Mexican Riviera vs. Caribbean Waters

WMG/LMG

My wife and I are planning a cruise for November and we have cruises many times on the Caribbean waters. This time we are thinking of heading doing the Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego. Wanted to know if the oceans are equally as nice and stable on the Mexican side compared to the Caribbean side (barring no storms). Thanks!

From our experience, the Mexican Riveria "water" was cooler than the Caribbean "water" for the same basic time period. Also, the MR snorkelling is not as good as in the Caribbean.

Assuming no storms, we didn't notice any "stability" difference between the two oceans.

Because of the predominate southerly currents on the west coast the first few days you are going with the flow and seas don't really cause any problems. On the way back to California is another thing all together. The ship will be headed into the waves and winds. This will make even moderate seas seem a little worse. I always take Bonine and it did not affect me but more than a few people were complaining on our cruise about the waves. We were on a RCL cruise and the rock wall was closed both days because of the seas.

The DW and I were also very surprised with the difference of the two when it came to beaches. We stopped and Cabo, Mazalthan (sp?) and Puerto V. and none of the three came close to Atlantic/Caribbean beaches. Every one was praising the beaches at Stone Island at Mazalthan and what a wonderful time they had but we were very disappointed. The water was darker, the sand coarser and locals much pushier in their attempt to sell you their products. Water visibility could be measured in inches. From what I was told that this is because of the difference of the Pacific Ocean and it's currents versus the Caribbean waters.

The east coast of North America is warmer (gulf stream going south to north) and the coastline is more level and nicer. The beaches are sandy, warm (gulf stream) and nicer (minus our pollution of course). The Atlantic is smaller than the Pacific.

The west coast of North America has more rocks, height and a lot fewer beaches and harbors. The current flows from the Alaskan waters south meaning cold. The water is rougher with bigger waves. The Baja is a desert for all practical purposes and sparsely populated as a result. Do not expect warm water or Caribbean style beaches. It has its own beauty.

Each part of the earth has a different look and feel. Go explore what the earth truely looks like and enjoy the diversity.

This is easy. Water is warmer and beaches are way nicer in the Caribbean than in Mexico. I know this because I have cruised both many, many, many, times. Snorkling is way better in the Caribbean. We have been consistently disappointed with our snorkling trips in Mexico and won't even attemp to try one again. The water is either too cold or rough!

Having said that, I love vacationing in Mexico anyway!!!! :D However, given a choice I would pick the Caribbean lst everytime!!!!!:p

It will be along time before I go to Mexico again out of San Diego. The first two days are cold and the last two are the same. We went in October and was very disappointed. I like Mexico but love the Caribbean more.

We cruised on the Oosterdam out of San Diego this past March down to the Mexican Riviera. It was different and we enjoyed it but there are differences over the Caribbean. It was almost too cool to use our balcony going down or back on sea days. The ports of call were nice and as mentioned above in a previous post, they have a totally different flavor over the Caribbean ports but we enjoyed them and would do this again but maybe a little later in the year when hopefully it would not be so chilly.

It will be along time before I go to Mexico again out of San Diego. The first two days are cold and the last two are the same. We went in October and was very disappointed. I like Mexico but love the Caribbean more.

Just our opinion: there is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing. (I've been told it's an old Russian saying, and I've mentioned it on the Alaska board.)

We just prepare for the possibility of inclement weather and deal with it. It could rain, it could be windy, so we bring our waterproof jackets and a thermal shirt and we're ready. Since we're heading for the Mexican Riviera in October, we'll probably just wear that "rain gear" when we leave from Chicago. That way it won't take up room in our suitcase.

We can't control the weather, but we can handle it, if we're prepared. We tend to book cruises when rates are lowest, usuually meaning the weather isn't the best. One of our best port calls ever was Ketchikan on a cold, windy, rainy day with no shore excursion plannned, We walked around town, found a storefront that promoted a free educational film on sled dogs. When we sat down to watch the film, we each had an 8 week old Alaskan Husky puppy placed in our respective laps. Had the weather been good, we probaly wouldn't have bothered to go inside.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, our vacation philosophy is always to take pleasure in what we see and do and to have no regrets about what we might have missed. For example, when we went to Paris last year, we took the train to Versailles. We were so enchanted walking the grounds that we never got inside the palace. No big deal. Just gives us rationalization to return.

Okay, I'm done with my rant. My real point is that weather doesn't determine our pleasure (or lack thereof).

The first two days are cold

How cold is "cold"? Is it similar to being on deck going to Alaska? Or colder? We are from Canada, travelling to Mexico in November. Are windbreakers a good choice, or something heavier? Thanks in advance!!!

I kind of agree but we found in December that the first day and last day were a bit cool. Depends on local weather. Mexico trip is good and I was not disappointed. It was good but different, I also enjoy the Caribbean better also as it seems a bit more tropical and beautiful water.

The West Coast of the United States and Mexico is never as warm as the East Coast or the Caribbean--currents are going in different directions! All things being the same, I'd pick the Caribbean over any "Mexican Riviera" destination anyday!

I've cruised the Carribean 6-7 times..maybe a little rain here and there. Usually warm. I cruised the Mexican Riveria last Jan and it was COLD!!

I got off the ship in jeans and hoodie in Cabo. My kids were even freezing. However, we still had a great time..just not in shorts and suits!:)

Archived