What kind of shoes in the dinning room for

buckspc

Not even if it embarassed you?

(answer me, I want you to get to 100...:) )

LOL, didn't notice my post count...it's been an enjoyable 2 months on this board. And sometimes I lose site of the fact that I've never been on a cruise (and maybe I shouldn't participate in contentious issues like this yet...although these same issue apply off the ship so I inevitably do chime in).

To answer your question, the way someone acted (e.g. being rude to waitstaff) would embarrass me more than what they wore (especially footwear which I probably wouldn't even notice).

LOL, didn't notice my post count...it's been an enjoyable 2 months on this board. And sometimes I lose site of the fact that I've never been on a cruise (and maybe I shouldn't participate in contentious issues like this yet...although these same issue apply off the ship so I inevitably do chime in).

To answer your question, the way someone acted (e.g. being rude to waitstaff) would embarrass me more than what they wore (especially footwear which I probably wouldn't even notice).

Well, I've been cruising since 1980, so I guess I am a stickler for the dress codes. Years ago, every one dressed up. It was great! The atmosphere was formal, but very lively and fun to be caught up in. Being on a cruise is different than being in your regular world...your day to day life. It's an experience. It's out of the ordinary...a special time. To me, dressing up a little more than you would at home is to be expected. Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way...even if the dress code is set(not referring to the flip flop issue here).

(Ok, one more and you're there.:) )

Well, I've been cruising since 1980, so I guess I am a stickler for the dress codes. Years ago, every one dressed up. It was great! The atmosphere was formal, but very lively and fun to be caught up in. Being on a cruise is different than being in your regular world...your day to day life. It's an experience. It's out of the ordinary...a special time. To me, dressing up a little more than you would at home is to be expected. Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way...even if the dress code is set(not referring to the flip flop issue here).

(Ok, one more and you're there.:) )

I'm sure a lot (but not all) of the differences in opinion have to do with people that have cruised for years and are traditionalists vs. new people that see it as a nice vacation on a ship. There is no fault in either opinion.

For my first cruise, I plan to adhere to the Princess dress code (and personally won't wear flip flops to the dining room at night) on both smart casual and formal nights. I've read a number of opinions on the dining room...some saying that it is super fancy/best food ever, while others saying that it is solid but not spectacular. Certainly after I experience it myself I will have my own opinions on where it compares to other restaurants I have dined at. At which point I'm sure I'll become even more opinionated :D on what attire is appropriate.

Thanks for helping me get to 100 posts!

My gf and I are ready to set sail in less than 2 months aboard the Caribbean Princess!

You'll love the CB. My DH and I were on her last Summer and had a great time. I did miss some of the amenities from the Crown, but after CB's January '09 drydock, they will be much closer siblings. I will be very interested to sail on her again after the refit.

We did the same itinerary on the Crown two years ago. You'll love sailing out of the city. It's very special....sailing past the statue and under the bridge are not to be missed. I hope you have great sailing weather and are able to make it into Bermuda. We had to miss that port due to sea current....so they said.:rolleyes:

Have a Cheeseburger in Paradise at Margaritaville for me. Enjoy the pool!:D

I have seen many teens dressed to the teeth in gorgeous gowns, hair done beautifully, and faces made up. They looked wonderful, till you looked at their feet, and saw RUBBER flip flops, the kind most wear to the pool. I dont condone it, or even think it is passable, but I am not their parents, and they did go into the dining room with no problem. I do think if you dont like it, and you are paying the bill, that its up to you. Sometimes though, it is best to choose your battles with kids, and I dont think this one is worth a fight to the death for anyone.

Karen

I am sure this isn't something he just decided overnite but reflects on how the DD was raised.

Exactly. This is not a dress code question. That the OP had to come on this board at all to request "back up" for his position states volumes. That the response to his DD's behavior is that she now has to fly coach instead of first class to an all expense paid vacation for herself (and most likely her boyfriend) tells me that these antics have been tolerated for years with no repercussions.

I am going to get her so called boyfriend to talk to her about these fancy flips, he is coming along so may be she will listen to him, leaving them home is not a option, house would be a wreck when we returned. She will be home for the summer and it just can't be done, he also says he is only taking organic jeans and t's, he is dressing( green) now days. His words not mine, am I in for some fun or not. I may stay home mysefl, this is turning into a royal battle for some no good reason. It will work out, if you see 4 people being thrown off the Star in Seattle, guess who? Thanks for the input, Buck

If we were so kind as to pay our college age daughter's cruise fair and she gave me any grief, she would not be going. And my house would not be a wreck, because with all the money I saved not paying for her cruise, I would instantly get someone to change my locks at my home and she could shift for herself else where. Sounds like a real un-grateful kid and she wouldn't be wrecking my cruise being a brat. What has happened to common sense?

You'll love the CB. My DH and I were on her last Summer and had a great time. I did miss some of the amenities from the Crown...

One of the benefits of this being our first cruise....we won't notice any "missing" amenities!:D

I agree with other posters - it is a phase many teens, early 20's go through. They are establishing their independence. A psychologist friend the 'attitude' is part of nature's way of leaving the nest (e.g. GO - GO!)

She will outgrow it. I did :)

We just returned from our cruise and my mother in law was the one in flip flops because she had a terrible sunburn on her feet. yes, they were fancy ones.

Many teens had nice flip flops in the dining room and it was not a problem. She will not be kicked out.

Again, either she iwll feel embarrassed if wearing them when no one else is, and that is the best way for her to learn who she will become as she gets older. Some just have to learn for themselves.

I say don't change the locks quite yet - give her some slack and some time.

Whooooooooaaa Buck...... if booting your unappreciative daughter and her equally clueless boyfriend from sitting in first class on the plane represents your form of "discipline" then that pretty much speaks volumes. I think a long talk with little Susie and little Billy about respecting others and playing nicely is long overdue.... in fact, I'd be showing little Billy to the door as we speak.

This isn't anywhere NEAR about flip-flops, sir.... and not sitting or dining together isn't going to help in the very least.

I SURE hope that you enjoy your hard-earned cruise.... you SO deserve it!

As the father of 2 teens (and one very opinionated 9 year old), I can totally relate. I must say, it is comforting to know that most parents findthemselves in the same boat sooner or later; I do think the best revenge will be when they have teens of their own!

I personally would not make a big deal over choice of clothing/footwear...it just isn't worth the emotional effort. At this age they can be so opinionated and adamant; do you really want to escalate the conflict and risk longer term damage to your relationship? Let them dress as they please and eat at the buffet, and concentrate on the important things (like having a great Alaska vacation)...JMHO

Buck sounds like you got a grasp on the prob with the table for 2 and changing the air. Hopefully that will change the young lady's attitude sitting like a sardine in coach with screaming kids, no free drinks or snacks. Hopefully she won't be making out like a bunny with the boyfriend (sorry had to toss that one in LOL). But then again you will be up in the front of the plane enjoying yourselves. Have a wonderful cruise and let the daughter fend for herself.

I think a better tack would be for you to trust your daughter to "fit in", and if she doesn't, don't worry about it. It's not the end of the world and "punishing" her by not sitting with her on the plane and at dinner is NOT the way to teach anything. In my opinion, it just makes you appear spiteful - and over shoes no less. If you're embarrassed by the shoes she wears, maybe YOU need to think about why.

What a load.......:rolleyes:

When I was a kid and my brothers or my table manners were bad.......and we were not responding.........our Dad said......if we are going to eat like a dog......we can take our plate in and eat on the floor.....next to the dog's plate.

........I had to do it once........and got the message loud and clear.....:)

Whooooooooaaa Buck...... if booting your unappreciative daughter and her equally clueless boyfriend from sitting in first class on the plane represents your form of "discipline" then that pretty much speaks volumes. I think a long talk with little Susie and little Billy about respecting others and playing nicely is long overdue.... in fact, I'd be showing little Billy to the door as we speak.

This isn't anywhere NEAR about flip-flops, sir.... and not sitting or dining together isn't going to help in the very least.

I SURE hope that you enjoy your hard-earned cruise.... you SO deserve it!

ParentCritic.com might be a better place for you to criticize buck. While I do agree that she should follow the rules, its really not your place to belittle his daughter or boyfriend whom you dont even know. Maybe you would rather throw them off the airplane? He seems to have found a solution that works for him. Take it easy, maybe a NRB at 15 LPM would help you relax a bit and not be so uptight.

Back to the subject at hand. I agree with others that dressy sandals would be fine, but if she wears beach flip flops she might be turned away.

I say flip flops are ok, even at dinner. Maybe she has a pair that are a little "dress-up" instead of the 99 cent beach rubber flip flops. I say this because on all our cruises I have worn my dress "flip flops" to all meals. Those are the only shoes I own besides one pair of tennis shoes. Even on formal night I wear my "flip flops" with heels. These days there are many kinds of "flip flops" and they are called sandals. A flip flop only means that the heel portion of the sandal is not there, thus making a "flip flop" sound when you walk.

I sure don't consider heels with a thong between the toes to be a fliip-flop--the current name for go-aheads--shows how old I am--I wear only sandals to dinner with no problem--they can be and are very dressy--flip-flops are rubber beach sandals--even without heels they look good with pants--most of the shoes now have a bit of decoration--She can wear a sundress and a pair of sandals and be just fine !!!!!!

Nancy:D

I'm wearing rubber sandals with pink jewels/sequins--not $1.00 rubber beach shoes--yes--I live part time at the beach--I also wear these in the desert--I'm old enough I wouldn't be bothered about shoes--if I'm dressed resonably!!!!

Nancy:D

LOL, didn't notice my post count...it's been an enjoyable 2 months on this board. And sometimes I lose site of the fact that I've never been on a cruise

Well, DGNY, don't you think it is about time you booked a cruise? :D

Spoke too soon, you have! Saw your next post after I posted this. LOL

But a cruise is a vacation, not work. She has plenty of time to "grow up". FTLOG, dad needs to lighten up. It's only shoes people !!!!!!!!!!!

ps - Here in Key West everyone wears flip flops to work. Seriously, we do ! And that's what kids wear to school too!

I agree. Treasure the moment of spending time with your daughter. There is something more to this than flip flops. By the way, flip flops are worn all over Manhattan in the work force as well, not that I agree with this, but this is how it is. Years ago my hubby wore a suit every day. Now on very rare occasion. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

All of this advice from both sides of the fence Buck, did you ever imagine?????

I know you will do what you feel is right, know matter which that is. All the advice in the world from the internet isn't going to assist much, as none of us actually know your family, your daughter, or how you do things.

I just wish you all the best on your cruise and hope everything works out, as it usually does once onboard. Have a great cruise and enjoy it to it's fullest.

Archived