Anytime Dining Has Gone Downhill - opinions?

bburns

Wheretonext - I don't think anyone would deny the fact that you need a set time due to illness. Only a fool would think otherwise.

What I fail to understand is you pick AD because you don't want to be locked in to a certain time, yet making a reservation everynight for the same time is almost the same as Traditional - at least that is how I see it.

We go to dinner when we go to dinner. Wait 10 minutes, no problem, wait for our fav waitstaff, no problem. I dunno, maybe it is just me:D

You don't get it...

I want to have a set time..I just can't sit at a table with everyone else, the pace is too slow.

What you think is a leisurely dinner....is HELL for me

I have specific pain meds that I take to fly, so I can have quality of life and not have to give up my passion for travel.

BUT those can only be taken for flying not the entire length of a cruise.

It is almost impossible to get a table for 2 during traditional dining..which is what I need.

To guarantee that we go to anytime dining and make arrangements...

as soon as each line opens up, I get my food 1st, my dessert order is done with dinner...I can be out of the dining room in 40 minutes or less

that way I can enjoy the traditional dining experience that I have for 30 years!

As some of you know from reading my other posts

I have stage 4 endometriosis. I live with chronic level 8 pain 24/7.[/color][/size]

Sitting for more than 30 minutes takes it to a level 9.

I can not sit through a traditional dining paced meal with any other passengers.

There's is also a limited window of time when I take my pain meds

that I can then enjoy sitting down properly in a chair for a dinner.

We make a reservation in the anytime dining room at 5:45pm [/color][/size]for every evening for a table for 2. The Maitre D, head waiter,and waiter are aware of my health and all of us work together to create a system...so my order is coming out as soon as each line opens up. and then my dessert order has been placed with my dinner order.

Everyone has been fabulous about this.

If we won't make it one particular evening, we call and release the table

This system has worked for us with 6 different Maitre D's on twice as many ships.

I also know of 2 diabetics that have begun having set reservations during anytime dining.

So, don't be so quick to judge others because they do something that seems unconventional to you!

Well this is an entirely different kettle of fish . You are certainly considerate in that you do this very early in the evening and release the table for two when you end up not needing it . Good to know in the event I ever find myself in a similar situation of a health issue . Thanks .

Some ships do standing reservations, others do not, and others only in certain circumstances. It depends on the management staff and how they handle anytime dining.

As always, the man to talk to is the area Head Waiter or the Matre' De.

Interesting - we have never had our request denied (over 20 cruises) and it has always been handled by the person assigning tables at the dining room.

This just is another example of how things vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise with Princess.

We have only tried Anytime Dining once, on the Golden Princess last October, and we didn't care for it. The service was pretty bad compared to what we had received in Traditional. Not sure if this is indicative of Anytime across the fleet, but for us, we've gone back to Traditional.

You don't get it...

I want to have a set time..I just can't sit at a table with everyone else, the pace is too slow.

I have specific pain meds that I take to fly, so I can have quality of life and not have to give up my passion for travel.

It is almost impossible to get a table for 2 during traditional dining..which is what I need.

as soon as each line opens up, I get my food 1st, my dessert order is done with dinner...I can be out of the dining room in 40 minutes or less

that way I can enjoy the traditional dining experience that I have for 30 years!

OMG!!!! - I am so sorry, only the first Paragraph was directly meant for you only. Ther rest of the Post was just about those who want AD but want reservations for a certain time, etc. It was a generic YOU but I should have worded it better.

Please, I meant no disrespect. I do get it and totally agree with you, Wheretonext.:)

What are the least busy times for anytime dining?

I dont follow the heard I eat when I feel like eating, 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 midnight.

if i know what is a less busy time then i will hold out for that time frame no big deal I highly doubt I will die of starvation on a cruise!

I admit, this post has made me a little curious. As I understand it, even though someone has signed up for traditional dining, they can jump over to anytime dining whenever they wish (but not the other way around). I imagine this happens a lot on days where the ship leaves the port late. What happens to the waitstaff in traditional dining? Do some of them have to go over to help out in the other dining rooms (because of the extra passengers there) or do they just "luck out" that night with fewer tables to wait on? I'm just curious as to how this works. The same for if someone in traditional dining goes to one of the specialty restaurants - does the ship alert the dining room that the table will be empty that night?

As for us, we are in anytime dining. I don't think it will be a problem since there are 4 of us and we don't mind sitting at larger tables.

Its not a matter of starvation. Its a matter of being able to do the other things you want to do on that cruise. If they won't let you in anytime dining until 8pm, you can't go see the 8-9pm entertainment. That was a part of my cruise purchase price, I ought to be able to go see it. You could wait for the really late entertainment at 11 to midnight, but when the ship is scheduling shore excursions for 6/7am the next day, its not a viable option.

Personally, I don't understand why they allow anytime dining reservations (other than a case like the lady who wrote in about endometriosis). Reservations are not any time.

In our recent May cruise, after having problems getting into anytime dining the 1st day, I resorted to reservations. They wouldn't allow us to make reservations until 8am each day and reservations could only be made for that day. I called right at 8am, was put on hold for quite some time, and then once the live person finally answered, was told all tables were taken until 8:15pm. This happened on more than one day.

We went to the dining room at 5:30 (when it opened) and were turned away until 8:15pm because we didn't have reservations. To be able to see the show, we had no choice but to go to the buffet. It was formal night. Do you think the buffet was serving lobster? No. So, Princess turns me away from Anytime dining and then won't serve me the same meal, which I paid for.

I'm curious about the people who wrote in that say they make a standing reservation for the same table each night at the beginning of the cruise. How? Princess said reservations can't be done more than a day at a time.

So, has anytime dining turned into a money under the table maneuver with the head waiter & maitre'd? That would explain why even though a person calls at 8am for reservations, they can't get them. They are already all taken for cash.

Its just all wrong. Make anytime dining really any time. 1st come, 1st served (unless you have an extreme case like the lady with the medical condition). As I said, I've sailed with Princess alot. Anytime dining started out good, but its been going downhill and now, ugghh.

We also tried Anytime dining this time rather than the Traditional that we usually do. We were on the Coral Princess - Alaska in May. Everynight there was a wait for a table for two. They do give you a pager so you can walk around and do something else for a while. A table for two can be a table with 4 inches between tables, so not really a table for two in the standard sense. We did meet a lot of very nice people and had good conversations. The service was not good. One waiter took my order, and then proceeded to bring me everything I had not ordered. Then he told me, but you will really like this - but I didn't order that. The waitstaff was preoccupied like they couldn't wait to get you out of there. It is possible to get a great waiter and the same table every night at a specific time/ One waiter did tell us to ask for his table (they have numbers on them) for the same time each night. Our probelm was the time - we couldn't decide when to eat. I'm not sold on Anytime with Princess, wish they had more restaurants or choices without covers, etc. Horizon Court was always good.

Personally, I don't understand why they allow anytime dining reservations (other than a case like the lady who wrote in about endometriosis). Reservations are not any time.

In our recent May cruise, after having problems getting into anytime dining the 1st day, I resorted to reservations. They wouldn't allow us to make reservations until 8am each day and reservations could only be made for that day. I called right at 8am, was put on hold for quite some time, and then once the live person finally answered, was told all tables were taken until 8:15pm. This happened on more than one day.

We went to the dining room at 5:30 (when it opened) and were turned away until 8:15pm because we didn't have reservations. To be able to see the show, we had no choice but to go to the buffet. It was formal night. Do you think the buffet was serving lobster? No. So, Princess turns me away from Anytime dining and then won't serve me the same meal, which I paid for.

I'm curious about the people who wrote in that say they make a standing reservation for the same table each night at the beginning of the cruise. How? Princess said reservations can't be done more than a day at a time.

So, has anytime dining turned into a money under the table maneuver with the head waiter & maitre'd? That would explain why even though a person calls at 8am for reservations, they can't get them. They are already all taken for cash.

Its just all wrong. Make anytime dining really any time. 1st come, 1st served (unless you have an extreme case like the lady with the medical condition). As I said, I've sailed with Princess alot. Anytime dining started out good, but its been going downhill and now, ugghh.

We have not noticed any decline in AD. The only decline we have noticed is in the quality of the food, reduction of things being prepared in the dining room such as the flambes and pasta, and other previous items that were served and not available now, regardless of TD or AD.

I am one of those who does make a standing reservation for 8PM every night having the same table, waitstaff and a table for 2. I have done it on every ship that we have cruised on since Princess started AD. We have taken at least 20 Princess cruises since they started AD. No, I do NOT give anyone any money or pretend to do so. We go to the AD dining room the first night at 8PM. Request a table for 2. Then when we finish our meal we go to the Dining Room Head Waiter and ask if we may have that table for the duration of the cruise. Never had a problem and were never told that we must call every day to do so.

Is this fair for us to make reservations every night? Why not, everyone has the same options and can request it. The main thing to remember is that you will not normally get reservations for times between 7-8PM. That is normally their busiest times. Happy Cruising!

We have not noticed any decline in AD. The only decline we have noticed is in the quality of the food, reduction of things being prepared in the dining room such as the flambes and pasta, and other previous items that were served and not available now, regardless of TD or AD.

I am one of those who does make a standing reservation for 8PM every night having the same table, waitstaff and a table for 2. I have done it on every ship that we have cruised on since Princess started AD. We have taken at least 20 Princess cruises since they started AD. No, I do NOT give anyone any money or pretend to do so. We go to the AD dining room the first night at 8PM. Request a table for 2. Then when we finish our meal we go to the Dining Room Head Waiter and ask if we may have that table for the duration of the cruise. Never had a problem and were never told that we must call every day to do so.

Is this fair for us to make reservations every night? Why not, everyone has the same options and can request it. The main thing to remember is that you will not normally get reservations for times between 7-8PM. That is normally their busiest times. Happy Cruising!

And once again, why not just book late traditional if you eat at 8pm every night?? :cool:

And once again, why not just book late traditional if you eat at 8pm every night?? :cool:

It is almost impossible to get Traditional now and then if you do, you cannot get a table for 2. Maybe you know someone that can get us TD and a table for 2. LOL

Thanks for your help. Happy Cruising!

Although it has been almost two years since we sailed on the Caribbean Princess, we had a great experience with anytime dining. As sated by some other posters, the only time we waited was on formal nights. Other than that we found it great. We got to know the staff and they were wonderful.

You don't get it...

that the Princess staff will accomodate everything else but not give u a 2 top...

I am diabetic and suffer from arthritis also so I understand wanting to dine a bit more quickly than some others do.

I have never failed to get a 2 top in traditional - and I don't always cruise in a suite either!

Even if it is waitlisted I send in a copy of my Drs certificate to the Princess head office saying I need traditional in a 2 top plus I also need expediated service and in my case 'early' dining and I always get it. Have been told that the cruiselines always put medical reasons above all else..in regards dining requests..

Suggest u at least try the same procedure and I hope it is of assistance to u.

I sympathize with your condition - not pleasant but I am glad u can still enjoy your cruises..

Have happy future cruisin'! :)

This may be somewhat off topic, but on our last cruise, (on which we opted for personal choice dining as we normally do) another couple was able to reserve the same window seating for two, for the entire 15-day cruise. We checked with the Maitre d' and were told the pax had a firm 8:15 booking and unless we wanted to eat at least one hour early so they could serve us and clear the table in time, we could not be seated at that particular table. If you're going to eat at the same time at the same table I wonder why you wouldn't want traditional? I wonder if anyone else has come across something like this?

I just returned (June 16) from the Island Princess. I posted a review. I decided that I would go with Anytime dining due to the itinerary (Alaska). I thought this would give me some leeway. I did read several posts prior to cruising that were negative about Anytime. Like a restaurant you were given beepers, etc. But at that late date, I had no choice. The ship was full and I would have been on a waiting list for either dining times in the main dining room. On the first day, we met with the Maitre'd (right at 5:45) and requested a window table for 4. Low and behold we got it as well as the on-going reservation. But just like you said - why not stick with traditional dining? Service was poor, not friendly at all. So for my next Princess cruise, I am already signed up for Traditional dining. No more Anytime for me.

Kathleen

In May we went to Alaska on the Golden. My husband is extremely hard of hearing, so I spoke to the Matrd the first day about 4:30p.m. and asked for a table for 2 in AD. He was very accommodating and we had a perfect table and wonderful service. Everynight we were treated like royalty!

DH loves to talk but in a noisy dining room it is impossible to understand and it is not fair to the others at the table. I have to repeat everything that is said and that is not fun either.!

We are confirmed in TD for our next cruise next April. If unable to get a table for 2 in there I will ask to have one in AD.

DH and I had very good luck with anytime dining. We tend to dine very early and had no problem getting a table for two each night and did not have to wait once.

As persons that have worked in restaurants for years, I go to dinner with DH to spend time with him and not the servers, so not having the same waitstaff each night was never a problem, in fact it might have been a blessing

Given what I read, the way to get around the Anytime dining "not" being able to eat when you want in order to see the shows (due to early tours the next day) and get the lobster, is to make a standing reservation with the head waiter.

For the Princess Corporation people who undoubtably read this site, what/why? You have a written policy that reservations can not be made more than 1 day in advance and that there is a phone line (which puts you on hold for long periods of time) that you are supposed to use. I am a very long term Princess cruiser and don't understand that at all. So there are rules, but don't follow them? What is the point of anytime dining? You've changed it to traditional dining. Make anytime really ANY TIME, unless you've got someone with a severe situation.

For the people who make the standing reservations, do they let you do that earlier in the evening for a table of 2? I saw in your note you said 8pm. How about 6:30pm? Do they let you do that?

I speak with the Maitre D the 1st day of the cruise.

and we request 5:45pm.

Since we are only there 45 minutes max because I can't sit long the table is wide open the rest of the evening.

If I'm in too much pain from a long day in port or just normally high pain levels..I walk or call down to dining room when it opens and release the table...

To: cruiscrasy...I'm Elite and have been cruising with Princess since I was a small child...even then they can't always guarantee a 2 top.

I always carry with me at all times Doctors diagnosis etc etc... in case something happens and I can't communicate it....

The system that we have come up with seems to be a win/win...Princess has a long time happy cruiser and I'm considerate of the staff and my fellow passengers.

...For the people who make the standing reservations, do they let you do that earlier in the evening for a table of 2? I saw in your note you said 8pm. How about 6:30pm? Do they let you do that?

The times that are available for "anytime dining" reservations varies from ship-to-ship as do policies regarding cruise-long table requests. Some ships don't take "anytime" reservations between 6 and 8PM because those are the busiest times in the dining rooms. Other ships seem to make "anytime" reservations throughout the evening.

DH and I have had reservations for 7:00 or 7:30 on a couple of sailings, while these times were not available for standing reservations on other cruises. We usually make our dining arrangements with a Head Waiter or the Maitre d' - no tip up front, but we do take care of them at the end of the cruise ;)

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Does anyone know what "priority Anytime Dining reservations" means to passengers in a full suite?

My DH is not a fan of eating with strangers so we plan on making a reservation the nights we eat in the dining room. We also plan on eating at the Steakhouse one night, doing UBD and one regular room service meal, so we won't be making a standing reservation.

Just throwing in my opinion of why I like Anytime Dining.

1) We met a variety of great people that we would not have met had we sat at the same table every night.

2) If there was a particular show or event we wanted to attend, we did not have to coordinate it with a certain dinner time.

3) Not always hungry at the same time every day

4) Didn't want to have to adhere to a schedule every night

5) I actually enjoyed having a chance to meet different servers. Some were better than others, but it added to the experience I think.

I'm sure the avid traditional diners could come up with a similar list. I think it's great everyone has a chance to do their own thing.

Just throwing in my opinion of why I like Anytime Dining.

1) We met a variety of great people that we would not have met had we sat at the same table every night.

2) If there was a particular show or event we wanted to attend, we did not have to coordinate it with a certain dinner time.

3) Not always hungry at the same time every day

4) Didn't want to have to adhere to a schedule every night

5) I actually enjoyed having a chance to meet different servers. Some were better than others, but it added to the experience I think.

I'm sure the avid traditional diners could come up with a similar list. I think it's great everyone has a chance to do their own thing.

I agree 100%, as long as anytime stays what it was created for...... anytime dining, not dining with reservations. ;)

Archived