Cabin 6001 On Insignia

mashat

Has anyone ever been in cabin 6001? (this is a cabin right in the front between two suites) Any negatives? We are on the Insignia Athens to Rome Sept 1-st 2008. We also booked the CABANA for the whole cruise. Sort of debating if we actually will benefit much from the cabana as opposed to the balcony. Thanks.

Alla and Frank :confused:

Has anyone ever been in cabin 6001? We also booked the CABANA for the whole cruise. Sort of debating if we actually will benefit much from the cabana as opposed to the balcony. Thanks.Alla and Frank :confused:

Our friends had that cabin. We visited them a couple of times. If I had that cabin, I wouldn't book a cabana.

Probably because the cabana and your balcony will have exactly the same view, except that the cabana will be 5 decks higher. However, you might want the cabana, with its full height glass front, to shield you from the wind, which will be strong on your balcony while the ship is under way. Also, the cabana's glass windshield goes to the floor, allowing more of a view than you will get from your balcony, which has a steel "fence" up to the height of the handrail, blocking much of your view when sitting on the balcony.

We had a Vista Suite a few years ago on 6 and the view was wonderful. Just going up the river to Siagon was worth the little bit:) noise in the morning. Really not too much motion in the front to bother us.

I'm going to be in 6001 on Regatta in three weeks, I'll give you a full report when I get back.

I'm not worried about noise or movement, but StanandJim posted a nice huge photo of the bow here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=778244&page=3

It looks like those rooms have zero cover overhead, so no protection from sun, rain or the bridge guys looking down. No more coffee in my nighty in the mornings!

Jana

;)

I'm going to be in 6001 on Regatta in three weeks, I'll give you a full report when I get back.

I'm not worried about noise or movement, but StanandJim posted a nice huge photo of the bow here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=778244&page=3

It looks like those rooms have zero cover overhead, so no protection from sun, rain or the bridge guys looking down. No more coffee in my nighty in the mornings!

Jana

Thanks Jana. I also under the impression that the balcony of this cabin does not have the overhang. I called my agent , she contacted the OCEANIA and they told her that there is a partial overhang. I guess very soon you will know for sure.

Talk to you soon, Alla :D :confused:

;)

Thanks Jana. I also under the impression that the balcony of this cabin does not have the overhang. I called my agent , she contacted the OCEANIA and they told her that there is a partial overhang. I guess very soon you will know for sure.

Talk to you soon, Alla :D :confused:

Uh, yeah, Alla. If you look carefully it looks like there is maybe 6" or so, not exactly what I would call "cover." Oh, and I was told that the curtains have to be closed at night. I don't think I'll like that. I hope the view is worth it!

Anyone with any experience with the overhang in those cabins? Oh, and on 6, does the bow bulkhead interfere with the view? Just curious!

Jana

Our friends had this cabin last summer in the Baltics. We all went there for the sail aways as the view was terrific. You do hear the chains when arriving and departing, but being able to view all the open bridges in St. Petersburg was wonderful. We could not open he door the afternoon we hit the North Sea due to wave spray hitting the window. Pros and cons no doubt, but they said they would do it again.

WOW! Thanks! That's fabulous info.

Do you remember if there was any cover? I like that there will be a lot of light, it's one thing I do miss in a regular balcony room with an overhang, but I'd like a wee bit of cover. Do you remember?

Thanks again!

Jana

Thanks everybody,

Now we are confused even more whether or not to cancel the cabana which we booked for the whole cruise. If there is a sun there alla the time I doubt that we will spend much time there.

Alla and Frank:confused:

:(

Uh, yeah, Alla. If you look carefully it looks like there is maybe 6" or so, not exactly what I would call "cover." Oh, and I was told that the curtains have to be closed at night. I don't think I'll like that. I hope the view is worth it!

Anyone with any experience with the overhang in those cabins? Oh, and on 6, does the bow bulkhead interfere with the view? Just curious!

Jana

Hi Jana,

Do you have any idea why the curtains have to be closed at night. We like to sleep with the balcony door open, smell the air and listen to the waves. What a shame if you are NOT ALLOWED to do this. Our travel agent did not tell us about the overhang or the curtains rule when we were booking this cabin. Too bad.

Well, having cabana at this point sounds better and better.

:( :( :(

Alla and Frank

We were on deck 7, and looking over our balcony down to deck 6 we could only see the people in those cabins if they were standing at the rail, so fairly private IMO. The Bridge cannot see on to your balcony.

We were not told upfront about the curtains closed rule. We found out one night when we had them open and we received a phone call telling us to close them. They only said that the light bothers the Bridge officers.

We were on deck 7, and looking over our balcony down to deck 6 we could only see the people in those cabins if they were standing at the rail, so fairly private IMO. The Bridge cannot see on to your balcony.

We were not told upfront about the curtains closed rule. We found out one night when we had them open and we received a phone call telling us to close them. They only said that the light bothers the Bridge officers.

Thanks HOBES,

So if we have no lights in the cabin, it would be O.K. to leave the doors and the curtains open ?

:confused:

Thanks HOBES,

So if we have no lights in the cabin, it would be O.K. to leave the doors and the curtains open ?

:confused:

Yes. I asked the same question. No light at all. I also doubt that we can keep the doors open while underway though, I've heard that it gets really windy up there.

It's a unique locale and should be quite fun. If we don't like it, we can choose not to take it again on a future cruise!

Thanks for the info about not being able to see the balcony, Hobse, but if you look at the photo, it looks like the bridge window juts out and under... like part of the floor is glass as well. I've seen that before, and they definitely can see onto the balconies. I know someone who did a bridge visit on a Norwegian Cruise Line ship and was mortified to be able to see right down into her owner's suite balcony. Especially as she contemplated some of the things that the bridge folk might have seen!

Jana

So little hanky panky on the balcony is out of the question!?;) :p :o

I will report back. You'll get a complete overview and description, including the hanky-panky report!

Jana

I will report back. You'll get a complete overview and description, including the hanky-panky report!

Jana

Thanks,

Make sure it's detail oriented, my husband will appreciated.

Alla :) :) :)

Jana,

While on our balcony, I looked up to see if anyone in the bridge would be able to see down to us, and from what I could tell I would have to say no. They did not appear to have a line of sight down to the balcony, but can't be sure.

Do you have any idea why the curtains have to be closed at night. We like to sleep with the balcony door open, smell the air and listen to the waves. What a shame if you are NOT ALLOWED to do this. Our travel agent did not tell us about the overhang or the curtains rule when we were booking this cabin. Too bad.

Alla and Frank

Orchestrapal is right, those in the forward cabins are not asked to keep the drapes drawn in the evening on Oceania ships.

oceania_insignia.jpgThe verandahs, with their solid railings, must diffuse enough of the light to make navigation possible, because, on other (verandah-less) ships we've sailed on (Rotterdam V comes to mind), in the bow cabins we had to close heavy wooden shutters over the windows at dusk.

rotterdamv.jpg

As with all air conditioned spaces, however, it is not recommended that you leave the verandah doors open in ANY cabin. The excess humidity can make surfaces slick and cause all manner of mold and spores that can make you sick.

Better safe than sorry!

We have done 6 cruises in the Vista Suites and were NEVER told to keep our drapes closed.:confused:

Orchestrapal is right, those in the forward cabins are not asked to keep the drapes drawn in the evening on Oceania ships.

Well, that is great to know because I was told by someone in the corporate offices that I would have to keep the drapes closed after dark and I specifically asked about just one little light on while I read in bed.

Jana,

While on our balcony, I looked up to see if anyone in the bridge would be able to see down to us, and from what I could tell I would have to say no. They did not appear to have a line of sight down to the balcony, but can't be sure.

That's even better. I have no hany-panky planned but I sure would like to have my coffee out there without getting dressed for the occasion!

Jana

Archived