Alla Tour Questions - St Petersburg

Hmmm. I am not using Alla, but I know the company I am using told us one photo pass or whatever per couple. There are nine of us on the tour (since I am solo). I assumed I would get to take photos. I guess I will just figure I might have to pay extra or something. It should work out.

My goodness, a cruise costing thousands of dollars, a tour costing hundreds of dollars, and you are fussing about FOUR BUCKS??

The camera fee you pay helps maintain these beautiful monuments and provide this wonderful experience for all of us. Tell you what, why don't you do the big thing and drop a $5 bill in the donation box on the way out?

Have a GREAT cruise!

Alla was upfront with us when we asked that question and I felt that the fee was reasonable and I wanted to take photos, so I pay. They said just to ask on the tour bus when we board and I would get the pass. I see that Denrus had the same thing when I was comparing. I'll let everyone know how it works out when we come home.

I think the title of this thread is a bit dramatic – perhaps something like Read Your Documents would be more appropriate? As others have said, Alla provides full info in advance about camera fees. We did her 2-day “Complete St. Petersburg” and certainly were not surprised that she covered one camera pass per couple. We thought it was a benefit.

FWIW here’s what HAL Shorex had to say about camera fees.

The Russian government charges a fee to use your camera and video inside various palaces and museums in St. Petersburg. Please make sure you have correct change with you if you intend to purchase Camera/Video permits. Charges are:

Attraction Camera Video

Church of Spilled Blood US$3 US$5

Hermitage US$5 US$15

Pavlovsk US$4 US$8

Peterhof US$5 US$10

Pushkin Palace US$5 US$9

Russian Museum US$5 US$12

Yusopov Palace US$5 US$13

Wow. Thanks for the chart. :)

I am assuming I will just have to pay, and if not, I will be pleasantly surprised. It doesn't really matter to me. I was just assuming going solo I could take pictures. However, I may need to purchase the permit. Thanks for the info. I will make sure I have some small bills.

I was on an Alla tour last year (group of 7) and I was travelling solo. One person in each couple was able to take pictures and I was able to take pictures. We all knew that before the tour and it worked out just great.

I didn't realize that if there had been another solo person in our group that they and I would suddenly be considered a couple. If that had been the case, I suspect I would have paid the cost for a permit in most places. It's such a small cost compared to the money spent on the cruise, shore excursions, etc.

My goodness, a cruise costing thousands of dollars, a tour costing hundreds of dollars, and you are fussing about FOUR BUCKS??

The camera fee you pay helps maintain these beautiful monuments and provide this wonderful experience for all of us. Tell you what, why don't you do the big thing and drop a $5 bill in the donation box on the way out?

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mr Hall

we're actually going to do the deluxe tour and go to more than 1 museum.I'm not going all the way over there to see 1 place.....

I'll consider the big thing while I'm there......

Hoping to have a great cruise....Thanks

Traveller123,

I am with spb-tours. I am number 9 on the tour, so the only solo. If I don't have to pay the fees, I will just have to use up the extra change on more ice cream in ports. :-) Now that sounds like a plan! Yummmmm

When we went to the Baltics and were looking at different touring companies in St. Pete, Alla's camera fees were quite higher than Denrus'.

I chose Denrus, not because of the difference in fees, but they answered my e-mails in a more timely fashion, and kept working with us to readjust the itinerary etc. I just got a more "friendly" feel from Denrus than with Alla.

I do know the ladies at the museums "check" and "look" at the cameras to see if the sticker is on (means you paid fee for camera usuage) - my camera still has all the stickers (different colors) on it as souvenirs!

We used Alla Tours last week, and they included one camera pass per couple. Two of my group opted to purchase extra stickers ($4 each, and I think it was only at two locations), but I didn't see the camera police checking for stickers anywhere.

Traveller123,

I am with spb-tours. I am number 9 on the tour, so the only solo. If I don't have to pay the fees, I will just have to use up the extra change on more ice cream in ports. :-) Now that sounds like a plan! Yummmmm

Would u mind telling us what an spb-tour costs? Alla is charging $300 pp for her Complete SPB pkg.

Just a heads up if you're trying to decide...here is one factor I found out about I didn't realize......they allow you ONE camera "pass" per museum *per couple*.... whereas DenRus says they issue ONE PER PERSON.....If you're not traveling with somebody in your household and you both want to take pictures to show each of your friends/family....tough luck...you got to decide who gets to use their camera......or.....pay $4.00 more PER MUSEUM !!....even though each person in your group pays the same dollar amount, they don't care that you're traveling with somebody that doesn't live in your house and you each want to take your own pictures for the agreed upon rate.I asked *twice* what would happen if I booked by myself...would they pair me up with another single person and we'd have to flip a coin on who takes the pictures and who has to pay more???? They wouldn't answer that question either time.

So just a heads up for those not traveling with somebody in their household and each want to take pictures without paying more.

Happy Cruising

Alla was very upfront with us when we asked her about an extra photo permit for our son since I'm the one in the family that takes pictures. She never said to us that it was one permit per couple of people whether or not they were together. It was one permit per family group is how she clarified it whether it was a family of 4 or a single person they got one permit. If other people in the family wanted permits they were approximately $12 extra per permit for the 3 museums on the Strenous Tour. The total for all the museums we saw was $8.00 for 2 camera permits that's all that was required (there was a no deal mix up with one museum and my son put his camera away for that museum). No one checked our permits and it was not a big deal to pay an extra $8.00 for him to take pictures. I would highly recommend her tours. She is very easy to work with and always answered all of our questions without a problem.

Eileen

Traveller123,

I am with spb-tours. I am number 9 on the tour, so the only solo. If I don't have to pay the fees,

Don't wait until you get there to clear up this issue. You have a legitimate question about what your tour includes and should get it taken care of before you arrive.

Contact SPB and ask them about the camera permits and if the price of your tour includes them. It will be much less hassle to get it straightened out before you go. It is a simple question and one to which you are entitled a straight answer.

Also, if you want video passes or need more camera passes, arrange it before you go. Much simpler for you and for your tour company. Get the arrangement in writing and bring it with you day of.

Yep, that's what they look like. :) You'll need to present that, a copy of your passport, and your passport on Day 1 in St. Petersburg. Make sure you read Alla's instructions on disembarkation, as you'll lose precious time on the first day if you follow the ship's instructions.

We were on a wonderful two day excursion with Alla Tours a couple of weeks ago. Our group of 8 met on the ship before our Alla tour and decided to take our lunches with us from the ship. We ate in the van en route to Peterhof the first day and again in the van the second day. We had loads of food and shared it with our guide and driver. Although we missed the Russian dining experience I am sorry to report that after leaving St.Petersburg a Norwalk virus epidemic broke on the Comstellation, brought back by people who had eaten out in St. Petersburg! the ship's crew worked diligently to contain it, by continually disinfecting every surface in the boat and by stopping all self service dining, even removing bread, butter, sugar, s and p and flowers from the dining room! I am happy to report that only those who at an unnamed restaurant became ill and as far as I know no one else got sick. I have heard that this is not an uncommon problem when dining in Russia. Whatever option you choose I know you'll love your tour. Our guide was Vika ( Victoria) and she was so informative and just bubbling with enthusiasm. We loved her! Bon voyage!

We have just got back from a P&O cruise to the Baltics. We went four years ago and used the ships tours, we Brits on P&O tend to use the ships tours in St Petes but not this time. I resourced Alla over a year ago and booked a private tour with her for hubby and me. It was so easy Elena and driver were there waiting when we got off, this was effortless. Handed in passport and copy plus ticket emailed by Alla. This ticket is practically identical to the ships tour ticket (P&O use Denrus) We had an amazing day doing all the things we wanted to do. As we had been before and seen so much we spent a lot of our time strolling by the canal and lunching in an amazing pie shop near Church on Spilled Blood. Our canal tour was with the Russian people Elena filled us in when appropriate (the same canal tour that P&O uses). We felt so safe even on the underground where we changed trains four times. Too much hype about Russia I think. What a lovely time we had we could have been anywhere in the world only the magnificent buildings gave it away. So I say book a private tour and you will have an amazing time with Alla. As we took new crisp notes we only paid her when we got back to the ship and no deposit. Now that is trust for you. St Petersburg was our reason for going back a second time and you will so enjoy yourselves in such a clean happy city. Thank you so much Alla and Elena hope we come back a third time never say never!!!

We just came back from touring with Alla. It was a great experience. But we took food off the ship...nobody asked what was in our bags and that way we were able to sit in little parks and eat what was to our liking.

I know this might be crazy question but....can you wear shorts on the tour with Alla? We are using Alla for our tour on Aug. 24-25 and will be visiting a few churches but we don't want to offend anyone. But we do want to be comfortable and that means wearing shorts.

I know this might be crazy question but....can you wear shorts on the tour with Alla? We are using Alla for our tour on Aug. 24-25 and will be visiting a few churches but we don't want to offend anyone. But we do want to be comfortable and that means wearing shorts.

Shorts may not be a good idea for Russian Orthodox churches. They'd really like women to cover their heads (although our Alla guide said it wasn't necessary for us), so I imagine that the same suggestions for respectful dress would apply as for Catholic churches in Italy: nothing sleeveless, no shorts. I didn't notice if anybody was wearing shorts when we were there last month--there were a bazillion tourists, so it's possible. I don't remember seeing any "clothing police" like you find at the entrance to cathedrals in Italy.

Yes, you can wear shorts if you wish. We asked this same question before our tour last summer and we contacted Alla for an answer (and that answer was posted in this forum). There are no posted dress codes for the buildings you will be touring.

In our group, some of us did wear shorts for touring and we had no problems.

Archived