NCL sued over restaurants' booking non-avaiability

tom_uk

Absolutely ridiculous! In 7 Freestyle cruises, I have never had a problem getting reservations at the alternative restaurants. Perhaps it's because I am willing to be flexible with my dining times but, whatever the reason, my experience is radically different from the plaintiff's.

John I think most of us here would agree with you.

I think it really has to do not just with flexibility, but with timing and attitude. In my experience, if the restaurant I want is full, I just go somewhere else. Is it frustrating? Sure. Sometimes. But, that doesn't give me the base for a law suit. Gimme a break!

Methinks this one will be thrown out of court with the judge laughing his head off! :D

John I think most of us here would agree with you.

I think it really has to do not just with flexibility, but with timing and attitude. In my experience, if the restaurant I want is full, I just go somewhere else. Is it frustrating? Sure. Sometimes. But, that doesn't give me the base for a law suit. Gimme a break!

Methinks this one will be thrown out of court with the judge laughing his head off! :D

I agree that this isn't necessarily the best use of resources (this kind of lawsuit). But to play devil's advocate (since everyone else has the exact same opinion), it seems like everyone is saying "as long as you are flexible, you can get reservations- it might not be the time or place that you want, but you can get some reservations." Now, anyone think that is exactly what NCL promises in it's ads? I just watched one that said: "eat where you want, when you want, with whom you want." Now being an avid reader of these boards, I know what that means, that reservations and flexibility are required etc etc etc. But it seems that everyone here also agrees that NCL is promising a little more in its ads that in can deliver- no one seems to think it is reasonable to expect to eat "where you want, when you want," at least when it comes to the specialty rest's. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think part of this has to do with NCL overreaching with its marketing, just a tiny bit, without making sure it has capacity for everyone to take advantage of what it is selling.... Not sure it merits a class action lawsuit, but I do see why some people who are new to NCL get frustrated that they aren't getting what they thought they were...

[dons flame-resistant apparel]

One wonders when the case is thrown out if the Miami Herald will be as interested in the story and print a follow up. We've been in many of the a la carte restaurants where they were half empty and still heard people complaint they couldn't get in. Can't get in, move on to the next one or head for the buffet. I'm sure they didn't go hungry during their cruise. Got to wonder what made the lawyer take the case in the first place - can't be hoping for big bucks from class action on something this frivolous and unfounded. (or is that the same thing? ) It appears he may not have done his homework on this one. Wish there was more detailed information. I may not always be happy with NCL Reservations - but not being told I wouldn't be able to get into a restaurant (limited seating) was not something I would expect them to tell me. Isn't the reservation situation explained in the Freestyle ?

I agree that this isn't necessarily the best use of resources (this kind of lawsuit). But to play devil's advocate (since everyone else has the exact same opinion), it seems like everyone is saying "as long as you are flexible, you can get reservations- it might not be the time or place that you want, but you can get some reservations." Now, anyone think that is exactly what NCL promises in it's ads? I just watched one that said: "eat where you want, when you want, with whom you want." Now being an avid reader of these boards, I know what that means, that reservations and flexibility are required etc etc etc. But it seems that everyone here also agrees that NCL is promising a little more in its ads that in can deliver- no one seems to think it is reasonable to expect to eat "where you want, when you want," at least when it comes to the specialty rest's. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think part of this has to do with NCL overreaching with its marketing, just a tiny bit, without making sure it has capacity for everyone to take advantage of what it is selling.... Not sure it merits a class action lawsuit, but I do see why some people who are new to NCL get frustrated that they aren't getting what they thought they were...

I think part of what you say is true, but I also think most people know or should that advertising is usually not exactly as it appears; it is a sales tool. That being said, I do know many are frustrated with the advertising. I guess it can be a little misleading, certainly not enough for a law suite.

Nita

Tchix ~ you make a good point. But, wouldn't you say that most advertising out there is selling a little more than what is really available? For instance, Royal Caribbean says that "There's Something For Everyone in the Caribbean Isles." There may be lots of people who can't do something in the Caribbean Isles for any number of reasons (like young children, for example). Cunard says they have "The Most Famous Ocean Liners in the World." Is that really true? Or M&M's claim that they "Melt in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hand." Guess what? M&M's do melt in my hand (if I hold them long enough). So, in keeping with your theme of playing Devil's Advocate, I think that NCL's advertising may bear some blame. But, ultimately, we as consumers are responsible for obtaining as much info as possible about something we are about to purchase.

{Flame retardent suit on}

Although in principal you may be right. However, one could take that a step further and say "I wanted to have dinner with the Captain every night and they wouldn't let me" No flames from me - but maybe they will go with the "reasonable expectations" route if it gets that far. Wonder what the small print said. :)

I just watched one that said: "eat where you want, when you want, with whom you want." Now being an avid reader of these boards, I know what that means, that reservations and flexibility are required etc etc etc. But it seems that everyone here also agrees that NCL is promising a little more in its ads that in can deliver- no one seems to think it is reasonable to expect to eat "where you want, when you want," at least when it comes to the specialty rest's.

Taking the reservation restaurants out of the equation, it is... 'eat where you want, when you want, with whom you want.' As opposed to the traditional way of 6:00 or 8:00. The reservation restaurants being an added benefit of various choices for those who wish to utilize those venues. Other lines have their own reservation restaurants, though probably not as many choices, but when you choose 6:00 or 8:00 dining it has nothing to do with their extra reservation venues. They aren't going to put you in a 6:00 seating at an extra cost restaurant.

On other lines, for regular dining options you have the choice of times for the main dining room and that's all. And you sit with others you don't know. And you don't know what restaurant it's going to be in until you're 'assigned' a venue. As opposed to NCL with no set dining venue, no set dining time, no set dining companions. And there you have... 'eat where you want, when you want, with whom you want.'

Not a flame, I've just always looked at it this way and feel NCL is true in their advertising. I think the problem some people have with it is in throwing the equation of the 'extra' options of reservation restaurants into the mix. When they are just that. Extra options.:)

However, Nita, I have heard you bashing lawyers before on other thread. I hope that when my husband fights for rights for seniors and the disabled, whatever he accomplishes is not something that you reap the benefits of. There certainly are plenty of bad lawyers around, just like there are dishonest sales people, tradesmen, etc. I have no idea what you do for a living, or did if you are now retired, but I am sure that there are dishonest people in that business too, so please do not say this again.
Robin, Robin, Robin, I'm sure Nita wasn't referring to the type of lawyer your husband is. I work for a bunch of lawyers, and they're not the ones she's referring to either. But, boy, have I seen the type she IS referring to. Those few give all of them a bad name. Don't take things so personally!

There was a local restraunt that advertised to come down this weekend for a special they were having, I called and they were all booked up.

They told me to come enjoy the special... then they told me they were full and I couldn't go!

I bet if I was famous or someone considered important they would have gotten me in.... maybe I should sue them!!!

If the amusement park advertises a brand new ride, you get there and the line is all the way through the park and by the time its your turn the park is closed (all the while people who paid more for a "bypass the line" pass and those who are handicap have been getting right in), should you sue for that too?

Its called common sense...

So, I guess her next law suit will be against a land-based restaurant for not being able to get a reservation when SHE wants it there either???? Or, maybe against Outback because she had to wait too long for a table!!!What, is she kidding? Now, I've seen everything!

That was my thought exactly. There are many land based restaurants that sell out weeks or months in advance especially for occasions like Mother's Day. You don't make you plans far enough in advance too bad, stay at home or find another restaurant.

What I can attest to is, when we sailed on NCL when free-style was in its infancy, we were booked in a suite. We had an issue with getting a certain table for our group of 6 that was being held for someone who never showed up. We wanted a round, not a rectangular table. I am sure that I agree with those who have discussed how rediculous this lawsuit is.

However, Nita, I have heard you bashing lawyers before on other thread. I hope that when my husband fights for rights for seniors and the disabled, whatever he accomplishes is not something that you reap the benefits of. There certainly are plenty of bad lawyers around, just like there are dishonest sales people, tradesmen, etc. I have no idea what you do for a living, or did if you are now retired, but I am sure that there are dishonest people in that business too, so please do not say this again.

The fact that you have classified getting the rectangular table instead of the round table as an "issue" on a cruise that you took some time ago suggests that you may find it difficult to relax and not take things personally.

If you review Nita's comments again considering their content and context, perhaps you could agree that Nita was not bashing lawyers at all, but rather expressing a sense of frustration with what has become an epidemic of the attitude of entitlement among many in our society. Unfortunately, the type of lawsuit under discussion in this thread is the face of that epidemic, and one that exerts a wholly negative impact on legitimate litigation.

By the way, from reading her posts, my guess is that Nita is, or has been, a travel agent.

WinterSky

Originally Posted by tchix View Post

I think part of what you say is true, but I also think most people know or should that advertising is usually not exactly as it appears; it is a sales tool. That being said, I do know many are frustrated with the advertising. I guess it can be a little misleading, certainly not enough for a law suite.

Nita

It sounds like Nita is agreeing with the person filing the lawsuit, as she feels she was mislead!

I'm a diehard NCL and FreeStyle fan, and certainly feel the lawsuit is not worthy and should be thrown out. That being said, I do feel sorry for the many passengers who do not get to enjoy the Specialty restaurants, especially once they decide to make a reservation and can not get one. We've been fortunate on all of our NCL cruises to most always get the time and place that we want, but credit that to experience and good planning. I was disappointed when NCL decided to allow everyone to be able to make reservations for their entire cruise once boarding the ship, as it meant we had to do more advance planning than we did before. Our style has been to plan our specialty nights around things like our in port activities, Stardust shows, and at sea activities like martini clinics. We realize a 5:30 pm dinner may not be that good of an idea following a 3:00 pm martini clinic!! We were also very happy when they went back to the old policy for making reservations, allowing for more flexibility during the cruise for making changes to our initial "gameplan". Their recent price expansion and increases will also make it a bit easier to access the Specialty restaurants.

There was one cruise when we met a couple who mid cruise decided to make a reservation for the last night at Cagney's, and found that it was booked solid as well as all other Specialties. Since we already had a reservation at Cagney's that night, we checked and found that we had been penciled in for a table for four, so we were able to bring the couple along with us. They were very grateful for the opportunity, and truely enjoyed their dining experience at Cagney's.

Though I do not feel the lawsuit is justified, I do believe the complaint is legitimate. The blame should be shared not only with NCL's advertising which would appear to make it simple to dine where and when you would like, but also the passengers who also must accept responsibility for not doing their homework. After all, the same problems could occur in your own hometown when you try to make reservation at a familiar restaurant. I feel we are all fortunate to have come across this website to enhance our experience and educate ourselves on the do's and don'ts related to cruising.

Or M&M's claim that they "Melt in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hand." Guess what? M&M's do melt in my hand (if I hold them long enough).

You know, many many years ago I was surprised to open my hand and find a lot of colored dots on my palm. It only happened once, but you are correct, M&Ms can melt in your hand.

Perhaps the family that is suing NCL would be interested in meeting the family I met on the first cruise of the Jade (from Los Angeles to Miami). It was a family of five in two inside cabins. They wanted to go to the Italian restaurant but tried to make their reservations too late. They were going to give it an earlier try the following day.

Being in a suite on that cruise I knew I could help them out. So I follow up and they were able to eat in the Italian restaurant without my help. This is in my review (its the first member review for the Jade on CC).

While I prefer the set dining time over Freestyle, I don't believe the advertising is misleading. You can eat when you want, where you want, and with who you want (as long as who wants to eat with you) IF you plan far enough in advance.

When I was on the Star (October 2005 in a standard balcony cabin) I called every morning and made my reservations, and never had any trouble. Granted, when I was on the Jade sometimes I waited until the afternoon, since I knew I would get the reservation I wanted (again, I was in a suite). However, I also purposely choose the least popular time because everything was half price. In fact there were times I just showed up without a reservation and got in.

The more flexible you are, the less advance planning you have to do. The less flexible you are, the more advance planning you have to do, unless of course you are in a suite.

Now if she thinks she had problems, at least she didn't have to go the entire cruise without BBQ chicken (see my review). When I found out there wasn't going to be any I was going to jump overboard. However, at the time I was inside, and I would have looked like a fool jumping into the window, especially with all the senior officers there in the same room. So I licked my wounds and managed to survive the entire cruise without my coveted BBQ chicken that I had been waiting two and one half years for (again, read my review). That BBQ chicken alone might get me back on another NCL cruise (though this time I'll have it written into the contract - just in case).

I understand the devil's advocate position, but I reject it. After all, ALL marketing and advertising tend to exaggerate and mislead, but anyone who's not naive learns that lesson early in life and figures out that one needs to approach marketing promises with a lot of common sense.

Maybe we should all put together a class action suit and sue every politician who has broken his campaign promises?

I'm pretty sure that this lawsuit will not succeed under any set of facts, but many posters have indicated that it is always possible to get a reservation if you get up early enough.

In thoery, this might not be true. Because VIPs can make reservations before others (not just people in suites), it is possible that, on a cruise with a large group granted VIP status, one or more specialty restaurants might be completely booked for the entire cruise prior to being opened up to non-VIP reservations. This seems unlikely to me, but I think it is possible.

In my case, even though I was almost first in line every day for reservations, there were very few spots available in Teppanyaki on Pearl towards the end of the cruise.

After all, ALL marketing and advertising tend to exaggerate and mislead, but anyone who's not naive learns that lesson early in life and figures out that one needs to approach marketing promises with a lot of common sense.

True enough- isn't that the point of advertising and public relations? :) But, it's also true that the law says you can't have misleading advertising. Exaggeration is okay- misleading is not. And I don't think anyone here REALLY thinks that you can say anything in advertising, regardless of whether it is true... To someone who has been on a number of freestyle cruises, it may be common sense that you can't really pick your time or exact restaurant when you want. And it may not be common sense to think that eating "with whom you want" would include the captain, etc. But for new folks, given how hard NCL sells this concept, I don't think it's totally unreasonable to think it would be the exception (rather than the rule), that you can't really pick your restaurant and time that you want.

i was able to make reservations for 2 meals last year on the Spirit...both in Le Bistro. thing is...i normally wake up 5am (even on vacation).

so there i am keeping the front desk people company while i wait for the resturant reservations rep to open up shop.

hehehehehehe...i'm crazy i know! then after that i go to the pool deck and hog up 2 chairs for DW and i.

True enough- isn't that the point of advertising and public relations? :) But, it's also true that the law says you can't have misleading advertising. Exaggeration is okay- misleading is not. And I don't think anyone here REALLY thinks that you can say anything in advertising, regardless of whether it is true...

I'm sure you're right that, legally, a company cannot mislead in its advertising but to the average joe this is splitting hairs, a game of semantics. "Misleading" then needs to be defined, which varies depending on the judge hearing the case. Companies typically walk a fine line between exaggeration and misleading. The problem is no one can definitively point to where that line is.

Archived