Am I screwed?

Hey everyone. I just booked a cruise yesterday for my boyfriend and I, and now we have had a downfall and I do not think I want him going with me. Is it possible for me to change his name to someone elses or did I mess up by not getting insurance?? I'm a broke 21 year old college student and I never take out the insurance because $150 extra is a lot to me. On top of all that I paid for the whole thing as his college graduation present!! Now it looks like I spent $1500 (includes airfair and hotel) to go on a Bahamas cruise by myself!! The cruise is on August 18th and I booked through travelocity. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!!

No you can change it... Call the Cruise line.. Most only charge 50.00 for a name change... Just had to do it on our June Cruise... Carnival lets you change up to 7 days sailing...

Good luck

Hey everyone. I just booked a cruise yesterday for my boyfriend and I, and now we have had a downfall and I do not think I want him going with me. Is it possible for me to change his name to someone elses or did I mess up by not getting insurance?? I'm a broke 21 year old college student and I never take out the insurance because $150 extra is a lot to me. On top of all that I paid for the whole thing as his college graduation present!! Now it looks like I spent $1500 (includes airfair and hotel) to go on a Bahamas cruise by myself!! The cruise is on August 18th and I booked through travelocity. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!!

It should not be a problem to change the name for the cruise I have no idea about the Air maybe someone else will know.

Bring a friend have a blast :)

You can go by yourself if you want, My Daughter booked a balcony for herself,just call whoever you booked with and let them know to take ex off, and if you want put someone else on or go by yourself and enjoy, Insurance covers cancelled cruises or other factors, Like I stated call your TA, Or the cruiseline and tell them whats up, youve paid for the cruise you can take whoever you want as long as you change it with your TA, Or Cruiseline, good luck and Enjoy your cruise it's his loss not yours and dont worry about it;) Theres a whole lot more fish in the sea!!: get a refund or have the ticket changed if someones going with you to their name,but do this Quickly, how soon is your cruise??! p :D .

You have to call Travelocity.

Names cannot be changed on the air ticket. But you can get a credit for the air which you can use at another time.

Name will have to be changed at the cruiselne by Travelocity. You cannot call the cruiseline yourself.

Always pay the extra for the unsurance. It might seem like a lot, but think how much more your medical expenses could be if you get hurt on the cruise or during a shore outing! Your own insurance will (more than likely) NOT cover you outside the US.

That is the best bit of advice I can give a young, 21 year old as she sets out on a life-time of travel experiences. Please, take that insurane seriously.

Chicago

You can do a name change on the cruise tix, but not on the airline tix. As far as credit for the airline tix goes he's the one thats gonna be able to use at a later date it's in his name and they don't allow name changes ever. I went through this with my sons girl, but I had her pay for the airline tix when all was said and done and he took a friend on the cruise. Good Luck and try to get him to pay for the air tix.

We did get our airline changed... was to be 100.00 (midwest)

but my DH used the ole' Privacy thing and the lady changed it for FREE !!! Carnival charge 50.00 ... I thought it was a fair deal.

Call the airlines...good luck

I guess I could look this up with my own insurance policy, but will insurance cover her costs due to a broken relationship? Just wondering.

As has been stated, you can get the name changed...and since it was only 24 hours ago, I would contact Travelocity as soon as possible. Take a family member or another friend. Even if you go alone, a 21 year old should have no trouble having a great time on a cruise. You will meet alot of people on the ship and at the ports of call.

Have fun...happy cruising!:D

Always pay the extra for the unsurance. It might seem like a lot, but think how much more your medical expenses could be if you get hurt on the cruise or during a shore outing! Your own insurance will (more than likely) NOT cover you outside the US.

That is the best bit of advice I can give a young, 21 year old as she sets out on a life-time of travel experiences. Please, take that insurane seriously.

I completely agree with the advice to always get insurance. Medical expenses outside of the country could bankrupt you if you don't have coverage; however, the OP was beating herself up for not getting insurance. A "downfall" with her boyfriend would not be a covered reason for a cancellation for her to get her money back.

Like others have said you should be able to change it. Not sure if Insurance covers that (probably not) but again you can probably still get insurance from an outside vendor. I know with a tight budget insurance is difficult sometimes but you should try to get it. DD is very correct. $150 is worth it to protect your future and I have read medical bills are one of the main causes of bankruptcies. Better to find out now that you don't want to go with him than when you actually get on the ship.

GOOD LUCK

I didnt read every ones suggestions, so someone may have already said this.. but.. my suggestion is to find a friend who would be willing to go by paying you a couple of hundred for the cruise and by their own airfare. That shouldnt be too hard to find.. OR.. since you are already out the money, maybe invite a good friend to go and just ask them to pay the name change charge.

As far as the airfare, I think the best you will be able to get is a credit for future travel. Who ever's credit card booked the fare is the actual owner of the ticket, I believe.

Good luck. I am sure you wont have too much trouble finding someone to go with.

If you loved him enough yesterday to book the cruise, and then had a fight, wait a day or two before making any changes.

You would feel even worse if you took the crusie away, only to get back together.

It would not fall under "lost baggage". Be glad it happened now so that you have time to make changes and to get over the relationship. Keep a positive attitude and all will be fine for you. Enjoy your cruise.

You can also put trip insurance through http://www.insuremytrip.com I have seen travel insurance go from $14 all the way up to $90 for the same cruise.

Dave

I know insurance is a good thing, but some people talk like you MUST get it and are crazy not to have it.

Insurance is a gamble. You are betting certain number of dollar$ that something will happen. The insurance company is betting it will not. Guess which one is making money selling insurance?

Did you know that 45 million Americans have no health insurance? Don't they know that one case of cancer or heart problems could bankrupt them? It is an expense and a risk. You have to decide what you are going to do with your money. I always wonder why so many more people take out cruise insurance, but then do other risky things in their life.

Yes, insurance is a good idea, but surely not a must.

And of course in this situation, it would been of ZERO VALUE.

It's free to change names with NCL. I changed my passenger the day before I left for my last cruise.

Well, that's rockin' good news!! Way to go NCL!!

Have a blast on your cruise.. go with a girlfriend and meet a NEW GUY! I'll add to the previous poster's comment, "There are more fish to fry, too!!" :P

Archived