On Board Credit "Adjustment"?

darkenstormy

I'm booked on the Caribbean Princess this August out of NYC. I was looking at my booking summary this morning on the Princess site, and I noticed an "On Board Credit Adj" of $-4.64/pp. Final payment for this cruise had already been made in full.

I called Princess for an explanation and was told that the charge was due to a tax increase for the port of San Juan. I asked if "final payment" meant anything anymore!

I asked to speak to a customer service rep and offered the opinion that Princess should absorb this increase on those bookings for which final payment has been received. They said that nothing could be done.

Is this common? It isn't the amount but the principle of the thing that frosts me.:mad:

It is common...if port charges or taxes increase or decrease it will be reflected.

Yes, this is becoming quite common anymore as ports increase fees. Best to just get over it absorb the added fee as there is nothing you can do about it. Sorry! :(

Same thing happened to us for our cruise out of Southampton, although it was only $1.38. At first, I thought the same as the OP on why didn't they just absorb the cost, but when you're talking 2,000 - 3,000 people per ship, for multiple sailings and port visits, that can easily grow into tens of thousands of dollars. After I realized that, I had no problem with the increase.

Under General Info in any brohcure, it states under "Fares, Other Changes and Schedules Subject to Change"...(last line): "Princess reserves the right to collect any fare increase in effect at the time of sailing, even if the fare has already been paid in full"

To me, before final payment, anything could happen. Could go up, could go down. I'm fine with that. After final payment it should be different. If things go down, I'd be out of luck. If they went up, I'd have some protection. I guess that's not the case.

The joke will be on all those who rush to make final payment long before it's due in order to lock in things like airfare quotes. It would make me pretty hesitant to do that.

Why? We're talking relative pennies here... this has nothing to do with your cruise fare, it's just taxes, etc. charged to the cruise line by the ports.

As previous posters said, it can go down as well (as has happened to me).. I've NEVER heard of it being a significant amount, and it doesn't happen that frequently. Not a big deal, no reason to be hestitant about anything.

To me, before final payment, anything could happen. Could go up, could go down. I'm fine with that. After final payment it should be different. If things go down, I'd be out of luck. If they went up, I'd have some protection. I guess that's not the case.

The joke will be on all those who rush to make final payment long before it's due in order to lock in things like airfare quotes. It would make me pretty hesitant to do that.

Read your cruise contract fine print and dont make assumption per your own interpretation of the FINAL. Certain items are subject to change. What is final, is your cruise fare, which is independent from the port charge, government tax and fees, though to us cruisers, they are all the same, money out from our pockets. However, in all practical and legal senses, they are different items subject to the contract languages.

Besides, in all cases we have experienced tax up or down, they are very minimal, ranging from less than 2 bucks to 6 or 7 bucks. I could not imagine to spend time to call Princess for such when it is very obvious that is due to government fee / tax changes, and the passenger has to accept it per the contract.

Oh yeah, it works both ways too. On our April Emerald transatlantic, we were first charged the increase of tax and then Princess realised it overcharged by 1.46 and the 1.46 went back to our shipboard account.

Why? We're talking relative pennies here....

...as I mentioned, the amount is not the point. Whether the Passage Contract allows it or not, I think it's petty on their part to pass the increase along as opposed to absorbing it themselves.

Not a big deal, no reason to be hestitant about anything.

Earlier today I was reading other threads in the Princess forum where folks were considering making "final payment" more than a year before it was due because they wanted to "lock in" their airfare costs. If Princess will pass along a small charge like this, do you really think these people are "locking in" anything? I would indeed hesitate giving them my money any earlier than necessary.

As stated before by another poster $4.63 X 3000 passengers = about 14000.00...I don't think it's petty for them to pass it along at all.....it is stated all over the place that things can change, the fine print is there for a reason. I'm sorry you feel singled out but you are not.

100% agree, final should mean final! :D

...as I mentioned, the amount is not the point. Whether the Passage Contract allows it or not, I think it's petty on their part to pass the increase along as opposed to absorbing it themselves.

A contract is a contract - a legally enforceable document.

You can choose not to be abided by the contract, that means you can choose not to buy the cruise.

As for those who pay a year in advance in hope to lock in the air - personally I think it is NOT a smart move because no one can predict what oil price might be a year from now on one hand, on the other hand, why let Princess use your money free of interest? For the amount you pay a year in advance, you can easily find a 4% or more yield 12 month CD which could earn interest to offset a good part of the airfare difference, just my opinion.

We haven't made final payment yet. (holding on to collect ALL that interest :p ) But, our TA gave us the amount due, and the taxes went down by over $2. Boy, that will buy me 1/3 of a drink!!

...as I mentioned, the amount is not the point. Whether the Passage Contract allows it or not, I think it's petty on their part to pass the increase along as opposed to absorbing it themselves. .

This might be petty (~$4) but their next increase may not. The contract allows it so why are you complaining.

...Earlier today I was reading other threads in the Princess forum where folks were considering making "final payment" more than a year before it was due because they wanted to "lock in" their airfare costs. If Princess will pass along a small charge like this, do you really think these people are "locking in" anything? I would indeed hesitate giving them my money any earlier than necessary.

They will lock and have to lock in what is in the contract. If you are that concerned read your contract so you will know what increases they can collect on....... instead of giving us this.... "if they do it to me they'll do it to you".

100% agree, final should mean final! :D

I agree as well, but probably would just pay it as I have found somethings are just not worth the battle, even if it is for principle.

It is common...if port charges or taxes increase or decrease it will be reflected.

May we also assume, then, that it would work the other way, i.e. in the event of missing one or more ports of call due to weather or other circumstances, that those port charges would be refunded?

Is this common? It isn't the amount but the principle of the thing that frosts me.:mad:
Tax increases are ALWAYS passed on to the consumer no matter what the business is, and regardless of the timing.

May we also assume, then, that it would work the other way, i.e. in the event of missing one or more ports of call due to weather or other circumstances, that those port charges would be refunded?
Yes.

I'm booked on the Caribbean Princess this August out of NYC. I was looking at my booking summary this morning on the Princess site, and I noticed an "On Board Credit Adj" of $-4.64/pp. Final payment for this cruise had already been made in full.

I called Princess for an explanation and was told that the charge was due to a tax increase for the port of San Juan. I asked if "final payment" meant anything anymore!

I asked to speak to a customer service rep and offered the opinion that Princess should absorb this increase on those bookings for which final payment has been received. They said that nothing could be done.

Read the contract!! -- and the Terms and Conditions!! All cruiselines can pass additional port taxes and fees along to the passengers at any time. They aren't going to absorb it.

If you are upset at anyone, try the Port Authority of New York who put the tax in place. Why would you think the cruise line would absorb it.

Your "frost" is misplaced.

Again, under general info, no they are not responsible for a lost port of call or any money you may have lost due to the fact that you scheduled an 'event' and the ship did not call there....""All fares for cruises and cruisetours and/or air/sea packages or other charges as well as schedules, port calls, hours of arrival and departure and special programs are subject to change without prior notice. Princess shall not be required to refund any portion of fares or other charges nor make any other compensation under these circumstances. Accordingly, Princess is not responsible for the change or cancellation of any personally scheduled event because of alterations to the itinerary of any cruise or land tour."......as the above poster said, read the fine print, usually something you are disappointed about missing is no cause for recompense and this information is available in any brochure as well as the passage contract.

Archived