Tan - no burns......

jawas

Ok, this isn't a "Carnival" only topic, but I didn't see anything anywhere else, and I think it's a good question......

I've been on two Caribbean cruises and both times have gotten moderately to badly sunburned - yes I used sunscreen, but obviously not enough :(

What SPF do you other fair-skinned, office-dwelling workaholics use when you venture out into that hot sun? :confused: (Bear in mind - I would like to get a bit of a tan :p )

I'm about as fair as you can get. I will do the tanning bed (do NOT tell my dermatologist) about a month before I go - starting very slowly. Also - my youngest son is tow headed with blue eyes and has never been sunburned - been all over the caribbean! I use a scalp spray on him and reapply 30 every hour on the hour. I also use a lotion and it has to dry before he gets in the water (we start before we even get outside).

Best of luck!

Ok, this isn't a "Carnival" only topic, but I didn't see anything anywhere else, and I think it's a good question......

I've been on two Caribbean cruises and both times have gotten moderately to badly sunburned - yes I used sunscreen, but obviously not enough :(

What SPF do you other fair-skinned, office-dwelling workaholics use when you venture out into that hot sun? :confused: (Bear in mind - I would like to get a bit of a tan :p )

I am very pale...I use the tanning booth..I have to because in Florida even I burn if only out a little while...I do the booth for one month before I go..every other day for about 12 min....I get a base tan and then use 30 spf (because anything higher is no different than 30) and reapply every 1/2 hour (more if I go in water)..I do not burn (maybe just a very little if I mess up my routine this way..the only way!

Minimum 45 SPF (sometimes 60 but there's really not much difference) and water resistant. I put it on well before I ever leave the cabin in the mornings and then reapply every hour if we are at the beach or doing any water activities. I don't tend to hang out up on deck on sea days at all because I burn so badly. I'm still usually a little red afterward even with all the sunblock, but it usually doesn't hurt or peel.

There's no such thing as even a little tan for me. :o :(

I also begin pre-tanning before a cruise. I work a lot out doors, so I started tanning a few weeks ago to prevent burning. While in the caribbean, I use about a 30 SPF on my face if I'm spending a lot of time in the water

One of the best pieces of advice on this subject-is don't underestimate the strength of the Caribbean sun especially on the FIRST DAY. I live in Dallas and suntan at my pool all year-but the Caribbean is totally different because the sun is more intense. If you sit out on travel day or the first day you better start using an effective suntan lotion immediately or you will burn.

You all are great - thanks for the good advice! I was afraid many would say they went to the tanning bed to get base tans - haven't had the time to go.....but I have been out in the sun in SC on a weekend trip and also laid out at home. Looks like tan in a can and SPF 30 for me :D

Thanks again!

P.S. - I cruise in 6 days on the Destiny - yippee!

For you something in the 30SPF, we use blue lizard, its what the Australians use.

Blue Lizard:

Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen was developed to combat one of

the most intense UV environments in the world. Tested according

to Australian Standards, Blue Lizard maintains its extreme water resistance after 240 minutes in whirlpool water. Meanwhile, the FDA requires testing for 80 minutes in still water.

All Blue Lizard formulas offer more than 30 times your skin's natural protection against UVB rays. We list our SPF at 30+ to preserve the integrity of our Australian roots. If you are applying correctly, SPF 30 is really all you need, and 30 is all that Australian Standards will allow sunscreens to claim!

http://www.crownlaboratories.com/bluelizard/products.html

Fred

• Administrators
Minimum 45 SPF (sometimes 60 but there's really not much difference) and water resistant. I put it on well before I ever leave the cabin in the mornings and then reapply every hour if we are at the beach or doing any water activities. I don't tend to hang out up on deck on sea days at all because I burn so badly. I'm still usually a little red afterward even with all the sunblock, but it usually doesn't hurt or peel.

There's no such thing as even a little tan for me. :o :(

I'm in this category, too. Fair, light eyes, freckles, burn, burn, burn. I also suffered 2 severe sunburns as a child (to blistering stage), which increases my risk that my sun history can kill me through melanoma, so I make sure to stay well-acquainted with my dermatologist, visit him once per year for a full-body exam, and I keep up to date with what the medical community thinks in this regard. According to them, there is no such thing as a "base tan" -- there is only "sun damage" to varying degrees, and I honestly believe, after so much research, that even if it isn't a "burn" ANY tan is only sun damage to a lesser degree than a burn.

The bottom line is, only you know your own body and your risk tolerance. I fought this battle through my 20's and part of my 30's, wanting SO much to be tan instead of pasty pale -- but (hopefully) I came to my senses in time to realize that sun exposure and I just don't mix. Now I use sunscreen, sun hats with a SPF factor 50, I cover up for snorkeling and beaches, etc. It's okay.... I'm just glad so far that the things I've had to have removed have been in the "pre" stages, and I hope I can keep it that way.

Also, please do be aware that from the Equator to the Antarctic the sun CAN burn you (reflected rays, and the UV effects on an overcast day, can be just as bad as direct exposure to a hot sunny day). I wear base sunscreen every day, and I use high SPF product anytime I'll have exposure more than 15 minutes or so. I won't get more preachy than I already did, but please do educate yourself and realize that what the sun produces is radiation, and it should be taken seriously.

I have many pre cancer spots on my arms and face. I see the dermatologist twice a year. Do I let this stop my crusing? No! On my cruises I may look funny but I am safe. I have to wear a hat, long sleeve top that covers the tops of my hands, long pants and sunscreen. All that does not stop me from enjoying my cruises.

Why would anyone want to tempt cancer by intentionally exposing themselves to the sun's rays for long periods of time?

The above poster is right, a tan is sun damage. I have a co-worker that always tanned in booths, she is just turning 30 and already has some fine lines in her face. When she couldn't afford the tanning bed anymore and her tan started to fade, she looked 10 years younger (although the lines are still there).

I see women every day that over tan, and they really look ridiculous some like a leather handbag! :eek:

MAC

I generally use "Water Babies", as I burn, burn, burn. In fact, I have 2 colors, red or pale white. My dh and kids tan like nobody's business, and yes, I pour the sunscreen on them too.

However, I'm allergic to pain, so I tend to cake on the sunscreen and reapply, reapply, reapply.

Fred, I have not heard about blue lizard, I'm going to CVS today, I'll pick some up for dh to try.

Oh, they were sold out of the camera, but are looking for one we can pick up at the Miami store when we get there. Thanks for the advice!:D

I have many pre cancer spots on my arms and face. I see the dermatologist twice a year. Do I let this stop my crusing? No! On my cruises I may look funny but I am safe. I have to wear a hat, long sleeve top that covers the tops of my hands, long pants and sunscreen. All that does not stop me from enjoying my cruises.

There's nothing wrong with that. My mom is from the tropics of Okinawa, and always does her gardening in long sleeves, pants and a hat!

She's now 66 and has NO wrinkles at all. I stay out of the sun as well, although I don't burn. I've seen far too many people get skin cancer, and plus, I want to look as good as my mom does when I'm 66! :)

I am from the old age of baby oil instead of sunscreen when we were younger. I grew up at the beach in So Cal and now live at the beach in Florida. I am outside all of the time with my dogs and such.. and I use a great product that I picked up in Hawaii years and years ago (well, I have new bottles!) called Maui Babe. It helps you brown instead of burn and you put it on over your sunscreen. It is kinda greasy.. but it works great. I just use it if I am reading down at the beach. My husband burns and does ok with a 30 SPF.

I got burned on my first Caribbean cruise really bad... blisters. Bring Aloe. and have a great time! :)

My DH and DD are fair skinned and burn easily - they use the Coppertone Sport in the royal dark blue containers (it comes in sprays and lotions and it is called ultra sweatproof). If I try and sunscreen my DD she will get a sunburn everytime so I leave it to DH to do. The KEY is to put sunscreen on 30 minutes before going outside!! My DH swears by the 30 minute rule and it always works for him.

You should check the fashion board. There is a thread about sunless tans.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=727427

I am also very fair. I use 45 at minimum, I even have a 70 if I will be out for a long time. I take advantage of shade on the beach when I find it, and I also have a rash guard shirt for when I am snorkeling. It has a 50 protection value. Don't forget to reapply as well.

I used to go to the tanning salon a month before cruises and other vacations. Then, when I was 43, I got my first skin cancer. It was on my face, and was a basal cell carcinoma. Got to have it removed by a plastic surgeon, and while he did a wonderful job, I still have a small scar. I'm glad for that scar...it reminds me that there is no such thing as "safe tanning". I have brown hair and blue eyes, and freckly skin....prime candidate for skin cancer. However, don't think it can't happen to you. Forget about your vanity and slather on that sunscreen! :(

I used to go to the tanning salon a month before cruises and other vacations. Then, when I was 43, I got my first skin cancer. It was on my face, and was a basal cell carcinoma. Got to have it removed by a plastic surgeon, and while he did a wonderful job, I still have a small scar. I'm glad for that scar...it reminds me that there is no such thing as "safe tanning". I have brown hair and blue eyes, and freckly skin....prime candidate for skin cancer. However, don't think it can't happen to you. Forget about your vanity and slather on that sunscreen! :(

good advise!

Great advice! Base tan, sun, tanning booth - it can all cause cancer. My hubby is having his second round of pre-cancerous moles removed this afternoon - at 36 years old. The moles are on his back which is rarely exposed to the sun, but he works outside and gets lots of sun exposure elsewhere and even though he doesn't burn - he is blue eyed which puts him at high risk.:( I'll keep using my sunblock and some of the daily tanning lotion when I want some color and other than that everyone will have to just get over my pasty white color!:D

:cool: :cool: I haven't read the whole thread so this may already be in there - as much as there are people of certain skin tones, hair colour and eye colour more at risk, don't let that fool you. My husand is medium to darker skin tone, brown eyes, dark hair - always covered up when in the sun. He has had skin cancer for 15 years, he has now been cancer free for four years. Our whole family is checked annually for spots and I am an expert at spotting it. I buy my cream at a fencing company, they supply industrial brand PF33 - this is what all the city and provincial outside workers buy. I was first put on to it by forest fire fighters. It has no smell, is non greasy and cheap. I pay 4.95 a tube for it where as a cool name brand can cost 2 to 3 times as much and does the same job. Happy and safe cruising everyone.:cool: :cool:

Archived