I would say

NL GONY MEIEHOV M.O.

SEVERNAYA VENECIYA-SER VENECIYA

SIV, NAW, KAI (RIVOEAOVA, 133

INN 78160017191 (That's the phone no. 011 7 81 60017191) TEL. 714-432

ID TERMINALA, 55513858

Regards,

HeinBloed

I had an experience with Alla Tours July 3-4, 2008 that I have been reticent to post, but after 4 weeks, the story needs to be told. We had an great tour guide named Angie who was very knowledgable,

personable, and had a great command of the English language. She was a total delight. At the end of our 2 day tour Angie took us to a local shop to purchase those necessary souvenirs. ... Visa is now going to get into a "p-----g contest with the merchant's bank, all because Alla Tours won't give us the necessary information, let alone try to help me retrieve the 2 missing pawns.

Private tours are the way to go in St. Petersburg, just choose one of

Alla's competitors. If you want more details please feel free to reach me at

rrodriguez@cruiseone.com .

UMMM -- BEWARE of Alla?

Shouldn't you say BEWARE of purchasing expensive souvenirs in unknown locations? Shouldn't you be saying be sure to check your purchases promptly? Don't you as a consumer have some responsibility here? Why do you think Alla is responsible for the actions of a merchant? Why do you think the office of Alla tours necessarily has any records of a specific shop a specific guide took you to months ago?

Unfortunately this seems to be another case of someone trying to put the blame for their own mistakes on someone else.

You do say you had a wonderful guide and a wonderful tour. Why don't you title your message "ALLA is great, but be a careful shopper!" And definitely, give that advice to your clients!!

I am sorry that your purchase in St. Petersburg is not perfect. However, I am not sure if this is Alla's problem. They don't own the store. I don't think Alla is responsible for your trouble. You can fight it out with Visa. Sometimes Visa can be generous and refund your purchase if you make enough of a stink. But stuff like this happens to naive tourists.

If you are a travel specialsit, it should not be a surprise to you that things like this happens in many many countries...the switcheroo. Read any guidebook to places in Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and the guidebook will warn you about the switcheroo as well as many other precaution you need to take regarding purchase.

So instead of warning your clients against booking Alla Tour, why not advise them about scheme that they may encounter in a foreign land.

One more suggestion, did you have trip protection? I know the policy we sell will cover lost or damaged souvenirs, just an idea.

I agree, I don't think this should be Alla's responsibility, however it would have been nice if they could have been more receptive in helping you contact the shop.

the Title " Beware of ALLA tours" is certainly unfair to the tour company.
Of course it is. That was the OP's intention.

It's a case of "I wanted Alla Tours to help, but they didn't. So I am now going to throw my toys out of the pram and kick out at Alla Tours. Never mind whether it actually has anything much to do with them."

I wouldn't mind putting a small wager on the possibility that one of the OP's emails to Alla Tours said something like "If you don't put this right, I will slam you on an internet board." Which, in my book, would be blackmail.

Mind you, I've never understood the fascination for expensive souvenirs. The best things to bring home from a foreign land are experiences, knowledge and memories.

It's a case of "I wanted Alla Tours to help, but they didn't. So I am now going to throw my toys out of the pram and kick out at Alla Tours. Never mind whether it actually has anything much to do with them."

I wouldn't mind putting a small wager on the possibility that one of the OP's emails to Alla Tours said something like "If you don't put this right, I will slam you on an internet board." Which, in my book, would be blackmail.

Mind you, I've never understood the fascination for expensive souvenirs. The best things to bring home from a foreign land are experiences, knowledge and memories.

You are being far too logical and wise. When is the last time you heard someone say "he has a lot of common sense?" I gave up on fairness and civic responsibility years ago. Example - the day I boarded Nautica in Istanbul, I strolled up to the Library and found the entire cabinet of "Current Bestsellers" wiped out. A 26-day cruise, all the time in the world and, on the first day, somebody has to clear out the books and hide them in their room. It's all about "me."

Your comment about bringing home "experiences, knowledge, and memories" was spot-on.

Digression - At long last, I am booked for Antarctica in Jan 2010 on Corinthinian II. I don't know if we'll get to Deception Island but I'll always remember your stories and photos of swimming in that crater - talk about a memory! Big secret - I'm not a fan of penguins after seeing the polar bears in Svalbard. I'm on this "expedition" for comparison to Far North and Royal Albatrosses.

Ruby

Anyone who has read the sad story about the souvenirs below, and anyone who knows and have used Alla Tours before like we have, knows that Alla is a very reputable individual who operates a company that provides excellent guides and services at prices far lower than cruise ships have to offer.

We had a couple of unfortunate situations with our small group and when they were explained to Alla she quickly tried to resolve them on the spot. Both times they were not her fault, but she personnally took care of them. I don't want to go into the details but suffice it say that I would highly recommend her and the knowledgable, friendly guide, Irina, who for three days showed and told us more than we expected to see and hear from one person.

b103.jpg

Thank you Alla and Irina.

We used Alla Tours and Angie was our guide too! She was wonderful and took extra time on our first day as it took longer to disembark than we expected. I do not think it is fair to blame Alla for a shopping problem. We were warned over and over again about buying in the stores in St Petersburg. I would definately use Alla again and would request Angie too.

We will be in SPB next summer and have been in contact with Alla tours. We are traveling with teens and are wondering if there is a guide that those of you who have toured with Alla would recommend as being dynamic, enthusiastic and engaging for the hard-to-please teen age group. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

Merced Mike I never said that AllaTours was responsible for the probelm I had with a merchant they took me to. My problem with Alla Tours is that they have been unwilling to provide me with the name and contact information

of the merchant so that I could attempt to resolve the problem myself. All I asked of Alla was please provide me with the name of the merchant. She would not. I only contacted Alla because I could not read the Russian on the charge slip.

It was and is lousy customer service from the management of Alla tours and had nothing to do with the quality of the tour or the tour guide. To the Alla apologists...you missed the point big time.

Thanks to HeinBloed for the deciphering. I think I have figured out how to phone the merchant thanks to your help.

We will be in SPB next summer and have been in contact with Alla tours. We are traveling with teens and are wondering if there is a guide that those of you who have toured with Alla would recommend as being dynamic, enthusiastic and engaging for the hard-to-please teen age group. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

I think Leenie was very pleased with her Alla guide who interacted well with her 9- and 13-year-old sons. I'm sure she'll check in soon and answer your question.

Merced Mike I never said that AllaTours was responsible for the probelm I had with a merchant they took me to. My problem with Alla Tours is that they have been unwilling to provide me with the name and contact information

of the merchant so that I could attempt to resolve the problem myself. All I asked of Alla was please provide me with the name of the merchant. She would not. I only contacted Alla because I could not read the Russian on the charge slip.

It was and is lousy customer service from the management of Alla tours and had nothing to do with the quality of the tour or the tour guide. To the Alla apologists...you missed the point big time.

Thanks to HeinBloed for the deciphering. I think I have figured out how to phone the merchant thanks to your help.

Let me get this straight. You would rather spend your time making international long distance calls to argue with a sales clerk who answers the phone than have Visa attempt to resolve the problem. The name of the merchant should show up on your itemized bill, so reporting to Visa the name of the merchant should not be a problem.

And to you, everyone who thinks that Alla is just an innocent third party in this dispute is an "apologist".

For the record, we had a wonderful tour in the summer of 2007 using Alla's services. Our guide was Viktoria, who has since opened her own company spb-tours.

add us to the list of happy customers......we went out with Elena from Alla Tours last weekend and a wonderful 2 day trip.....

SRQfireman - Great to hear that you had a wonderful time with Alla Tours. I know you had some dissonance before you left so I'm glad that things went well. We also had Elena as our guide & we thought she was the best. Thanks for posting.

Archived