Formal Nights on 14 night Cruise

CCKelly

We'll be on a 14 night Prinsendam cruise this August, it's my understanding that should mean 4 formal nights (2 per 7 day cruise). But the itinerary is very port intensive, any thoughts on whether we will really have 4 formal nights or maybe just 3? I'm starting to think about packing.

I know there have been a lot of threads recently about formal nights and whether it is really necessary to dress, but I am looking forward to it and my husband will get to wear his Tux. We don't really have many opportunities to dress up, so it seems like a nice idea to me. But then, we are definitely not "Carnival" people. I'm looking forward to the teak promenade, the Crows Nest, the classic look, the ship-like traditions, and the Prinsendam!

Also, would it be appropriate to wear something nice (not formal) and my husband wear a suit to the Pinnacle Grill one night, or would we be out of place if it is not a formal night?

Thanks!

We'll be on a 14 night Prinsendam cruise this August, it's my understanding that should mean 4 formal nights (2 per 7 day cruise).

On a 15 day cruise to Hawaii and back, we had three formal nights. This was with 10 sea days, so the guideline apparently gets adjusted. Your cruise documentation should spell it out in specifics.

Also, would it be appropriate to wear something nice (not formal) and my husband wear a suit to the Pinnacle Grill one night, or would we be out of place if it is not a formal night?

Thanks!

The PG follows the same dress code as the rest of the ship. Wearing a suit on a smart casual night will be well dressed.

On a 15 day cruise to Hawaii and back, we had three formal nights. This was with 10 sea days, so the guideline apparently gets adjusted. Your cruise documentation should spell it out in specifics.

The PG follows the same dress code as the rest of the ship. Wearing a suit on a smart casual night will be well dressed.

Our 15 day Hawaiian cruise on the Amsterdam had 4 formal nights.

We'll be on a 14 night Prinsendam cruise this August, it's my understanding that should mean 4 formal nights (2 per 7 day cruise). But the itinerary is very port intensive, any thoughts on whether we will really have 4 formal nights or maybe just 3? I'm starting to think about packing.

I know there have been a lot of threads recently about formal nights and whether it is really necessary to dress, but I am looking forward to it and my husband will get to wear his Tux. We don't really have many opportunities to dress up, so it seems like a nice idea to me. But then, we are definitely not "Carnival" people. I'm looking forward to the teak promenade, the Crows Nest, the classic look, the ship-like traditions, and the Prinsendam!

Thanks!

The Prinsendam attracks more people who are accustomed to dressing up.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I didn't realize that our cruise documents would tell us how many formal nights we will have, I was thinking they would be more generic - just indicating 2 in 7 days.

A Black & White Ball??????? I would have never considered that. I guess this could be a formal night then. I hope our cruise documents let us know if that is the case, so I can plan.

With so many people appearing to prefer casual these days, and since we obviously don't cruise much, we may not get too many chances to dress up before the policy is changed to all casual nights.

A Black & White Ball??????? I would have never considered that. I guess this could be a formal night then. I hope our cruise documents let us know if that is the case, so I can plan.

I have never had my documents indicate there was a Black & White Ball on the schedule. Never. :( It would have been helpful.

Sometimes there's an overview in your cabin when you first board; you can check if a B&W Ball is listed, and hold out the outfit you want for that night.

Or, you can check at the Front Desk when you board to see if there's any info on plans for a Ball.

Last Nov. on our 14 day, the documents said 4 formal nights. Once onboard it turned into only 3 :eek: and one of those was the black/white ball. Yes, it was with Captain Albert on Veendam.

Wonder how it will come out this Fall on the Maasdam 14 day??

I'm on my first 14 day cruise on the Maasdam this fall! I'm taking enough for at least four formal nights.

I work in an uniform everyday and really don't get the chance to dress up. I love formal nights and have a small set just for cruising! One of my fave things on HAL is formal night,having a cocktail in one of the lounges and waiting for the chimes to announce dinner!

I know some people don't like to dress up, but I do!!

Happy sailing!!

Thanks!

Just returned from June 14day Prinsendam Baltic Cruise. We had 4 formal nights just as the docs stated. If there was a black & white ball....I wasn't aware of it.

My table really thought that the 3rd might be the last. But since the 3rd night the cloth covers weren't on the chairs, no intro/parade of chefs......some predicted there'd be a 4th. Another clue was that after the 3rd formal night....the tux rental sign never left the front desk area. :)

With luggage weight a premium, I had 2 formal attires......but also brought 2 tops that could be either "dressed down" or "blinged up" whichever way it broke. Other gals at my table seemed to do the very same thing. I saw two others also re-use tops/jackets that were worn one night with dressy capris & strappy sandals re-cycled over a dressy long skirt with pearls, glitter pins, hair pins & the sparkly shoes & bag added for a whole other look. They'd brought the glitz stuff anyway for the other formal nights..they just put it on and dressed up 2 other tops that could double-duty & "made it work.". Nice black dresses can do the very same "smart to formal thing" with a fancy shawl or jeweled cardigan or shrug, the dressy shoes/bag you already brought & your bling.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful cruise. You will love the Prinsendam.

Martha

we're leaving town for our Prinsendam cruise later this week, so I read this thread with GREAT interest.

I have not found any thing about formal nights in our cruise docs. There are 2 pages about regular and open seating though. I am taking 3 formals, and if there is a 4th, I will either rewear the one that still fits, or pull some separates together and smile.

Now I just have to figure out what to pack for the rest off the vacation!

Look in the booklet that has your cruise 'ticket'. Toward the front, it gives your itinerary and then states how many formal and how many smart casual nights.

You will see the page before you get to the actual cruise 'ticket'.

For our Maasdam cruise, it is stated just under the itinerary.

Thanks FinelyRetired.

I had not noticed that there was a response to my thread specifically regarding the Prinsendam. So I'll plan on four nights, looking forward to formal nights (except maybe on a busy port day), so that's fine.

Yes, we are really looking forward to the Prinsendam and all the Baltic ports!

It looks like someone just gave the Prinsendam a not so great (fairly bad) review under the "Reviews" portion of this site. So that was a little disappointing and not what I expected, but I guess it's best to take some reviews with a grain of salt, maybe the whole story isn't being told.

Look in the booklet that has your cruise 'ticket'. Toward the front, it gives your itinerary and then states how many formal and how many smart casual nights.

I had been searching for that info for our July 7th cruise and thanks to you I found it on the back of the Itinerary page in that booklet.. We are having 3 formal nights for our 12 day Venice to Venice...

Have a great day!

Wendy:)

I've been on two 14-day and two 15-day cruises. One had three formal nights, and the other four. I wore the same formal outfits twice (yes! :eek: ). I'm not wasting precious suitcase space for four different formal outfits that I only wear for 3-4 hours each. Men have it much easier-same suit, different shirts. ;)

I've never been on a cruise that had a black-and-white ball.

On our 14 day cruises we have had 4 formal nights. But as you have mentioned your cruise is very port intensive.

On non formal nights, DH wears either a suite or jacket (sometimes with a tie - sometimes without) and I wear a dressy outfit.

On our 14 day Veendam cruise there was a Black and White Ball. On our 19 day Westerdam cruise - nothing.[/b]

I have been on over 22 cruises, two with Holland, but I have never heard of a Black & White Ball. What in the heck is this?

Since in August I will be on the Veendam for 14 days, and since the captain likes the Ball, it would be nice to know what the heck it is.

Thanks.

:cool:

I have been on over 22 cruises, two with Holland, but I have never heard of a Black & White Ball. What in the heck is this?

One of the formal evenings will be designated for the B&W Ball. That night there will be black and white decorations in the dining room and the Ball venue. After late dinner, in either the Crow's Nest or main show lounge there will be a festive dance. The Captian and other officers will arrive in their dress uniforms. They will dance, and there will be little prizes for various games.

Ladies have men to dance with! :) They even get a few "ladies choice" dances.

People usually dress in some arrangement of black and/or white to keep with the theme.

It's a fun evening.

Thank you!!!

Just as you said!

We have 3 Formals and 11 Smart Casuals.

Archived