Heathrow's Terminal 5 Route transfers - update

Any comments are welcome.

I agree, I always choose the airline first, with the point of entry/departure a secondary consideration.

However, for an independent traveller, it is a vital piece of the puzzle, because it determines where you stay in London, where locality is the key.

Some airlines, such as BA, use both airports on the same route, so you can choose the one which meets your particular needs.

Just to say apologies for answering your previous question. I hadn't noticed that you had addressed it just to Globaliser - I didn't mean to jump in :)
Am I right in thinking that you work for BA or BAA at LHR? If so, you probably know more - and have more valuable advice to give - about this subject than me! All contributions help everyone.

• We will be flying from Florida, USA to London (possibly BA or Virgin).
  • Then we'll be flying from London to Geneva, Switzerland with BA (now that you've helped me make the final destination decision).

Hence, we have a choice of Gatwick or Heathrow, which is rare, I know.

We have travelled via both, but not since the latest baggage debacle.

From Florida, I think that the basic choices are Orlando to Gatwick and Miami to Heathrow, on both airlines. (IIRC, Tampa to Gatwick on BA is being discontinued - but you may want to check.)

Personally, I would advise steering well clear of the economy cabin on Orlando flights if it makes any sense to fly from Miami. The Orlando flights are hell on earth in the main cabin - or, I suppose, above the earth. Obviously, if you're starting in Orlando, then it may not be worth trekking to Miami just to avoid the flights. But this would be a major consideration for me, if I were not able to go in a premium cabin (ie, for me, premium economy).

Personally, if given the choice between Heathrow to Geneva or Gatwick to Geneva, I'd probably shop by price. I did a Gatwick->Geneva->Heathrow day trip in April, primarily because there was a really cheap leisure fare in Club Europe from Gatwick that worked well for us (we were doing a status run). And that outweighed the hassle of getting to Gatwick at an ungodly hour on a Saturday morning.

However, there are far more flights from Heathrow, and you may find that the schedules work better for you from there.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the baggage thing. T5's baggage performance is apparently better than that at any other Heathrow terminal. The only major problem is T4-T5 baggage transfer at the moment, which is not going to affect you on your itinerary.

If Gatwick, do you know whether you can still check your luggage in at Victoria Station when you're travelling via BA?
No. Unfortunately, that was discontinued many years ago.

Globaliser- Thank you, I'm not sure if I am supposed to say but I work for BA. I'm not in the terminals anymore, but my position is quite 'hands on' with LHR and LGW

MMDown Under - I'm fairly certain you are staying in London, and not transferring through, and therefore I wouldn't be concerned about your baggage. It is now quite rare for direct checked in baggage to not be loaded.

With regard to your BA flight to Geneva, I would pick whichever airport has the best transport links from the area of London you wish to stay in.

Also, the Gatwick flight may come out a bit cheaper if that's a factor to consider.

Gatwick would be from the North terminal which I really like, and would probably be a 737. Heathrow would be an Airbus from Terminal 5, which is obviously nice and new if you had an interest in seeing it.

Gatwick punctuality is a litter better, but it does vary from day to day.

Also, the Gatwick flight may come out a bit cheaper if that's a factor to consider.
I should return to the question of the business class fares, which I rather skated over: Particularly on Gatwick routes, there are leisure market business class fares sold by BA that can be very tempting. Geneva is a long enough flight for you to really enjoy the experience. Depending on the way that sales are going, it can sometimes be had for little more than the lowest available economy fare. And if cheap business class fares are only available in one direction, you can book business one way and economy the other.

Additionally, on Gatwick flights, there is sometimes a cheap "upgrade" option offered either at the time of booking, or between then and departure, or even on check-in. I wouldn't myself choose Gatwick just in case this option might be offered, but if you do choose Gatwick for other reasons then be aware of this possibility.

• 4 weeks later...
All short-haul routes are already at T5, except the following which remain at T1 until 17 September 2008:-
  • Barcelona
  • Helsinki
  • Lisbon
  • Madrid
  • Nice

British Airways has announced today that the date for the move of these five routes has now been revised.

These routes will now move to Terminal 3 on 27 January 2009. Until then, they will remain at Terminal 1.

Finnair and Iberia were due to move from Terminals 1 and 2 respectively to Terminal 3 on the same date. Their move has also been revised to 27 January 2009.

If you're flying on one of these routes, remember to check which airline is actually operating your flight. It may be different from the airline whose flight number appears on your ticket or itinerary. You need the correct terminal for the operating airline.

This page on the BA website - http://www.ba.com/london-terminals - has a full up-to-date list of flights and terminal information.

• 3 weeks later...

A reminder about the BA terminal changes to take place next Wednesday, 17 September 2008.

This is the second chunk of the remaining long-haul flights which were to have moved on 30 April 2008, but which were deferred after the chaos at the end of March.

The routes concerned are:-

• Abu Dhabi
  • Accra
  • Bahrain
  • Baltimore
  • Buenos Aires
  • Chicago
  • Dallas
  • Dar Es Salaam
  • Doha
  • Entebbe
  • Grand Cayman
  • Houston
  • Kuwait
  • Luanda
  • Lusaka
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Mumbai (Bombay)
  • Muscat
  • Nairobi
  • Nassau
  • Newark
  • Philadelphia
  • Providenciales (Turks and Caicos)
  • Rio De Janeiro
  • Sao Paulo
  • Tel Aviv
  • Toronto
  • Washington

These join the following long-haul routes that are already at T5:-

• Abuja
  • Bangalore
  • Beijing
  • Cairo
  • Cape Town
  • Hong Kong
  • Johannesburg
  • Lagos
  • Los Angeles
  • Miami
  • New York JFK
  • Phoenix
  • San Francisco
  • Tokyo
  • Vancouver

All other long-haul routes remain at T4 for the time being.

This page on the BA website - http://www.ba.com/london-terminals - has a full up-to-date list of flights and terminal information.

Just now reading this thread - and thinking we're in for confusion...

We're flying Toronto to Heathrow overnight on BA and landing on September 16th at 12 noon at Terminal 4 (the day before the switch???)

Then we're connecting to a BA flight to Copenhagen leaving Terminal 5 that leaves at 14:15.

Are we going to have problems?

Any suggestions getting from T4 to T5?

thanks

We're flying Toronto to Heathrow overnight on BA and landing on September 16th at 12 noon at Terminal 4 (the day before the switch???)
No confusion: If you depart from Toronto on 15 September and land at Heathrow on 16 September, then you will indeed arrive at Terminal 4.

(In fact, there is no 1200 arrival on 17 September - that flight doesn't operate on that day - so I think this must be correct.)

Are we going to have problems?

Any suggestions getting from T4 to T5?

135 minutes will be more than enough for this connection, barring any major delay to your inbound flight.

When you arrive at T4, follow the signs for Flight Connections Terminal 5. These signs will almost certainly be purple, so they are easily identifiable. Initially, they may be grouped together with other terminal numbers, but make sure that you're heading to T5. You will be taken to the bus stop, from where the bus will take you directly across the airfield to T5. There you will go one level up the escalator. Keep following the signs for international connections. If for some reason you don't already have an onward boarding pass (although you should have one), pick one up at the transfer desk. Then you will need to have your boarding pass checked before you go upstairs to clear security. Then you will be free to roam the shops and restaurants until it's time to go to your gate. More details here (PDF).

Your bags will be through-checked, so you don't need to do anything about them. You don't clear immigration at this point - you only do immigration and customs when you arrive at Copenhagen.

I wouldn't stress about this connection, anyway, as there are two more flights to Copenhagen that afternoon/evening, and it sounds like you're not sailing on the same day that you're flying.

• 1 month later...

A reminder about the BA terminal changes to take place next Wednesday, 22 October 2008.

This is the third and last chunk of the remaining long-haul flights which were to have moved from Terminal 4 to Terminal 5 on 30 April 2008, but which were deferred after the chaos at the end of March.

The routes concerned are:-

• Boston
  • Calgary
  • Chennai (Madras)
  • Delhi
  • Denver
  • Dhaka
  • Dubai
  • Islamabad (route currently suspended)
  • Khartoum
  • Kolkata (Calcutta)
  • Montreal - Trudeau (Dorval)
  • Seattle
  • Shanghai

These join the following long-haul routes that are already at T5:-

• Abu Dhabi
  • Abuja
  • Accra
  • Bahrain
  • Baltimore
  • Bangalore
  • Beijing
  • Buenos Aires
  • Cairo
  • Cape Town
  • Chicago
  • Dallas
  • Dar Es Salaam
  • Doha
  • Entebbe
  • Grand Cayman
  • Hong Kong
  • Houston
  • Johannesburg
  • Kuwait
  • Lagos
  • Los Angeles
  • Luanda
  • Lusaka
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Miami
  • Mumbai (Bombay)
  • Muscat
  • Nairobi
  • Nassau
  • New York JFK
  • Newark
  • Philadelphia
  • Phoenix
  • Providenciales (Turks and Caicos)
  • Rio De Janeiro
  • San Francisco
  • Sao Paulo
  • Tel Aviv
  • Tokyo
  • Toronto
  • Vancouver
  • Washington

This means that from 22 October 2008 all British Airways services will operate from Terminal 5, with the exception of the following:-

• Short-haul (currently at T1, to move to Terminal 3 on 27 January 2009):-
    • Barcelona
    • Helsinki
    • Lisbon
    • Madrid
    • Nice

[*]Long-haul (currently at T4, to move to Terminal 3 in 2009, date not yet confirmed):-

• Bangkok
    • Singapore
    • Sydney

• 1 month later...
This means that from 22 October 2008 all British Airways services will operate from Terminal 5, with the exception of the following:-
  • Short-haul (currently at T1, to move to Terminal 3 on 27 January 2009):-
    • Barcelona
    • Helsinki
    • Lisbon
    • Madrid
    • Nice

[*]Long-haul (currently at T4, to move to Terminal 3 in 2009, date not yet confirmed):-

• Bangkok
    • Singapore
    • Sydney

The move of short-haul flights has been deferred again. The move from T1 to T3 will now take place on 25 February 2009.

However, it looks like Finnair and Iberia may still be moving to T3 on 27 January 2009 as previously announced.

No date has yet been announced for the long-haul move from T4 to T3.

• 2 months later...

A reminder that on 25 February 2009, the following British Airways services will move from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3:-

• Barcelona
  • Helsinki
  • Lisbon
  • Madrid
  • Nice

On the same date, Iberia will also move all its services from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3.

This means that from 25 February 2009 all British Airways services will operate from Terminal 5, with the exception of the following:-

• Short-haul at Terminal 3:-
    • Barcelona
    • Helsinki
    • Lisbon
    • Madrid
    • Nice

[*]Long-haul (currently at Terminal 4, to move to Terminal 3 in 2009, date not yet confirmed):-

• Bangkok
    • Singapore
    • Sydney

And from 29 March 2009, the "short-haul at Terminal 3" list will become:-

• Barcelona
  • Helsinki
  • Lisbon
  • Madrid
  • Malaga
  • Vienna

• 4 months later...
This means that from 25 February 2009 all British Airways services will operate from Terminal 5, with the exception of the following:-
  • Long-haul (currently at Terminal 4, to move to Terminal 3 in 2009, date not yet confirmed):-
    • Bangkok
    • Singapore
    • Sydney

These flights will be moving to Terminal 3 on 29 October 2009 - see this page.

That completes the BA Heathrow terminal moves associated with the opening of Terminal 5, and means that all BA and oneworld flights at Heathrow will be operating from either Terminal 5 or Terminal 3 from that date.

• 3 months later...
  • Long-haul (currently at Terminal 4, to move to Terminal 3 in 2009, date not yet confirmed):-
    • Bangkok
    • Singapore
    • Sydney

These flights will be moving to Terminal 3 on 29 October 2009 - see this page.

That completes the BA Heathrow terminal moves associated with the opening of Terminal 5, and means that all BA and oneworld flights at Heathrow will be operating from either Terminal 5 or Terminal 3 from that date.

The last post on this topic: These flights duly moved last week and are now operating from Terminal 3.

In many ways it's a pity, as Terminal 4's refurbishment is just being completed and it looks pretty stunning - at least, the landside areas do.

Skyteam Alliance members will be progressively moving to Terminal 4 at London Heathrow airport this month.

DELTA (including nwa) and KLM already operating out of Terminal 4.

Migration date to Terminal 4 for other members as follows:

10NOV09 Alitalia, Korean Air

17NOV09 AEROFLOT

24NOV09 AIRFRANCE, CSA Czech airlines

Dedicated check-in area for premium service (Skyteam First and Business Class, Elite Plus/Elite) is featured with 14 check-in desks and 10 self-check kiosks.

http://airlineroute.net/2009/11/03/skyteam-lhrt4/#more-14058

24NOV09 AIRFRANCE, CSA Czech airlines
And this will pretty much be the end for Heathrow's Terminal 2, the oldest terminal building at the airport, which closes for good on 26 November 2009 in order to be demolished.

I can't say that I am terribly nostalgic for T2, having only used it a handful of times myself. I am much more familiar with T1, including its different shapes and layouts as it's grown over the years, and it will be a little harder when that is demolished in a few years' time - although I suspect that I will not be using it much any more.

Archived