why use costco or other card for your safe

They tell you not to, I guess if you lose it not only can someone get in your room (yes, they would have to figure out your room number) but then they can get in your safe. Also the room keys seem to lose their magnetic strip pretty easy and then you can't get in to your safe. We use an old expired or used up gift card.

so the first time you open the safe use a card other than your room key and then stick with it/

also i know most all peopel are honest ,but if you use your room key does your room attendant have acces to the safe/

I have very strong scripts i like to keep locked up for saftey

thank you

My understanding is that if you use your room card for the safe, anyone who has access to your room would also have access to your safe. We always use a credit card or some other card which has a magnetic strip.

I had no idea. My last cruise was on a different line and we just put in a number.

The Adventure has the keypads that you put in a number, some of the older ships have the other kind don't worry and welcome to the boards.

I had no idea. My last cruise was on a different line and we just put in a number.

There are two different kinds of safe, or rather, two different types of access.

One is a numerical keypad, which you have apparently encountered.

The other has a slot to swipe a card with a magnetic stripe.

:)

I am confused :confused: as to why people dont use their room key to open safe?

Can some one please clear up?

thank you

Picture receiving your ATM card, or any card that requires a PIN. The instructions will invariably say, "Do not use your birthday as your PIN."

That is to prevent someone who steals your wallet, and thus has access to personal information about you, from also getting an easy guess at your PIN.

Same thing with your room key - it has your room number on it. Not the whole thing - just the last three numerals, but a dishonest person could hit all the decks until he finds YOU, his victim.

Picture receiving your ATM card, or any card that requires a PIN. The instructions will invariably say, "Do not use your birthday as your PIN."

That is to prevent someone who steals your wallet, and thus has access to personal information about you, from also getting an easy guess at your PIN.

Same thing with your room key - it has your room number on it. Not the whole thing - just the last three numerals, but a dishonest person could hit all the decks until he finds YOU, his victim.

Exactly, there are only so many decks to check.

###

On the Grandeur last week our key card had our full room number on it.

That is really weird. We have been on about 5 or 6 RCCL cruises and have never had our room number on the key. It has our folio number only, along with our dining room table number.

That is really weird. We have been on about 5 or 6 RCCL cruises and have never had our room number on the key. It has our folio number only' date=' along with our dining room table number.[/quote']

Look at your SeaPass. Look at mine. See what I have circled? Under the table number. Mine says "018-256".

I was in Cabin 9256.

2281888770077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Are you absolutely sure? Mine have always had three numbers, not four, for the very reason stated above.

They took our seapass cards from us when we disembarked, but at the bottom of the card it was like someone else posted. We were in room 4073 so at the bottom of the card (under the folio number) it said something like: 014-073.

Look at your SeaPass. Look at mine. See what I have circled? Under the table number. Mine says "018-256".

I was in Cabin 9256.

2281888770077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh my goodness. You are absolutely correct. I apologize. I just found my old sea pass card from my last sailing on Splendour. We were in cabin 8028 and it shows 004-028. So if I accidentally dropped my card in the hallway on our deck, someone with bad intentions might realize that and would be able to get into our cabin. Maybe not the safe, but what if we had things laying around? I wonder if my old card would be a good one to use for the safe, though. I think I will bring it, as long as I don't get it confused with the current card.

I also found my old card from a Carnival cruise and compared the card to our cabin number. It had no numbers relating to the cabin at all on it. I think RCCL should change the way it prints the cards.

They took our seapass cards from us when we disembarked, but at the bottom of the card it was like someone else posted. We were in room 4073 so at the bottom of the card (under the folio number) it said something like: 014-073.

Wonder why they took your seasass card from you? Some people keep them in scrapbooks along with all the other souveneirs and pictures from the cruise. It's not like it could be used again. It has your name on it and the sailing date. I think it is like a hotel key, where it is "re-keyed" after each sailing. But then again, maybe I am wrong on this also.

Wonder why they took your seasass card from you? Some people keep them in scrapbooks along with all the other souveneirs and pictures from the cruise. It's not like it could be used again. It has your name on it and the sailing date. I think it is like a hotel key' date=' where it is "re-keyed" after each sailing. But then again, maybe I am wrong on this also.[/quote']

I questioned it too, I thought maybe it had something to do with the Grandeur getting into port so late on Saturday. Maybe they figured it was faster to collect the cards and scan them all out later than to have everyone scan themselves off.

Archived