proof needed to justify resident discount

jmsnyc

There have been posts here at Cruise Critic from unhappy cruisers who were charged the difference at the pier between the resident and non-resident fares when they couldn't document their residency.

In the past there were TAs who were knowingly giving the discounts to customers who didn't qualify for them. The cruise lines clamped down on it, and it was the passengers who had to come up with the money or not cruise.

Not worth the risk to me, besides being dishonest. Although I did let the cute little girl behind the counter at Mc Donald's charge me for a senior coffee when I didn't qualify for it. I went home and dyed my hair after that. :D

Roz

I did call. They basically said drivers license or deed. If I had a utility bill addressede to me I would call again and ask but the point is kind of moot. I'm traveling too soon to be bothered.

It is an idea to keep for future though because Floridians usually do get fantastic resident cruise rates.

Again, I wasnt asking if it was ethical, if I was entitled or anything relating to that. So while I appreciate useful feedback, those comments are neither helpful nor are you my g'ma so with all due respect, I could give a rats a$$ what your thoughts are with respect to whether or not its right or wrong.

I simply asked what would be considered proof that the cruiselines would accept. So you keep your parenting to your own kids :D

There have been posts here at Cruise Critic from unhappy cruisers who were charged the difference at the pier between the resident and non-resident fares when they couldn't document their residency.

In the past there were TAs who were knowingly giving the discounts to customers who didn't qualify for them. The cruise lines clamped down on it, and it was the passengers who had to come up with the money or not cruise.

Not worth the risk to me, besides being dishonest. Although I did let the cute little girl behind the counter at Mc Donald's charge me for a senior coffee when I didn't qualify for it. I went home and dyed my hair after that. :D

Roz

No kidding, I recall a poster having to come up with an additional $600 for her family of four. No credit cards, etc. She was ticked! :eek:

###

Actually this was a very useful thread .. I directed my kids to it and said what do you think .. they said YOU ARE KIDDING .. and got thier teens to read if for a lesson in not all adults are ethical and that some don't care.

So I want to thank you for a real life lesson for some impressionable young people.

I did call. They basically said drivers license or deed. If I had a utility bill addressede to me I would call again and ask but the point is kind of moot. I'm traveling too soon to be bothered.

It is an idea to keep for future though because Floridians usually do get fantastic resident cruise rates.

Again, I wasnt asking if it was ethical, if I was entitled or anything relating to that. So while I appreciate useful feedback, those comments are neither helpful nor are you my g'ma so with all due respect, I could give a rats a$$ what your thoughts are with respect to whether or not its right or wrong.

I simply asked what would be considered proof that the cruiselines would accept. So you keep your parenting to your own kids :D

How much money are you talking about jms in New York City? I know a Caribbean cruise that I was on had a resident discount for NYC residents on an inside which was $50.00 off per person. Now the $100.00 for the cabin was not that much but you could probably get this much off (or in the form of OBC or pre-paid gratuities in the case of RCCL or Celebrity) by using an outside agent next time. I bring this up because in some cases the cabins are so cheap that a TA could not give the discount in addition to the residency discount, so you pay the same anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
Actually this was a very useful thread .. I directed my kids to it and said what do you think .. they said YOU ARE KIDDING .. and got thier teens to read if for a lesson in not all adults are ethical and that some don't care.

So I want to thank you for a real life lesson for some impressionable young people.

This is too funny. I really hope your kids get a better lesson on ethics than this. Cause its kind of pathetic - there are real ethical issues out there -that you need to teach your kids about, like cheating on your taxes or on your significant other -how many of you out there have done that??? and your preaching to me about the ethics of getting a cruise discount --- get a life :)

I have a house in Florida - so if you want to argue that since I do not live there 365 days year it is unethical that I considered getting a Florida resident discount - you should really consider a better use of your time - maybe go back to school for a course on ethics.

To close the matter, I am already booked and fyi I did not use the resident discount nor did I book with the cruise line that offered it. And believe me, it wasnt because I would have lost sleep over it =) Don't knock my ethics because I asked about a cruise discount that arguably I was entitled too. By doing that brings your own ethics into question.

There have been several threads in the past about the cruise lines and their enforcement of these resident, senior citizen, etc discounts. The cruise lines will demand proof at the pier that you are eligible and will definitely refuse to allow you on the ship. The on board purchases do not enter into it at all.

actually its my understanding they allow you on the ship after you pay the regular fare. certain TA's used whatever discount was available and the cruise lines particularly RC started checking. Sometimes they do check and sometimes I am sure they don't....like AAA at check in at hotels..

I am a TA and have seen many cases of people stating they are a resident who relaly are not...they have been surprised at check in having to pay the difference...All documents sent will state that it is a residency discount and ID (drivers license or deed) is needed.

actually its my understanding they allow you on the ship after you pay the regular fare. certain TA's used whatever discount was available and the cruise lines particularly RC started checking. Sometimes they do check and sometimes I am sure they don't....like AAA at check in at hotels..

Thanks for your reply. I totally agree.

And by the way, I hope you would never even think of using a AAA discount if you are not a AAA member because according to many posters on this thread it would be sure to guarantee eternal damnation of your soul :D (JOKE)

It's true that residents of Florida get special rates. It has been that way for many, many years. When the whole cruise industry changed back in the mid-80's and insisted travel agencies could no longer discount their product, the state of Florida grandfathered the resident policy into the new rules.

Occassionally, they will run special "residency" prices for different states but, basically, only Florida has this program year round. Before security became so very tight pre 9/11, Florida residents could standby at the pier for empty cabins and board at a greatly reduced rate....sometimes for merely port taxes. There is a reason for this which is mostly political and has to do with the many Florida ports and the contracts cruise ships have with the cities and areas where their ports exist. It's not there just because Floridians are prettier that the rest of us.

Many have tried to get over on the system. Many travel agents have sold resident rates to those who are not entitled. These people have been met with surprise upon checkin when they learn that they have to pony up several hundred dollars or be denied boarding.

I wonder why someone would post such a question if there weren't some reasoning behind it. You admit in subsequent posts to gathering info needed to do it. So, don't preach to those who are suspect of your intentions.

Good luck in your efforts....but have plenty of cash or a credit card when you checkin...you'll need it.

Always concerned about the ships bottom line here!! :D

Trust me, they're making a killing booze, and I have no prob trying to save money when onboard any way I can, and I've never lost any sleep over it.

On another thread I posted that my bf's bar bill came to $1000 on a 5 day last month...He didn't drink any more than he normally does, and he certainly doesn't spend a grand a week on drink at home.

So if we've got to pay that kind of bar tab, then by God I want that resident discount!! LOL :D

I provide further evidence of your intentions, in your own words......:rolleyes:

If YOU and not another family member owns the house about which you speak, why do you not receive the real estate tax bill and utility bills etc?

Or is that mom or dad or aunt or brother or someone else owns this house and you are trying to imply it is yours so you can get the discount?

Where we live all bills such as I've mentioned go to the owner.

If you had such a real estate or utility bill, you probably would be able to make a reasonable case you are at least a part time resident. But it appear you come and go and maybe visit now and then.

Yes?

1. G'Ma. Im not preaching to anyone. People are preaching to me how unethical it is. I just asked what kind of docuiments they require. Because I legitametly have property in Florida - getting the documents is not an issue.

2. Sail7Seas - with all due respect I do not have to justify whether I am or am not entitled to the discount to you or anyone else on this board. Which member of my family owns what property where is franky none of your business. Again, I just asked what kind of docuiments they require. Because I legitametly have property in Florida - getting the documents is not an issue. I did not ask for a lesson on ethics or morality. If I want that I will ask my priest.

3. I am already booked and fyi I did not use the resident discount nor did I book with the cruise line that offered it. And believe me, it wasnt because I would have lost sleep over it =)

So this thread should be closed. Because the point is moot and it is really becoming an unproductive useless discussion.

There have been several threads in the past about the cruise lines and their enforcement of these resident, senior citizen, etc discounts. The cruise lines will demand proof at the pier that you are eligible and will definitely refuse to allow you on the ship. The on board purchases do not enter into it at all.

When Wrona & I sailed on the Jewel of the Seas (Feb 07) we had a residency discount (I forget whether it was her state or mine) and neither of us were asked to show proof. And at least on RCCL (from their own website), they won't refuse to allow you on the ship, they will require you to pay the undiscounted amount if you want to get on the ship.

On another thread I posted that my bf's bar bill came to $1000 on a 5 day last month...He didn't drink any more than he normally does, and he certainly doesn't spend a grand a week on drink at home.

Let's see, even at $10/drink (which is a very high estimate), $1000 = 100 drinks, divided by 5 days equals :eek: 20 drinks a day! :eek:

Hi,

I noticed RCC has some good residents for Floridians. The agent said I either needed a driver's license or a deed. My parents do have a house in Fla but my name is not on the deed nor do I have a driver's license. Do you know if they will accept post office processed mail or anything else?

Do they even check ?

It sounds like not even worth the hassle.

1. G'Ma. Im not preaching to anyone. People are preaching to me how unethical it is. I just asked what kind of docuiments they require. Because I legitametly have property in Florida - getting the documents is not an issue.

2. Sail7Seas - with all due respect I do not have to justify whether I am or am not entitled to the discount to you or anyone else on this board. Which member of my family owns what property where is franky none of your business. Again, I just asked what kind of docuiments they require. Because I legitametly have property in Florida - getting the documents is not an issue. I did not ask for a lesson on ethics or morality. If I want that I will ask my priest.

3. I am already booked and fyi I did not use the resident discount nor did I book with the cruise line that offered it. And believe me, it wasnt because I would have lost sleep over it =)

So this thread should be closed. Because the point is moot and it is really becoming an unproductive useless discussion.

No further comment from me.

Guest carlogesualdo

So, is it just Florida that gets a residency discount? I wonder about that every time I get asked what state I'm from when I look at rates. I might need to convince DH to move to Florida in order to support my cruising habit.

From time to time, we have seen regional discounts offered. Sometimes it is for people who live in New England, another time for California residents. Through the years, we have gotten a discount occassionaly for residency reasons.

So, is it just Florida that gets a residency discount? I wonder about that every time I get asked what state I'm from when I look at rates. I might need to convince DH to move to Florida in order to support my cruising habit.

For our Jewel of the Seas in 2/07, sailing out of Ft Lauderdale, Wrona & I got a really good residency discount (actually, we saw the price drop 3 times and capitalized on all of them!). Each time, I had input my state (CT), seen the drop, and e-mailed her (she was the primary person on the reservation, plus a lot more experienced than I in dealing with RCCL and C&A). All three times, the person she ended up talking to said there *wasn't* a discount for CT (never mind that I'd seen it on their website) but when she asked about her state (Ark), there WAS!!

I'm not sure what their logic is for offering discounts, but we sure had fun with that one!

Archived