Just how bad is the San Juan airport?

It's bad! Prepare yourself for long lines. When I was there they were fairly well organized, just short of staff. We arrived at the airport 2 hours early and just caught our flight.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02

Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03

Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03

Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03

Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04

I was just there on a Sunday before the cruise crowd (around 7:00 am) and there was no problem getting through check points!

Having said that, on our cruise last September, we waited about 30 minutes in line. If we cruise out of San Juan again, we will leave a day later. All in all, the airport is not that bad.

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

We were there in January and didn't really find it that bad. Just remember if you want something to eat, get it before you go through security.

It was just that someone was unthruthful with us. Started out my fault. I had forgot to put my nail scissors in my packed case. They confiscated it. A person who told me she was a supervisor said "don't worry, give me your name and address and I'll personally see that it gets to you." (They were new and cost me $25.00). Needless to say, I'm still waiting and that was in January.

Cunard - various ships over many years

Song of America

Grandeur of the Seas

Dreamward

Infinity

Azur

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100 Til the Brilliance in the Med.!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Nordic Empress

<center>

shipmar2.gif </center>

marship.gif

I guess I need to add that our flight was at 3:15. After reading the latest AOS review, I am guessing that their flight was ealier in the day.

Lynnees - Interesting that you had trouble with your nail clippers. My husband forgot to pack his 3 inch scissors in his packed baggage while enroute to San Juan from the Knoxville, TN airport. The security guard spotted them and checked our carry on. Guess what? He let them go through and said that he trusted my husband not to use them! icon_eek.gif Can you believe that????

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

The airport is not bad at all. The problem is on Sunday morning when the cruise ships are unloading all of their passengers, everyone is trying to catch the first flight home, and going thru security is a huge line. The best plan is to not rush home. Puerto Rico is a beautiful place stay an extra day or two and extend your vacation. Then you can leave when everyone else isn't leaving.

jc

We were there in January, 04 and the lines were very long. However, if you have e-tickets, skip the long lines and go to the self check-in. Most people don't know about them and there was no line. The one complaint I do have is there is a very limited amount of places to get something to eat.

vine.gif

UNTIL I SET SAIL ON THE JEWEL OF THE SEAS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;11;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2hulagirls.gif

After our San Juan experience on 3/21 we have decided that if we cruise out of San Juan we will spend the night and go home the next day. We arrived at the airport at 12:00 for a 3:37 flight we needed every minute of that time. When they dropped us at the airport there was some confusion over the luggage we waited about 30 minutes for it to show up. Then we waited in the Northwest airline line for 1:30 minutes to check in, they had the line separated and called you a few at a time to the counter. From there we waited in Security for 1 hour. By the time we got to our gate they were starting to board. And that was the good part. We boarded the plane and then sat on the runway for 2:30. When we finally took off they informed us that we did not have enough fuel to make it to Detroit which was our layover destination so we stopped in Atlanta where we were told that there were no more flights going to our final destination out of Detroit or Atlanta so we would be spending the night in Detroit and they would not be reimbursing our hotel cost. (While in Atlanta we were not able to leave the plane.)They gave us a $5 phone card and a $5 food voucher but of course everything in the airport was closed by the time we got there. We finally arrived home in PA Monday at 1:00. I don't blame the San Juan airport for our problems it just may be a little better to spend the night and start out fresh Monday without the cruise traffic.

Our flight yesterday from San Juan was at 3:05pm. We arrived at the airport at 10:45 and was told to get in line for the Delta ticket counter, which at that time was about 200 yards long! The e-ticket kiosks were there, but we still had to stand in that line, waiting our turn. Those that tried to cut in line were quickly pointed out by those waiting and sent to the rear. SJU airport does not have curbside check-in, so the only option we had was to stand in those long lines.

3/28 "Adventure of the Seas" Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;3;28;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I too was very worried about SJU. It wasn't tooo bad but there are long lines & no place to sit before TSA, except for a few restaurants. We arrived at 3 pm for a 6pm flight & zipped right through TSA, although they confiscated a corkscrew in our bags.

As flight time approached, the TSA lines got longer, & longer & . . . you know the rest. I wouldn't dream of trying for an early flight out on Sunday. Friends tried flying standby; they were there all day. icon_frown.gif

Fortunately, on the way home you should be relaxed from your cruise. SJU does "help" to gear you back up for the stress of the real world. icon_wink.gif

Trish

We flew out of San Juan in November and waited about 15 minutes in line. The difference may have been that we took a cab to the airport, which allowed us to get ahead of the huge crowds coming off the buses. You may want to avoid the transfers and pay your own way. You can beat the rush and avoid paying for a night's stay just to miss the crowds.

Karen

Read my 2/6/04 Brilliance review

Infinity in... countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Brilliance 6/05

Infinity 12/04

Brilliance 2/04

Adventure 11/03

Brilliance 2/03

Grand Princess 3/02

Dawn Princess 11/01

Ocean Princess 5/00

At the risk of blowing the best secret, of getting thru the lines in San Juan on Sunday morning. On our last cruise out of San Juan we were on the Adventure and fortunately for us, my DW broke her foot in Aruba. We took a cab from the ship to the airport, there was a huge line, we asked an AA person if we could have a wheel chair for my DW. They got us a wheel chair took us straight to the AA check in cutting the line. Then a nice young man took us to the TSA line, we had to wait an entire minute there even though there must have been 1000 people in line. 5 minutes later we are sitting waiting for our 11:30am flight. Too bad the flight attendants decided to come to work a couple of hours late. We missed our connection in Dallas and had a long day, but boy we sure got thru the airport easy! So, if you don't have a conscience, get a pair of crutches and fake an injury. Piece of cake.

jc icon_wink.gif

I just returned from the Serenade a week ago and I thought the San Juan airport was quite a bit better than when I was there 2 years ago. We didn't get the RCCL transfers, took a taxi/van instead. It was only $18 for both of us total, each way. We were in the 3rd group called to disembark and were in the airport all checked in and ready for our 2pm flight at 9:30 am. I did notice that there were long lines at some counters, but we flew Continental and only one person was in line in front of us. Incidentally, there is a really nice Continental Lounge for people who qualify.

The San Juan airport is the worst I have ever been to. We actually were given a $300.00 certificate from Northwest upon returing home for all of the trouble we had with the airport. They left us on the runaway in San Juan for 3 1/2 hours without any explanation or anything. It is the worst airport!

Navigator of the Seas 05/15/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;05;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jeez.... you must not ever fly if you think it is the worst airport. Airplanes get stuck on the runways all of the time all over the world. Not much of a criteria for the worst airport. You do know that the same air traffic control system operates the flights in San Juan as other US airports. I have been to some airports that are so small that they don't have a terminal with a single restaurant. Just a candy machine.

jc

We have a 4pm flight out of San Juan airport. Should we get there early am or wait till 1pm? Don't want to end up waiting in line with all those leaving on earlier flights, yet don't want to miss our flight (flying on United). What would you do? Thanks for any help.

P.S. I forgot to ask, are the cabs waiting around when you get off the ship? Do you use the same system of dispatcher & "chits" that I was told you do when you arrive in San Juan ?

We stayed on the ship as long as possible. It was around 11:30 when we decided to get off. We took a cab (plenty available because they are bring passengers in to the port) and headed to the airport for our 3:00 flight. Waited in line about 30 minutes, went through security, got a bite to eat (now there's a long line) and sat down to eat and read for a while..

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Never had a problem in San Juan airport

Nordic Empress..*****11/04

Radiance of the Seas****3/04

Serenade of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas

Century (Celebrity)

Song of America

Monarch of the Seas

icon_rolleyes.gifOne major problem that I noticed was they have inadequate air conditioning or do not know how to maintain it...most lounge areas by gates were too hot and humid!!!!!!!!!!

shrimp, yes there are plenty of cabs waiting outside the terminal. You walk up to a dispatcher, who counts the number in your party and the number of bags you have, and sends you over to a cab with a chit.

just off the serenade of the seas for a month now, flew directly into san juan, and had no probs from the airport to the cruise terminal. we were in about 1:00, and had only 1 person in front of us to check in. leaving, however was another thing. we were in line for customs over an hour, with less than 50 people in our line. they were cordial, and friendly, but were'nt fast by any means. once through, it was very fast and easy.

serenade 3/04

fantasy 2/02

ecstasy 2/01

disney magic 2/99

How about Saturday? Is this a crazy day also or is it just Sunday? We have a 3:00 flight and I really didnt want to spend the day there unless I have to.

Stacey

<MARQUEE>Till We Sail on Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;17;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<MARQUEE>

Archived