Did the Grandeur make it back from Bermuda?

It was odd. We saw her passing under the Chesapeake Bay bridge at around 7pm on Thursday evening, then we saw her leaving Baltimore last night (Friday). I guess they wouldn't let her leave late on Thursday night.

Mark

It was odd. We saw her passing under the Chesapeake Bay bridge at around 7pm on Thursday evening, then we saw her leaving Baltimore last night (Friday). I guess they wouldn't let her leave late on Thursday night.

Mark

She got in so late they weren't going to make those passengers disembark in the middle of the night.

Was looking at her from our office building window yesterday afternoon. Never realized I could see that far away as work isn't on the water, but I could see the top decks between office buildings. lol

They told my friends who thought they were sailing on the 15th that the ship would not get in until 11 Thursday night and the passengers would disembark on Friday morning. So my friends lost one whole day of their 9 day cruise. They cut out the St. Thomas stop. They did get some money back depending on your cabin location.

I'd still love to hear from anyone who was on that sailing to Bermuda.

It has been confirmed that it was weather and NOT engine problems this time, am I correct? Just making sure. We're sailing on her in less than a month.

Though there's already a day between when she's supposed to be unloading in Baltimore (12th) and when she's supposed to be loading in Norfolk (13th), so hopefully we'll be ok. Once we're on, I'm fine. Getting 'stuck' ON the ship wouldn't be a problem for me. :D

As far as I know the delay was all weather related but I know they had a problem a couple of weeks ago that was supposed to be fixed.

Maybe we'll find out more if anyone who was actually on the ship posts here.

yes it is confirmed it was the "weather"...as DixieVa (my mother) said, we have friends that boarded and left yesterday one day late....I spoke to them after they boarded yesterday afternoon and in speaking with the bartenders ( they are known to them and have been on this ship several times ) they were told it was the WORST they have ever seen it...only specifics they gave was the winds were gusting to 90+mph :eek: and at one point ALL PASSENGERS WERE CONFINED TO THEIR CABINS!!!! I'm sure this was for passenger safety reasons

NOW, not sure about you guys...but I have come straight thru a hurricane on a Carnival ship and we were NOT in 90+mph gusts and I know that there is NO WAY I would have wanted to be stuck on that ship another day...least not in that particular situation:D

IF...it had been a "technical" or "mechanical" issue I would have no problem at all staying an additional day :)

can you imagine?? wonder how big the waves were

Makes us rethink if we really want those inside cabins that are so inexpensive. Can you imagine being confined in one for any length of time? I'm so thankful our April cruise only had mechanical problems!!!

Makes us rethink if we really want those inside cabins that are so inexpensive. Can you imagine being confined in one for any length of time? I'm so thankful our April cruise only had mechanical problems!!!

Yeah but in rough seas a lower deck, inside cabin is the best place to be. Bet those people in the expensive suites on the top deck were really wishing for a lower level cabin.

Yes, The Grandeur of the Seas was about 15 hours late getting in due to some bad weather. 50 knot winds and 30 foot swells. We didn't have to stay in our rooms however and enjoyed watching the power of the ocean from the bump out in the Solarium, we could watch the waves and brace when we saw a large swell with a large dip behind it. Exhilarating! Only could do 8 knots during the storm which caused the delay. Odd thing was the sun shone the whole time. Felt bad for the ones who had to change flights and the ones who would lose a day on the following cruise though. We were happy to be on the ship an extra 15 hours, who wouldn't?:)

Thanx for posting some first hand skinny. We've really been worried about the passengers on your cruise. Hope the rest feel as you do that it wasn't so bad. As for the extra 15 hours, there are 15 hours :D and then there are 15 hours :eek: !!! Enough said. :rolleyes:

Anyone else have some details to add or a saga to share?

Yeah but in rough seas a lower deck, inside cabin is the best place to be. Bet those people in the expensive suites on the top deck were really wishing for a lower level cabin.

I know people say this but I'm always on deck 10 on the Explorer just aft of the hump and although I've never stayed in an interior or in a cabin on lower level I know we feel much more motion on the lower levels in public areas then we do on deck 10 in our location and I've sailed thru some really bad storms including a hurricane. We were hit with a monster storm on 12/3 where waves broke glass up at Johnny rockets and we have pics of waves crashing over deck 12 and it felt much smoother on 10 then it did during our M & M on deck 3 where we could really feel that extream pitching and rolling. We still had a great M & M though:D

Don't think the wind was 90mph. The information on the tv's in the room said 50 knots which is about 55mph and 25 to 30 foot waves. The Windjammer was in chaos when the first bad lurch came, everything on the salad bars ended up on the floor and they closed it down for a day. Half the water in the Solarium pools flooded the floor and they drained the rest. Most retreated to the lower decks but the Great Gatsby Dining Room was surprisingly occupied at the second seating. We were very thankful for Meclazine, and to the good Lord for watching over us.

My husband and were on the boat and the weather was horrible. The Capt. did keep us informed on all the happenings. We were never confined to our

cabins. We were not allowed on the outside decks for awhile and the show was cancelled and a movie was shown instead. We arrived back to Balto. at 9:30pm (14 hours late) and we were on our way home by 10:40pm. We live close to the port so we decided to get off and drive home. We had our first ever inside cabin on the 8th deck middle of the ship and I will say that I defintely go with a balcony like previous cruise.

Still like RCCI cruises but I will fly to Bermuda next time!

Sounds like it was a really rough trip home! We've sailed to Bermuda twice and once it was horrible weather (very similar to yours) and the other time we were on a smaller ship (Empress) and it was great!

We were in Va. Beach and saw her passing the coastline, very slowly, I might add---the freighters were chugging along at a much greater speed. I thought it was odd for a cruise ship to be headed into port mid-day!

FloridaFan...don't wait till you set sail to take your meds. Start them 36-48 hours before you leave and have the stuff working in your system. If you don't need them, no biggie. If you do, you'll be happy to have had a head start. I tried this for the first time on my

May 1 Grandeur trip and had no problems. ;)

FloridaFan...don't wait till you set sail to take your meds. Start them 36-48 hours before you leave and have the stuff working in your system. If you don't need them, no biggie. If you do, you'll be happy to have had a head start. I tried this for the first time on my

May 1 Grandeur trip and had no problems. ;)

Hey, thanks for the tip! My cruising buddy (who lives near Bowie) gets seasick and that's good advice to know. I'm blessed with a fairly high tolerance for sea motion, but I make up for it by staggering around all cruise like a drunken sailor--11 days on the Maasdam and I *never* gained sea legs.

Meh...of the two, I'll take the staggering :)

...... Getting 'stuck' ON the ship wouldn't be a problem for me. :D

It wasn't a problem for us in 2005 when we spent two extra days at sea because Hurricane Rita closed the Port of Galveston.

Of course I wasn't quit sure if I had a house and car to go back to but with the luck of the angels everything was as I had left it.

It has been confirmed that it was weather and NOT engine problems this time, am I correct? Just making sure. We're sailing on her in less than a month.

Though there's already a day between when she's supposed to be unloading in Baltimore (12th) and when she's supposed to be loading in Norfolk (13th), so hopefully we'll be ok. Once we're on, I'm fine. Getting 'stuck' ON the ship wouldn't be a problem for me. :D

After reading the thread, I feel a bit better that it was due to weather. We too, are sailing out of Norfolk on June 13th - I just cant wait! I sure wouldnt mind being on the ship 15 hours extra!:p

Thanks for the advice about starting seasickness pills early, DELTABLUE. I'll go out and start them tonight.

I've gone on 11 cruises and only had an upset tummy twice. But then, I've only been on large, modern ships for cruises, and all but 1 were in the Caribbean. I remember going fishing in the Chesapeake Bay once, and unfortunately I was so sick, the boat had to return to shore. I was sorry for all the fishermen, but I was in no condition to veto the decision. Being seasick is the WORST.

Archived