Will we be judged?

My husband and I booked a JS on Sovereign for the August 1 sailing. We called to make the reservation and we were told that we go the last JS for that sailing, we found out this week that the cabin we are booked into a handicapped cabin. Do you think people will be mad at us for having this room and not being handicapped?

My husband and I booked a JS on Sovereign for the August 1 sailing. We called to make the reservation and we were told that we go the last JS for that sailing, we found out this week that the cabin we are booked into a handicapped cabin. Do you think people will be mad at us for having this room and not being handicapped?

How will anyone know? Are you planning on telling everyone you meet on the cruise?

Don't worry. If that cabin is needed, before you set sail, for a handicapped person you will be reassigned to a new cabin. Hopefully it will be a Grand Suite. :p As far as I know, and I don't know everything, you can be upgraded but I never heard of anyone being downgraded.

How would anyone know if you didn't post it here? :confused:

People will know that you are in a handicapped room because the doors are twice as wide as the regular doors. Being right next the the elevators people will see us coming and going out the big doors and I do believe they are marked as handicapped rooms on the outside.

Quite honestly, I've never even noticed this on a ship! I wouldn't even give it a thought.

We were assigned a handicap room once on Amtrack, I think because we had a two month old with us. The room was twice as big as the others. Is your JS different from the others as far a size, shower, bed set up?

We stayed in a hotel once in Handicap room. The shower had a seat in it and the toilet was lower.

We were assigned a handicap room once on Amtrack, I think because we had a two month old with us. The room was twice as big as the others. Is your JS different from the others as far a size, shower, bed set up?

We stayed in a hotel once in Handicap room. The shower had a seat in it and the toilet was lower.

The cabin is almost twice a big as a regular JS and has a large shower and no tub like most JS.

Even if they did see you coming or going from the room, how would they know that there is not SOMEONE in the room who is handicapped? I don't believe EVERYONE in the room has to be handicapped.

I wouldn't feel particularly guilty about it anyway. Its not like you told RCI that you were handicapped and they gave yout room under false pretenses.

My husband and I were given a handicapped-accessible balcony room on our last cruise through no request of ours. There was no label or plaque on the stateroom door, nor was there any indication that it was a special room--it was just a bit bigger to accommodate a wheelchair. I don't think anyone's going to notice.

Don't worry. If that cabin is needed, before you set sail, for a handicapped person you will be reassigned to a new cabin. Hopefully it will be a Grand Suite. :p As far as I know, and I don't know everything, you can be upgraded but I never heard of anyone being downgraded.

Could be a situation the upgrade fairy may visit for.

If they assigned you this room, who cares???? If someone who really needs it books, either they'll upgrade you, or the other folks waited too late to book and there are no handicapped rooms avail. At any rate, it's not your problem at all!

I just want to add a thought to this, I have to have a HC room and my disability cant be seen by anyone. I broke my back and it healed wrong and now I will forever have to have a special bed to sleep in that takes all pressure off my spine when I sleep. It can only fit in a HC room. When I walk out the door I look like everyone else. Unless they peek in and see the bed, how would they know? So how will anyone know whether you need that room or not? I actually need one and it doesnt bother me in the least that you are in one too. I think it is the way they do things, just book the room and enjoy!:)

You dont have a thing to worry about!

Handicapped rooms are made available if a handicapped person needs to book them. People who actively try to book a handicapped room have to prove that they actually have a disability.

The fact that you got yours so "last minute" means that RCCL held this room out in case a handicapped person needed it. If you end up sailing in this room it is because no handicapped person needed the room.

Also, realize that, if a handicapped person does want to sail, and it is reasonable, RCCL could move you to another JS and give your handicapped room to the handicapped person. If this scenario were to happen, there is also a good chance that you would get UPGRADED!!!! :D

At the very least, ENJOY your handicapped room. These rooms are WAY HUGE, much bigger than a typical JS. they have to be to accommodate a wheelchair. You are going to be SO SPOILED!

Happy Sailing!

We were placed in a handicap stateroom on the SOS as a last minute cruise and the room size was the same as any other JS. It was obvious that the room had been retrofitted as a handicap accessible room. Due to the enlargement of the bathroom, the bed had only one nightstand and the person nearest to the balcony door all but had to crawl from the foot of the bed. Initially it had one "easy" chair in the room but the room stewart found another one that fit in. Since the opening to the balcony was next to the bed it was not a straight walk out to the balcony. The bath room is basically a large shower with a shower curtain that encloses most of the room. Drain in the middle of the entire floor, small mirror and sink and handicapped toilet. I do not mean to sound that I am anti accessible rooms but you should be aware it will cause a slight adjustment to.

We had not checked the room out before we sailed and were very surprised. We went to guest relations and volunteered to switch if some one wanted the room and was told that they would switch us but it would be a port hole stateroom. How could we keep up our membership in the Balcony Club with just a port hole. The last night we talked to the people next to our JS and found out that they had an elderly father in a wheelchair and would have loved to switch.

There was no sign on the door.

We were placed in a handicap stateroom on the SOS as a last minute cruise and the room size was the same as any other JS. It was obvious that the room had been retrofitted as a handicap accessible room. Due to the enlargement of the bathroom, the bed had only one nightstand and the person nearest to the balcony door all but had to crawl from the foot of the bed.

I was in a HC JS cabin in January with my mom who is in a wheelchair. The cabin was definitely not any bigger than the regular JS. We were constantly tripping (rolling?) over each other. We had #1550. The layout was cramped and the shower did not drain properly (no tub). We had to put a towel around the bathroom door to make sure that water did not run into the room. Maintenance looked at it, but whatever he did seemed to do nothing to improve the situation. We were glad it was only 3 days because that cabin is not really big enough for a handicapped person for a long cruise.

If you have cabin 1550 and get Betty for your steward, she is FABULOUS!!!!!

What day/time are you giving tours of your cabin? I'll be sure to stop by. Haven't you ever ended up with a hotel room with a handicapped bathroom? Have you ever walked up the handicapped ramp somewhere. Have you ever used the handicapped stall? Accessibility is for everyone.

What day/time are you giving tours of your cabin? I'll be sure to stop by. Haven't you ever ended up with a hotel room with a handicapped bathroom? Have you ever walked up the handicapped ramp somewhere. Have you ever used the handicapped stall? Accessibility is for everyone.

With the exception of a disabled parking spot, but that is a different subject for a different time.:)

Just wondering if you've posted this question on the handicapped boards? It would be their opinions that matter the most because they have the most experience with accessible cabins being occupied by others.

We had the unfortunate experience of being booked into a handicapped accessbile cabin many years ago. It was unfortunate because the room had been flooded with water whitch had soaked into the carpet. There was a very large circular-shaped pool in our room (not salt-water :). It took two days before we were finally given another room and it was a five-day cruise (very stressful).

I prefer a regular cabin without smelly/messy water in the carpet!

Hopefully, you won't have the same experience as we did!

Karen in Kentucky

Archived