Island Princess

mae

We have booked the Panama Canal cruise for Feb. 2009 and are sailing on the Island Princess. We have never sailed on this size ship before, always one of the larger class ships. Can anyone tell me about the Island and what she's like for amenities etc.?

I'll be on her 2 weeks from today (but who's counting?) and can report back to you when I return.

The Island and the Coral are narrower than the Grand class and larger ships -- those are too wide to fit through the locks of the Canal. I like the fact that the Island carries fewer passengers (1,970) yet -- from what I've read -- has substantially the same dining, lounge, entertainment, etc options as the larger ships.

We have booked the Panama Canal cruise for Feb. 2009 and are sailing on the Island Princess. We have never sailed on this size ship before, always one of the larger class ships. Can anyone tell me about the Island and what she's like for amenities etc.?

When in February? We have a roll call for the February 12th ACA/FLL transit and would welcome your participation.

The Island is always rated in the top 3 favorites in the Princess fleet.

Mike:)

Just off the 19 day Panama Canal cruise on Island Saturday. I love this ship. We never felt that the ship was crowded. Many little quiet areas to sit and read, nice gym and spa. Two nice specialty restaurants, nice pools. I have been on Diamond Princess twice, but I must say a prefer the size and amenities of Island. The larger ships won't fit through the canal, like colocruiser said. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them for you.

Just off the 19 day Panama Canal cruise on Island Saturday. I love this ship. We never felt that the ship was crowded. Many little quiet areas to sit and read, nice gym and spa. Two nice specialty restaurants, nice pools. I have been on Diamond Princess twice, but I must say a prefer the size and amenities of Island. The larger ships won't fit through the canal, like colocruiser said. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them for you.

What specialty restaurants are on The Island?

Thanks

What specialty restaurants are on The Island?

Thanks

Sabatini's and the Bayou Cafe are the specialty restaurants on the Island. I preferred the Bayou to Sabatini's.

The Island is a fabulous ship. I look forward to being on her sister ship the Coral in January. :)

Cindy

The Island Princess just returned from the Panama cruise and is in wetdock where it is getting spruced up ( paint, new carpet, etc) before the May 16 sailing to Vancouver and the summer months in Alaska

It didn't dawn on me that there may be fumes from the paint and carpet glue on the Island from the wetdock. I'm getting on it for that May 16 Coastal cruise. Could someone with experience on a ship in this condition tell me if there are noticeable smells from them? I've been in offices that had new paint and carpets and I got sick - I'd hate for that to happen to me on this cruise!

regarding dry/wet dock fumes, We just got off the Diamond who had a week in wet dock. The only carpet fumes I noticed were in the gym and also fresh varnish was applied the day we left to the stools at one of the poolside bars. That was the strongest smell I noticed. It really wasn't bad at all plus the new carpet looked great.

Yes they do, gator ribs,etouffee, etc.

There is a menu somewhere but I don't recall where I saw it. :)

Hook me up, sounds great!

I located one menu; but it is so tiny it is unreadable.

Thanks

It didn't dawn on me that there may be fumes from the paint and carpet glue on the Island from the wetdock. I'm getting on it for that May 16 Coastal cruise. Could someone with experience on a ship in this condition tell me if there are noticeable smells from them? I've been in offices that had new paint and carpets and I got sick - I'd hate for that to happen to me on this cruise!

I did some checking around for you and before the ship sails Princess does everything possible to make sure there are no fumes Fans, etc. Have a great cruise JoAnn

When in February? We have a roll call for the February 12th ACA/FLL transit and would welcome your participation.

The Island is always rated in the top 3 favorites in the Princess fleet.

We sail from FLL on Feb 2nd to ACA. Will try to leave the ship in good shape for you. I'm looking forward to the smaller, less crowded ship. We loved the Grand and the Voyager class on RCCL but I'm thinking the Island will be a bit more subdued. Am I wrong? The Voyager class ships have been catering to a much younger, partying crowd. (not that I mind a good party) But on the other hand I don't want it too subdued, we still like a good time. Our group ranges from 40 something to 70. something so I think the Island will be a good fit. Thanks for the info everyone.

I did some checking around for you and before the ship sails Princess does everything possible to make sure there are no fumes Fans, etc. Have a great cruise JoAnn

Thanks JoAnn! It's so nice to have people willing to do that little extra! I leave tomorrow to fly to LA pre-cruise to visit with some friends. I guess I should start packing :-)

The Island is a great ship. I spent 15 days on her to Hawaii RT. I'm not a SPA person per se, but I couldn't get enough of "The Sancuary" in the SPA. (now they robbed that title for the on deck thing) There are dry saunas, aromatherapy steam rooms, hot stone beds, that sort of thing. That place was GREAT! What a stress reliever! We bought a package deal where we could go everyday if we wanted.

The Bayou Cafe is also something to experience. We ate gator, and crawdads, and gumbo, and .... it was all very good. I loved it.

The food in dining room was excellent to. The pizza near the pool is very tasty as well. (try the Margherita pizza)

Enjoy!

Thanks JoAnn! It's so nice to have people willing to do that little extra! I leave tomorrow to fly to LA pre-cruise to visit with some friends. I guess I should start packing :-)

I wish I could be like you and wait until the last minute to pack. That's the one thing I hate about going away. But now with the luggage changes I really going to have a hard time!!! By the way, will you do me a favor and stop in the Wheelhouse Bar and listen to a great band!! "Phoenix Rising" is their name and you might see them playing elsewhere on the ship. Please tell them Gne and JoAnn said Hi!! Thanks and again enjoy your cruise JoAnn

I wish I could be like you and wait until the last minute to pack. That's the one thing I hate about going away. But now with the luggage changes I really going to have a hard time!!! By the way, will you do me a favor and stop in the Wheelhouse Bar and listen to a great band!! "Phoenix Rising" is their name and you might see them playing elsewhere on the ship. Please tell them Gne and JoAnn said Hi!! Thanks and again enjoy your cruise JoAnn

Yeah, I wait until the last minute, but I usually have a total meltdown while doing it! I'm used to packing 1 bag for multi-week European winter vacations, so I think I'll be OK for a 6 day spring trip, with 4 days on a ship.

I'll try to remember to look for the Band and say "hi" for you.

Archived