HELP!! Need Northern Europe wardrobe/weather info! QUICK!

SakeDad

OK...I know there's not much time as I'm packing NOW to leave for Italy to get onboard the HAL Eurodam until November. I have never been to Europe and need to know what to expect weather wise now through the end of August and what kind of clothes I should take. This will be Northern Europe (Helsinki, Copenhagen, Oslo, Tallinn, Stockholm, etc...) Not a matter of dressy vs casual but cold vs hot, dry vs wet! I'm literally packing NOW as I leave Wednesday morning....I just found out today!:eek:

I appreciate ANY help you guys can give me tonight!

Thanks

I don't think you'll have to worry about cold, Nathan. We were just in St. Petersburg for 3 weeks. It snowed on us our second day there, then stayed coolish the rest of the time. I think summertime is arriving, so things should be comfortable.

First, relax. They have stores in Northen Europe. K? :)

Now, you will need a sweatshirt and a wind-breaker. Have a lightweight rain poncho to toss over whatever. You might want one pair of gloves.

You will also find it can be warm, even hot in those areas. So, have something for that weather, too.

This is a place where the concept of "layer" was developed. Have a little something for hot to cold, then put on/take off as needed.

This is a great opportunity for you---enjoy it for all it's worth. :)

We were in similar areas last year at that time. Didn't have much use for my shorts. Fleece and layers are good. Waterproof is good. I used both a hat and gloves occassionally - especially if you want to spend time outside on the moving ship. Butthen again, I'm from Arizona ;)

Hi,

You can expect quite nice weather and temperatures from now until the end of August for the Scandinavian/Baltic region. The day temperatures are going to be between 15 C – 30 C (that’s 59 F to 86 F). Historically the warmest average temperatures are in the beginning of August. Expect a very mixed weather also otherwise. Sunny days, cloudy days, rainy days… however no snow… At the moment we are experiencing a longer sunny period with temperatures averaging 68 F (quite nice for the beginning of June).

The weather forecasts are saying that this summer is going to be a bit warmer than the average summer. However they are also suggesting that there may be a couple of very hot periods this summer and otherwise the temperatures are going to be average if not even a bit cooler than average.

The best that I can suggest for you to pack with you is: a couple of shorts and t-shirts for the warm days, long trousers and long sleeved shirts (made out of a lightweight material) for the cooler days and some sweatshirts and a lightweight jacket for the rainy days/evenings. An umbrella is also a must.

I'm certain that your duties on board will keep you quite busy, but what about a pair of semi-serious hiking boots for exploratory walks? European ports are perfect places for taking off and checking things out on foot, IMO.

Congratulations on your new job!

We were there last year the same time as you, same areas .. We brought our rain slicker-shell/wind breakers and used layers of clothes that worked quite well the whole time. We never experienced really cold weather, but the winds made it seem cooler than it was, especially in Finland and Russia at times. That was where the shells worked great as we carried them in our excursion bag and popped them out when it rained, or when the wind was unduly biting .. other than that, it was same clothes we wear anywhere in US that time of the year.

harry

The rain poncho is a MUST have. Make sure everyone in your group carries the small kind with them. Layering is the way to go. For example: short sleeve knit top, long sleeve blouse, sweatshirt, and poncho for wind and rain. Take a back pack to put layers in when not in use. I put my umbrella in it also.

Take a small umbrella and carry it wherever you go. We started our Copenhagen day with sunshine (which the captain said would carry through the day) and then got hit with a big rainstorm - everyone was soaked through and it ruined our experience of the city.

Archived