What kind of shoes in the dinning room for

buckspc

Breakfast and Lunch? Are flip flops ok, as thats all my daughter will wear at all times, I have told her she can't go in for dinner with flip flops but she says she is going to do it anyway, She knows everything, if anyone wants to know anything just ask her. I am teed off at her but doesn't do any good. She is in college and says she can do whatever she wants including the way she dresses on a ship, she says whats the big deal about shoes? I am through talking to her and will just see what happens. I would like to seat her at a table for 1. Thanks Buck

Breakfast and Lunch? Are flip flops ok, as thats all my daughter will wear at all times, I have told her she can't go in for dinner with flip flops but she says she is going to do it anyway, She knows everything, if anyone wants to know anything just ask her. I am teed off at her but doesn't do any good. She is in college and says she can do whatever she wants including the way she dresses on a ship, she says whats the big deal about shoes? I am through talking to her and will just see what happens. I would like to seat her at a table for 1. Thanks Buck

Yes they are at Breakfast/Lunch. :)

Buck, just send her up to Horizon Court for all of her meals. She can pretty much wear anything she wants there for meals (well, except for nothing and an uncovered up bathing suit, of course). No jeans or shorts in the main dining rooms for dinner(teenagers, that's all they want to wear......:rolleyes: ).

I've made my way through three of them (youngest will be 22 this year), and you can't tell them anything. I guess that she would change her mind if they tell her she won't be seated and won't get her evening meal....

Maybe can encourage her by telling her all the great food she'll be missing out in the Dining Room? Food in the Horizon Court isn't bad but the food in the Dining Rooms is really great stuff and be a pity to miss out.

My brother-in-law and father-in-law were turned away and had to go change on the first night when wearing shorts and sandals. If your ship is like ours (Crown Princess), they will not hesitate to turn her around.

Maybe ask her to bring at least nice, black pumps to use for "formal" and "smart casual" nights?

There was at least one tropical night so she'll be fine that one evening. Best of luck.

I know I will get blasted for this, but I have to ask, to make sure I understand:

YOU are taking her on a cruise (and presumably paying her fare)?

YOU are probably paying her tuition, or a large portion of it, in college?

SHE is copping that attitude with you?

I think I would tell her that flip flops are fine, at home, which is where she is staying.

Thank-you to the last two posters as you took the words right out of my mouth. If that is the attitude she is showing, stay home. However you might point out to her that in real life (which she will be entering in the not too distant future after college) any company she wants to work for, probably won't allow her to wear flip flops so she might just start getting used to it.

WOW! I'm not far out of college (I'll be 24 in May) and have never (at least I don't think I have) acted and never will act like that towards my parents! Especially not about clothing or shoes.

Anyway...I would tell her to eat in the buffet (as others have suggested) or stay home if she chooses not to listen to what you recommend. She should feel lucky to just be going on vacation!

Don't worry your daughter will grow out of her attitude. Mine did and they are fine now. It is amazing how they change once they get on the boat!! We took our 5 teens on a cruise and they didn't want to go! Can you imagine. I tried to get them to look at shore tours but they just were not interested. Well let me tell you how that tune changed once they got on the boat. We all had a ball!! They dressed every night for dinner without being asked to. It was amazing. So chin up and have a good time!!

I say flip flops are ok, even at dinner. Maybe she has a pair that are a little "dress-up" instead of the 99 cent beach rubber flip flops. I say this because on all our cruises I have worn my dress "flip flops" to all meals. Those are the only shoes I own besides one pair of tennis shoes. Even on formal night I wear my "flip flops" with heels. These days there are many kinds of "flip flops" and they are called sandals. A flip flop only means that the heel portion of the sandal is not there, thus making a "flip flop" sound when you walk.

Buck,

Aren't you going on the May 4th Star Princess sailing to Alaska? I thought I saw you on our roll call. If so, maybe her feet will get cold and she'll put on shoes. If not...at least I'll be able to recognize you guys!

Barbara

As soon as you set sail and she takes them off toss them overboard. Or tell her when she pays her own way, she can do as she pleases. Do some of you parents wonder why your precious little darlings are spoiled rotten. Think about it.

Thats my two cents worth:( :(

Just think - someday she will be as dumb as she thinks you are!!

Ron

Guest scfjjb
I know I will get blasted for this, but I have to ask, to make sure I understand:

YOU are taking her on a cruise (and presumably paying her fare)?

YOU are probably paying her tuition, or a large portion of it, in college?

SHE is copping that attitude with you?

I think I would tell her that flip flops are fine, at home, which is where she is staying.

Not being blasted by me .... if she knows so much pay she should pay her way! (Yes - I'm probably just old fashioned - I DID pay my own way and still respected my parents!)

Wait a minute.

What kind of flip-flops are we talking about?

The cheap rubber beach kind wouldn't be appropriate in the dining room at dinner, however there are nicer ones available that are totally fine. I have a pair of faux-leather ones that are embellished with beads which I purchased in Target that I always wear on cruises. Same with basic sandals from Payless. I have a pair of flat strappy black ones from Payless that I wear on formal night, since I can't wear heals due to an ankle injury.

Perhaps a shoe shopping excursion can cure the problem. There are some really beautiful "flip flops" out there. Many that are leather soled and full of sparkles. They may not be the Teva or Reefs she's wanting to wear, but they would satisfy both mom's and daughter's need for compromise. What say you?

Most of you have answered the specific question (prob OK for breakfast and lunch but not for dinner unless they are pretty high end and fancy). I think what most people forget is this is the attitude for a whole generation. I used to work with a bunch of early 20-somethings (no, I'm not even close) and they have been brought up to believe that casual attire is acceptable everywhere. Dress pants (or even dockers) are unheard of... all they want is Jeans. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but I've seen many turn down a job if they felt the dress requirement was too stringent. Let's hope most grow up to appreciate dressing up.

Good luck..

I am going to get her so called boyfriend to talk to her about these fancy flips, he is coming along so may be she will listen to him, leaving them home is not a option, house would be a wreck when we returned. She will be home for the summer and it just can't be done, he also says he is only taking organic jeans and t's, he is dressing( green) now days. His words not mine, am I in for some fun or not. I may stay home mysefl, this is turning into a royal battle for some no good reason. It will work out, if you see 4 people being thrown off the Star in Seattle, guess who? Thanks for the input, Buck

Sorry for the consternation your daughter has caused. Seems to me to be bigger things underlying your relationship than dining room footwear. So good luck.

My personal response would probably be something like "I guess if you know everything, so then you'll know how to pay for your cruise".

As you already know, the more you push her, the more your daughter will dig in. So, let it go. If she tries going to dinner in rubber thongs and gets turned away and embarrassed, that's part of her education. It does NOT reflect on you. She is an adult and her attitude will only speak about her, so don't worry, be happy!

WeBeGone's idea actually works! There are so many dressy sandals designed as flipflops with beads and bangles, sequins and jewels that would pass muster very well. Get some summer time shoe catalogues and leave them open to the dressy sandals page. Maybe she'll see something she likes and decide that wearing dressy sandals to dinner is her own idea.

Truth be known----she probably will be allowed in the dining room for dinner in her flip flops. They rarely refuse anyone based on the clothes they wear and I doubt they'd even look at her feet nor stop her if they did.

Archived