Any Experience Sharing a Vista with a "Group"?

fann1sh

Just when I thought our 7 day December 14/08 Westerdam cruise was safe from a charter, I discovered a group of (we believe) 600 people will be sharing the ship with us:

http://www.nationcruise.com/

I'm trying to decide whether to cancel. I know there have been horror stories of such groups sucking the fun out of the cruise. But, surely not every cruise sailing with a group experiences problems? I don't want to over-react.

BTW I've tried to use search for past threads on this topic. Perhaps I'm using the wrong key words, or am simply inept :o

Any posts from people who've cruised with a larger group would be greatly appreciated!

This should only be a problem to the extent that you find yourself locked out of common areas of the ship that are being held for the exclusive use of the group. Certain lounges may be reserved for their use on certain days or at certain times. Is Jackson Browne going to perform for only 600 people? Might be a bigger group than you're thinking it is. If it was me I'd give some serious thought to booking another week. Or join the group.:D

I'm trying to decide whether to cancel. I know there have been horror stories of such groups sucking the fun out of the cruise. But, surely not every cruise sailing with a group experiences problems? I don't want to over-react.

I doubt this kind of group is gonna present a problem. They will use some meeting rooms (that would be closed anyway) during the daytime, and maybe they might have a cocktail party or two during the sailing. It doesn't sound, though, like they will wreck the sailing for others. In fact, I tend to think you won't even realize they are onboard as a group.

Now if you were talking a fraternity or an incentive group from a car dealership or something like that, then I would say cancelling might be a good idea. Those groups can number up to a thousand (and sometimes even more) and they would definitely take over the ship. But here you're talking about 600 people on a Vista that carries close to two thousand people. 600 are not gonna take over that sailing ... no way.

I say continue on with your cruise. This sort of group won't bother you.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This should only be a problem to the extent that you find yourself locked out of common areas of the ship that are being held for the exclusive use of the group. Certain lounges may be reserved for their use on certain days or at certain times. Is Jackson Browne going to perform for only 600 people? Might be a bigger group than you're thinking it is. If it was me I'd give some serious thought to booking another week. Or join the group.:D

Why wouldn't Jackson Browne do a concert for 600 people?

I'm going on a cruise in September where some of the stars of the tv show Battlestar Galactica will be presenting a full program of activities for a group far smaller than this one.

If Jackson Browne is a member of the group, or shares their purpose/outlook, etc., he might be willing to do a show for 600 people. Why not?

As for the group being larger than 600, though, that's always a possibility, especially when you look at some of the "big names" coming along. Those names will draw more group members. Of course, if the group does get huge, their presence could create a problem ... but I still say based on the type of group this is, I can't imagine the group becoming too large.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'd probably check and see if I can find out what their dining situation is going to be. I've read on CC where other passengers were bumped around so the large group could be accommodated. I'd also try and find out if the Crow's Nest is going to be reserved for any long period of time for this group. Chances are it won't be, but I'd at least ask. However, you may not be able to find out that answers to either of these questions, but it's something I'd think about if I had a group that size on my sailing.

... about the private parties at the Lido/Pool area and the cocktail/dancing in the Crow's Nest before dinner. Will the Crow's Nest be off limits to other passengers at that time? Perhaps you can get some quasi-straight answers from your T/A or from HAL, tho I question whether HAL would give you the iinside skinny on closed off/reserved areas. From the website, looks like the group is doing late fixed dinner ... so that could be an issue if that was also your preference.

Well if it was me, I'd be cancelling my cruise. You can bet this group will be taking over the ship in various ways (private pool cocktail parties, Crow's Nest dancing, seminars, concert, etc.) and even if they are not exclusive, you might feel out of place. Also, they seem to have the 8:15pm dining room time set up for them. Did you see the gallery of photos from past cruises? Seems like a huge group that is very capable of taking over areas of the ship. Happy Sailing!

Wow, that looks like a very cool group to sail with! :)

I sailed on the Westerdam this year with 2 large groups. I don't know the member count of either. One was a Christian music group and the other was for singles over age 40. Neither group got in the way of our fun. The music group used the Vista Lounge during the daytime a lot.

I was on the W'dam last year with a large group.

While it is a big ship, the group was in every public room

and lounge at some point and most of the late seating

dinner service.

I recall only one day when the Crow's Nest was closed

for them.

It wasn't the best. try to find out as much as you and

your TA can about how much of the ship they are

going to claim as theirs for their group to use.

you might find it ok, or not.

good luck

Yes, I was on the Oosterdam this past February with this Big Group called Yum Yum Man Worshipers, with the worshipping thing thought they were some kind of church group but they sure knew how to laugh and have a fun, everyone was asking if they could join the group.:D Oh, You mean the other way around sailing with a large group cruise:D ;)

Actually I have been on several, once on the Oosterdam where there was about 600 Mac Geek cruise. Yes they were holding different session in the Half Moon room and other venues but it never impacted our cruise at all. In looking at this group I would assume that had you not found this info on the net or here on CC you will not have even really know there was a group on board.

We've been on a few cruises with groups of varying size. As others have mentioned, some of the areas of the ship may be in use for meetings, cocktail parties, etc. On one ship, we had a country music large group and their idea of formal was a nicer plaid shirt. It created a different ambience on formal nights plus they did take over many areas of the ship.

On our most recent cruise, last month on the Westerdam, there was a large group of grocers from Kentucky. They took over a large area of the dining room at 8:00 fixed seating. They were loud and rude to the staff. We changed our dining situation as a result.

If I were you, I'd change your booking. I think this group might grow in size and become a full charter.

Thanks to all who've responded so far.

I'm still a bit anxious, because we have already been affected by The Nation's presence aboard. Tried to get late fixed dining - not available, despite being in a suite - were confirmed for early fixed. But, dining time isn't a deal breaker for us.

What would be the deal breaker is if the group's presence affected daily Team Trivia! :D Since it's unlikely (OK - impossible) to find that out in advance, I'm going to wait for the opening of HMC cabanas for our sailing. If it looks as if The Nation has these pre-reserved...well that's another definite deal breaker.

Lisa and Rita - yep, I've been "the Group", too. Specifically, a couple science fiction themed cruises, like Rita's. The night of the costume call, we must have scared the bejabbers out of the non-SF "mundanes" cruising with us. :eek:

Actually I have been on several, once on the Oosterdam where there was about 600 Mac Geek cruise. Yes they were holding different session in the Half Moon room and other venues but it never impacted our cruise at all. In looking at this group I would assume that had you not found this info on the net or here on CC you will not have even really know there was a group on board.

If I recall, you and Middle-Aged Mom were on a cruise last year with several groups, one of which had 800-900 passengers. If I recall, they were not noticable other than they had the entire Open Seating Dining Room and bumped passengers from that venue, which you were not aware of, at the time.

I would call the group organizer and pose as someone interested in booking. Ask about their plans for din-din, which seating and where.

Be aware, the number they expect may or may not pan out as is common with most groups. December is a tough sell for everyone and cruise lines have to practically give away cabins at this time of year.

If I recall, you and Middle-Aged Mom were on a cruise last year with several groups, one of which had 800-900 passengers. If I recall, they were not noticable other than they had the entire Open Seating Dining Room and bumped passengers from that venue, which you were not aware of, at the time.

Correct, except that as I recall they numbered between 400-500. Several of them were on our roll call, and joined us for our sailaway party :) They were a very nice group, and quite a few of them are regular CC'ers on this board.....

(ps Just fyi, they were with the Sylvia Browne Psychic Cruise).

This group will likely attract liberal intellectuals (given the mission of the publication involved). You will not have misbehavior, in my opinion. But you may become engaged in some serious conversations, perhaps on topics you may or may not care to discuss while on holiday! I don't think you will notice they are there, unless you are attuned to spotting some of the "names" booked, which are rather impressive (again, assuming you are a liberal intellectual:) ).

This group will likely attract liberal intellectuals (given the mission of the publication involved). You will not have misbehavior, in my opinion. But you may become engaged in some serious conversations, perhaps on topics you may or may not care to discuss while on holiday! I don't think you will notice they are there, unless you are attuned to spotting some of the "names" booked, which are rather impressive (again, assuming you are a liberal intellectual:) ).

I certainly was impressed with the speaker list. And by the low single supplements (although they still are far above the fares not affiliated with the group).

Looking at the cabin availability, it appears that a large number of cabins have been blocked out by/for the group. On the HAL site, there are suites available, but NOTHING between VA and N - no other verandahs, OVs, or large insides. The itinerary is actually one that I had been thinking about around that date - hmmmm - I'm going to seriously consider going with the group.

Given the nature of the group and the proximity of the cruise to the November 4 elections, I suspect the integration of the group's political philosophies will be into most public activities, such as the evening entertainment.

Anticipating another six months of 24/7 political claptrap of all kinds, I don't think I really would want a 7 day cruise with constant reminders of an election season that has FINALLY concluded. with a group that is so politically oriented and that will either be gloating or whining, depending on the outcome of the previous month's elections.

While I agree that the discussions shouldn't invade regular cruise activities such as pool activities and shore excursions, the prospect of hearing a constant drumbeat of political chatter at the next table in the dining room, or while relaxing in a deck chair by the pool would make me start looking for an alternative.

Jesse Jackson, yet!

If you look on their website the schedule is already posted...they are using Ruben's Lounge mostly, a few parties poolside and one evening in the Crow's Nest. You can safely assume these areas will be closed off for them during these events. When I was on the Noordam there was a culinary group and the Culinary Events Center was CLOSED to everyone else onboard the entire week:mad:

I certainly was impressed with the speaker list.

I sure wasn't impressed. I can't quite imagine sitting in the spa with jesse jackson and some of the other freeloaders (er...speakers) on this cruise.

I would definitely change dates but that is due to my preference of people to be around.

If you look on their website the schedule is already posted...they are using Ruben's Lounge mostly, a few parties poolside and one evening in the Crow's Nest. You can safely assume these areas will be closed off for them during these events. When I was on the Noordam there was a culinary group and the Culinary Events Center was CLOSED to everyone else onboard the entire week:mad:

Actually, it's three evenings pre-dinner in the Crow's Nest, per the itinerary on the group's site.

Actually I have been on several, once on the Oosterdam where there was about 600 Mac Geek cruise. Yes they were holding different session in the Half Moon room and other venues but it never impacted our cruise at all.

Lisa: I was part of the Mac group on that sailing, and there were less than 100 conference members, with maybe a total of 125-150 including families, companions, etc. (I asked the group leader [who's now my TA].) (Maybe that's why you weren't impacted! :D ;) )

Paul :)

next "geek" cruises: Nov. '08 (Costa/eastern Med.) and July '09 (Costa/Far East)

FYI - the list of scheduled events was from The Nation's 2004 cruise on Veendam (ie., Rubens Lounge, not Vista Lounge). For this 2008 cruise, with the addition of a musical guest (Jackson Browne) I'm concerned the event schedule will be more extensive.

We were on a cruise a few years back when there was a group from the "Nation" on board with us. They did not cause any problems for us, however not sure it was that large a group, more like 300. We were on with a poker group two years ago and would have canceled, if I had known that they would take over so many public areas. For example the Crows nest was off limits 24-7 for the entire cruise.

Archived