Last Minute Tips

schinz

Hey all. We sail on the Summit Friday for the first time. I read a board on here once that gave people's last minute tips. <Stuff like bring your own water, bring a power strip, etc.> Would anyone like to share some of their last minute suggestions so we don't forget anything important? Thanks all.

Bring your sense of humor!!! Usually, nothing goes perfectly right, so don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy all of your new experiences. Your cruise will be what you make it to be, so make it a fun and positive trip. Don't forget your camera(s) and your sunglasses.

Have a wonderful and memorable cruise, and let all of us know how much you enjoyed it when you return!!

Peggy

I read this tip on another travel website so I can't take the credit for it..

Before you travel scan copies of your passport, travel insurance and any other important documents such as credit card protection etc. Then E mail them to yourself. If the worst should happen and you lose any of these items simply go to the nearest internet cafe and access your E mail and all your details will be there for you to print out!

Hope this helps

Lisa

If you bring a photocopy of your passport you can take that in to the ports and leave your passport in the cabin safe.

If you REALLY wanted don't forget items which are probably too late for you anyway, here goes:

power strip/extension cord

clothes pins

something to read

duct tape, bungee cords

tooth repair kit

small emergency kit

meds and 4 to 5 days extra

wrinkle release/clothes hanger

steamer

cash, lots

etc

etc:)

If you bring a photocopy of your passport you can take that in to the ports and leave your passport in the cabin safe.
We always take the passport ashore and have a copy in the safe. If you need to show a passport to an official in a foreign country I'm not willing to take the chance that the response to a photocopy is "Sorry, not good enough."

Chances of it happening.....very remote. Still, IMHO, carry the passport.

On our last cruise when my SO started dressing for formal night, he realized that his suit pants weren't underneath the jacket. So I would suggest that when packing you check to make sure you have what you need for each outfit.

I agree. I always took my passport but I was told it's a safety issue as passports are just like currency in many of the ports we visit. I was assured that a photocopy was the safest way to go. This came from the passport office. Of course I always take my drivers license.

On 8 cruises I've never has to take water. I don't buy it in the ship either. I do bring one large bottle for the plane time, but I then refill that for excursions. Really, if you are showering, you are probably getting ship's water in your mouth. I've never found the water unpalatable. If I'm really on the ball, I get some lemon slices (with my tea) and keep them fresh in the ice bucket or fridge. That freshens the water bottle and adds a little bite to the taste. Carrying all that water on board is a lot of trouble and weight.

passports are just like currency in many of the ports we visit.
I agree that passports have value to the "criminal element". That's why we guard ours as we would cash.

However, in the rare case that you need to produce one, I don't believe that there is any substitute.

The number one problem with travelers is forgeting their ID, Passport, birth certificate whatever. The second is packing their ID in their check-in luggage

Always make 2 photo copies of the first page (your picture and pertenent information) of your passport. Leave one at home with a relative or friend. Carry the other with you but NOT with your passport. If passport is lost or stolen it makes things a lot easier to get a replacement at the U.S. embassy.

All the information they need is right their on that one page. If you cannot find teh copy remember you relative or friend has a copy and can easily fax it to the embassy.

This is too late for Schinz, but we just got back from a trip to Bermuda aboard the Horizon. I wish I had brought a tavel coffee mug that would hold more than 4 oz. The cups on the ship were tiny. A few plastic cocktail glasses would have been nice for the times we poured our own in the cabin, then went for a stroll. A water bottle was also nice to have.

Archived