often on message boards and seen as part of marketing campaigns for various tv shows and tour agencies. Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/16/TRGQBF78L41.DTL&hw=john+flinn&sn=226&sc=308

For going in cathedrals. Some require a head covering.

I've been all over Europe, Asia and South America and have yet to go to a cathedral that required....or even requested.... a head covering.

Where did you experience this?

A few years ago I was in a very small Austrian village several hours from Vienna. This village was not frequented by "tourists" or even "travelers" and I would have felt very out of place had I not covered my head. All the local womens' heads were covered.

I've been all over Europe, Asia and South America and have yet to go to a cathedral that required....or even requested.... a head covering.

Where did you experience this?

I also have never been in a Catholic cathedral that required or requested a head covering.

I asked this question on another thread as it's a quote I've read often on message boards and seen as part of marketing campaigns for various tv shows and tour agencies. Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/16/TRGQBF78L41.DTL&hw=john+flinn&sn=226&sc=308

Great article...thanks for posting it. My thoughts are...if I feel at home when I'm traveling/touring, why bother going at all? I WANT to feel like a stranger in a strange land...I want to be filled with curiosity about the people and places that I visit...I want to continually learn and explore...I want to push my personal boundaries and experience new and unique points of view. I guess I'll call myself a travelling tourist...or maybe a touring traveler. Either way, it's clear that I'm an American...and happy to be on an adventure. :)

I carried a shawl to cover my arms because I went in the summer and it was hot, so I usaully wore a sleeveless top. Then, take the shawl out in the churches to cover my shoulders. Also, the weather can change very quickly, so the shawl also comes in handy when it starts to get a bit cool outside.

This is correct. I am a Catholic and have visited many churches / cathedrals all over Europe. I was refused entry into the Cathedral in the Gothic area of Barcelona last May because I was wearing a sleeveless top. As I am almost 60 (only 6 weeks to go) and don't expose my midriff (too much flabby flesh) you can tell that they are pretty strict re dress. I had been in the Cathedral on many other occasions but was always wearing a short sleeved top. Do not try and enter wearing short shorts either - down to or just past the knee is fine. The same applies to St Peter's Basilica in Rome. Better to wear a skirt, capris or slacks. I felt very embarassed in a Greek Orthodox church on the island of Samos when a visitor entered the Church wearing a strappy top showing copious amounts of breast. The young Greek Orthodox priest didn't know where to look. And yes, like me, she was English.

Ros

My grandmother was 4'11. She always had to have her trousers hemmed. However, she would be really cute capris (the kind with embroidery near the bottom), and they fit her as nice pants. People were always stopping her stores asking where she bought her pants. lol

She never minded the issue with having dress slacks hemmed...however she wore a size 4 in women's shoes and a 2.5 in children's. She had the WORST time finding high heels and dress shoes.

That's me: 4'11" (on a good day, lol!) and wear a size 4 or kids 2.5. It is a royal pain in the you-know-what.

Being from the Tourist Capital of the US, Orlando, I try to avoid "the tourist look" when I travel myself. I can be comfy, cool, and still look very presentable.

However, if I were to go to Europe, my American identity would be revealed the moment I opened my mouth to speak and my Southern drawl came out! :)

A few years ago I was in a very small Austrian village several hours from Vienna. This village was not frequented by "tourists" or even "travelers" and I would have felt very out of place had I not covered my head. All the local womens' heads were covered.

Interesting. Never saw that.

Will remember it when traveling to Austria. Thanks!

Great article...thanks for posting it. My thoughts are...if I feel at home when I'm traveling/touring, why bother going at all? I WANT to feel like a stranger in a strange land...I want to be filled with curiosity about the people and places that I visit...I want to continually learn and explore...I want to push my personal boundaries and experience new and unique points of view. I guess I'll call myself a travelling tourist...or maybe a touring traveler. Either way, it's clear that I'm an American...and happy to be on an adventure. :)

That's a great attitude to have! I think that the most important thing being a stranger anywhere is to just be respectful of the customs, culture and social nuances of the place you are visiting. It's just part of being a good person and that is universally understood and appreciated. I too love to meet and speak with people and wouldn't dream of trying to "blend in" with the crowd. Imagine the conversations we'd miss out on!

As far as the article, I've never seen the need for labeling who I am- whether it's in another country or my own backyard. I think that article sums it all up quite nicely.

Archived