Anytime Dining Has Gone Downhill - opinions?

bburns

I don't get it (yes, I've read it all!) reservations for "Anytime".

Regardless of the numerous explanations; Reservations - and Anytime do not compute!:confused: :confused:

Be careful!

Karma has a way of sneaking up on you....

Would you be willing to trade places with me

Living life with 24/7 level 8 pain, wears me out

just trying to enjoy the simple things you take for granted!

Like sitting through a complete dinner on a cruise ship!

Be careful!

Karma has a way of sneaking up on you....

Would you be willing to trade places with me

Living life with 24/7 level 8 pain, wears me out

just trying to enjoy the simple things you take for granted!

Like sitting through a complete dinner on a cruise ship!

OK, I give up.

What the heck are you talking about here??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Is your signature blatant advertisement, or what? :confused: :confused:

...I see some people think the answer is to pay the Maitre D or Head Waiter to get the same table every night at a specific time. I now understand why we could see all the empty tables even though they were turning us away. Thats just nuts. Why would Princess allow that to happen?

Its just all wrong. Princess needs to make anytime dining really any time. 1st come, 1st served (unless you have an extreme case of a medical condition). As I said, I've sailed with Princess alot. Anytime dining started out good, but its been going downhill and now, ugghh.

I responded to your previous post on another thread about the "empty table" situation.

Empty tables...

...We went to the dining room at 5:30 (when it opened) and were turned away until 8:15pm (even though we could see open tables) because we didn't have reservations. /quote]

The open tables were likely already reserved for later in the evening: 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30. We have noticed that tables are vacant even when there would be ample time for folks to have their dinner before the people with reservations arrive. Here's an example:

When DH and I were on the CB last October, we found a very personable and competent wait team on the third night of our cruise. We didn't make reservations but asked to be seated in Gilbert's section when we arrived at the entrance to Palm Dining Room. We didn't have the same table each night but were seated at a table for two as requested.

On the second formal night of the 7-night cruise, we hoped to again be seated in Gilbert's section. We hadn't made reservations, the dining room was very busy, and we had to be seated elsewhere. We had a nice dinner but missed the repartee that we would have had with Gilbert and his assistant. We wanted to say "hello" to them and let them know that we'd be back in their section the following evening (last night of the cruise).

Gilbert saw us and motioned for us to come to a table for two where we had sat the previous evening. We told him that we were finished with our dinner and hadn't been able to get a table in his section. He seemed surprised because that table had been vacant since the dining room opened. We had arrived for dinner at 6:15 and were done at 7:45.

The Head Waiter who had greeted us when we arrived at the dining room happened to be circulating in Gilbert's section. We showed him the empty table that we could have had from 6:15-7:45 with time for turnaround before the party with reservations arrived at 8:00. The Head Waiter apologized and promised that we would have the table the following night.

I think this scenario is repeated frequently in anytime venues when reservations are taken for the most popular dining times. jmo

Chris

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=807193&page=2

OK, I give up.

What the heck are you talking about here??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Is your signature blatant advertisement, or what? :confused: :confused:

You said you read all the posts and still disagree

So I responded to that ..

See post 70, 76, and 77 on this thread and then you will get why I responded the way I did to yours...

Regarding my signature...my personal travel website and the content of that is not relevant to this thread...

so it is not posted on this particular thread. Nothng blantant about it

Is the wait for Anytime shorter if we choose to share a table with others??? We will probably eat around 6pm except for the one night when we dont leave port until 7pm.Thanks!!

If you are willing to share a table with others, you will most likely be seated immediately.

Chris

You said you read all the posts and still disagree

So I responded to that ..

See post 70, 76, and 77 on this thread and then you will get why I responded the way I did to yours...

Regarding my signature...my personal travel website and the content of that is not relevant to this thread...

so it is not posted on this particular thread. Nothng blantant about it

Thanks for your explanation.

Yes, I have read the entire thread, and consider each poster as an individual opinion.

You have no idea of my physical condition, nor shall I reveal such - it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, as far as I am concerned.

Obviously, you and I have two different takes on a particular situation.

In no way am I not empathetic of your condition.

That being said, I still do not get why something would be advertised as "Anytime" and still require reservations for the masses. To my mind, the two do not go together. This is my only point - no offense intended at all towards you or your situation.

Particular situations such as yours, and perhaps mine, are considered on an individual basis, and to me, seem entirely separate from the discussion of "Anytime" dining. JMHO.

Oh yes, I would still opt for Anytime Dining!

Are you listening Princess???? Reservations should not be accepted for anytime. It has gotten out of control.

Couldn't agree with you more!! Honestly don't think that the initial "Anytime Dining" was meant to be used with reservations!! Looks like Princess caved in to people complaining:rolleyes:

Are you listening Princess???? Reservations should not be accepted for anytime. It has gotten out of control.

Well said my friend.......

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Some ships do standing reservations, others do not, and others only in certain circumstances. It depends on the management staff and how they handle anytime dining.

That was our experience on the Emerald Princess this past February. We wanted a standing reservation for 8 between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m. We were told we could only have a standing reservation if we made it for 6:00 or 8:15...isn't that traditional? So, we had to do the 6:00.

We will be sailing the Star in about 2 weeks and we are hoping to reserve a table for 10 at 6:30ish as we have 3 diabetics in our family group who are use to eating about that time.

I don't get it (yes, I've read it all!) reservations for "Anytime".

Regardless of the numerous explanations; Reservations - and Anytime do not compute!:confused: :confused:

For some of us "Anytime" means times in between early and late traditional seating but we still would like a standing reservation for say, 7:00 as 6:00 is too early to eat and 8:15 too late...we just don't get the choice of a 7:00 "traditional" dining time so we need to make reservations in the AD dining rooms.

OooooKaaaaaay:confused:

Somehow, reservations are required, regardless, but still call it "Anytime" according to Princess.

I agree with a previous poster who said Princess caved due to some complaints.

Perhaps they will cave again, and really give folks what they are advertising.

We understand NCL's Freestyle - Now, that really is "Anytime". No reservations unless for specialty restaurants. :)

I accept your explanation - for you, but......well, never mind.

I better go take a Princess cruise again.

Archived