Destiny disappointment!

patches12

I just got back from a Destiny cruise, and I was a little disappointed. Kids were running around in the halls screaming and playing hide-and-go seek. No parents around! They pushed all the elevator buttons then ran out. They left the pool dripping wet...no towels....wearing wet, squishy water shoes into the halls and elevators. When we got in the elevator, I slid and almost fell. Again, no parents near. (For anyone who took boys with them on the Destiny...they were on deck 4.)

As I said, my first cruise and I was so disappointed. It didn't ruin my cruise or anything. I just was so looking forward to a "nice" vacation. I felt like I was at Six Flags or Disney World with all those kids running around.

For those of you with kids, I meant kids running and chasing each other without parents keeping an eye on them. I saw many wonderfully behaved children; and I was very impressed with their excellent table manners and controlled behavior.

The food was not consistent. Some nights excellent and some nights just okay. We waited in long lines to get food on the Lido deck. Biggest disappointment was that we didn't get to eat lunch on most days. They started serving lunch at 12:00 and we had to be on the pier by 12:00 or 12:15. I think Carnival should start serving lunch at 11:30. Why do they serve breakfast so late during the day? Couldn't they still offer breakfast to some at the grill and serve lunch at the sun & sea restaurant?

The highlight of our cruise was talking to our waiter every night. He was a great young man with a great sense of humor.

I was also disappointed in what people wore to the cruise elegant nights. Flip flops,shorts, etc. I felt so over-dressed with a cocktail dress.

Maybe I should try a different Carnival ship????

The Destiny gets alot of reviews like this one, if its not the kids its the passengers from the islands, as for trying another Carnival ship, try the Valor or Freedom out of Miami or the Spirit out of San Diego.

Fred

Sorry your cruise on the Destiny was not what you had hoped. We went the first week of May and had a great time. I will agree with you about the consistency of the food. I was on the Holiday the week before our Destiny cruise and the food was a whole lot better.

We were lucky on our cruise and didn't have a whole lot of kids. My personal opinion of what should be done with these little brats (short of throwing them overboard-a girl can dream) is to lock them all in a room until their drunk and/or oblivious parents finally decide to look for them. Give the parents a choice-get put off the ship at the next port or be handcuffed to your little darling the rest of the cruise.

I enjoyed my Detiny cruise....alot.

But, JMO, I think this kind of behavior happens more in the summer while school is out. Which is why I don't cruise in summer or school holidays.

But definately try a different ship. I really, really like Valor.

I feel for you that you came away from your first cruise disappointed, but don't give up if you liked cruising. I think if you cruise a different time of year when most schools are in session you will have a different experience (as far as kids running around, etc.). DH and I have two children that cruise with us, and we choose to cruise during either October or Feb./early March. I can't stand being around kids whose parents think a vacation means vacationing from parenting, so I cruise when there are typically fewer children. As far as the food, it is subjective. If you decide to cruise again, at least you know what you liked and did not like.

You are right....best form of birth control is Chucky Cheese for 3 hours.:D

Sadly, I teach 4th grade so I can only go on a cruise when "the little darlings" are out of school. Some of the rudest people were on that ship! I think if I take a cruise ship from Florida, Texas, or California, I would have a better time. Somewhere on this forum it said that Carnival was the Wal-Mart of the cruise industry....

I will try other ships next time. Wish I could go during the winter when kids are in school. You know, if everyone can afford a cruise for themselves AND their kids, it takes some of the specialness out of it.

Are there ever any adults only cruises? Like maybe ages 40 or over???

never again will I go to Puerto Rico. What a nightmare getting on the ship (4.5 hours) off the ship (6.5 hours), and away from the airport (12 hours because all flights were way over-sold.)!

I know it will be better next time....Are cruises to Europe or around Europe any better? Do people still take their kids? What happened to adults needing to get away from the kids? :D

I *think* there are a lot less children on the Alaskan, European or more exotic Panama cruises.

I am sorry that unruly children ruined your trip. Well, not ruined but put a bit of a kink in it. I leave my kids at home as the thought of my children bothering someone else would ruin MY vacation.

Common courtesy was missing by the parents.

You aren't going to find much difference on any ship this time of year. Summer is family cruising time.

Try Alaska, Europe or cruising a different time of year.

I'm sorry you were disappointed in your first cruise. We were on the Destiny last December and did not experience any of the things you did. Maybe it's the time of year? Maybe it's just the luck of the draw? We only had to wait about 30ish minutes to get on the ship and we all really loved Old San Juan (especially all decked out for Christmas!). Our 'worst' experience with unruly kids was actually on our first cruise on the Miracle. Lots of teenagers thinking they were high and mighty causing a lot of grief for the other passengers. I don't think their parents were much better. But we still really enjoyed the miracle even with the problems with the teens.

I would definitely recommed that you try another ship. And I really do think the mix of passengers is somewhat the luck of the draw. Yes, there will be more children when school is out, but like you said, many are very well behaved and have good manners. Hopefully your next experience will be more positive. Did you at least enjoy the ports? The southern caribbean ports have been my favorite so far. :)

Sorry your cruise on the Destiny was not what you had hoped. We went the first week of May and had a great time. I will agree with you about the consistency of the food. I was on the Holiday the week before our Destiny cruise and the food was a whole lot better.

We were lucky on our cruise and didn't have a whole lot of kids. My personal opinion of what should be done with these little brats (short of throwing them overboard-a girl can dream) is to lock them all in a room until their drunk and/or oblivious parents finally decide to look for them. Give the parents a choice-get put off the ship at the next port or be handcuffed to your little darling the rest of the cruise.

Too darn funny . . . I loved it . . . :D

Kids spoil everything.I remember hearing that the best form of birth control is 3 hours at a chucky cheese.:D:D:D

I must be in a weird mood this evening but some of the posts about kids just tickles my funny bone. I'm a Mom . . . been there/done that and these posts bring back so many funny memories. I remember when my son was about six and decided to cut his own hair . . . his beautiul blonde hair. I was ready to lock him in his bedroom until he turned thirty. Kids will be kids. Happy to report that my son is now thirty-one (and he wasn't locked in his bedroom . . . :p ) and somehow we both made it . . . and happy to report . . . not at the expense of others on a cruise. He was fifteen before we took him on a cruise and he was a perfect gentleman. Just as he was when he was thirty and took me on a cruise last year (dressed in his military Dress Whites on formal night . . . he is now, by Act of Congress . . . an Officer and Gentleman) . . . tee hee!!!!!

You are right....best form of birth control is Chucky Cheese for 3 hours.:D

Sadly, I teach 4th grade so I can only go on a cruise when "the little darlings" are out of school. Some of the rudest people were on that ship! I think if I take a cruise ship from Florida, Texas, or California, I would have a better time. Somewhere on this forum it said that Carnival was the Wal-Mart of the cruise industry....

I will try other ships next time. Wish I could go during the winter when kids are in school. You know, if everyone can afford a cruise for themselves AND their kids, it takes some of the specialness out of it.

Are there ever any adults only cruises? Like maybe ages 40 or over???

never again will I go to Puerto Rico. What a nightmare getting on the ship (4.5 hours) off the ship (6.5 hours), and away from the airport (12 hours because all flights were way over-sold.)!

I know it will be better next time....Are cruises to Europe or around Europe any better? Do people still take their kids? What happened to adults needing to get away from the kids? :D

Somethings aren't worth repeating. That was uncalled for. I'm sure Carnival will not miss your future business!!

A teacher that dislikes kids that much glad my son wont go to where you teach.

I just got back from a Destiny cruise, and I was a little disappointed. Kids were running around in the halls screaming and playing hide-and-go seek. No parents around! They pushed all the elevator buttons then ran out. They left the pool dripping wet...no towels....wearing wet, squishy water shoes into the halls and elevators. When we got in the elevator, I slid and almost fell. Again, no parents near. (For anyone who took boys with them on the Destiny...they were on deck 4.)

As I said, my first cruise and I was so disappointed. It didn't ruin my cruise or anything. I just was so looking forward to a "nice" vacation. I felt like I was at Six Flags or Disney World with all those kids running around.

For those of you with kids, I meant kids running and chasing each other without parents keeping an eye on them. I saw many wonderfully behaved children; and I was very impressed with their excellent table manners and controlled behavior.

The food was not consistent. Some nights excellent and some nights just okay. We waited in long lines to get food on the Lido deck. Biggest disappointment was that we didn't get to eat lunch on most days. They started serving lunch at 12:00 and we had to be on the pier by 12:00 or 12:15. I think Carnival should start serving lunch at 11:30. Why do they serve breakfast so late during the day? Couldn't they still offer breakfast to some at the grill and serve lunch at the sun & sea restaurant?

The highlight of our cruise was talking to our waiter every night. He was a great young man with a great sense of humor.

I was also disappointed in what people wore to the cruise elegant nights. Flip flops,shorts, etc. I felt so over-dressed with a cocktail dress.

Its not the Ship its when you take a cruise! During vacation time will be lots of familly with kids....thats why I dont cruise from may-august...! and always have better prices....! I love the Destiny I been there few times and never had a problem with Kids or else...!

You are a teacher you should know kids are going to be kids. Give them a inch and they try for a mile:D

Not sure why Carnival doesn't have youth security. Problem solved.....

We sailed on Princess out of San Juan during the school holiday and never had a problem. Security was right on top of them.

Somethings aren't worth repeating. That was uncalled for. I'm sure Carnival will not miss your future business!!

She never said she didn't like kids - she is referring to parents who think that a cruise is a vacation from parenting.:rolleyes: After one Christmas, we agree with her & only cruise in the fall.:)

I've been on the Destiny three times. The most recent cruise was at the beginning of May. No trouble with kids. Then again, I would never vacation (criuise or other) when it's school vacation time LOL.

trollsign.gif

She never said she didn't like kids....she was complaining about UNRULY brats and IRRESPONSIBLE parents. YOUR comments are uncalled for.

Idiot parents are the reason we only cruise when school is in session whenever possible.

And sadly, it isn't just Carnival.

I would recommend Oceania. Since they don't have a kids program, there are less children onboard. And while they are some higher than Carnival....they aren't ridiculously expensive.

Also Alaska on Carnival would also be fine. When we cruised July 2005, there were only 150 kids onboard. Some ships in the summer can have 800 - 1,000.

Even if only 10% have airheads for parents...that is still 100 unruly kids.

Even if only 10% have airheads for parents...that is still 100 unruly kids.

Hey girl! :D

I never thought about it like that before -- that's scary! On our Miracle trip last summer out of NYC they said there were 800 kids on our trip. For the most part they were pretty good. Of course there was the occasional ice cream cone left in the elevator and plates there, but who's to say it wasn't an adult that did that??!!:p

Patches, I hear you with the unruly kid thing...nothing worse than having a bunch of out of control kids ruining a peaceful vacation. I searched Adult Cruises and here is one site I came up with that may interest you...perhaps you can find a summer one!

http://www.adultonlycruise.net/

We went on the Legend out of Tampa during Election Day week last November and there were very few children. And those who were there were well behaved.

We loved that cruise! I wouldn't discount Carnival altogether, but if summer is your only time, then it may not be a good fit. Since the prices are lower than the other cruiselines, and they have lots to offer kids, chances are there will be many of them on board. We love the casual and no "airs" feeling of Carnival, so will continue to sail them, but I would think twice before doing it in the summer.

Good luck!:)

I’m not sure when you were on the Destiny but we were on her a few weeks ago, June 22-29, and had the best time ever. This was my 3rd time on the Destiny, and the best. We ( myself, my sister and my best friend - 50 something) remarked about the lack of children on this cruise. Actually we have never come across a lot of children on the Destiny. One day at lunch there about 12 kids eating lunch with the Camp Carnival staff and they were very well behaved. I have heard other people complain about kids running amouk but I have never experienced that. And beleive me, I would notice - I work in an Elementary School all school year and can only cruise in the summer so I expected a lot of kids and was surprised when there were not very many of them. That may have a lot to do with the air fare to San Juan.

We ate dinner in the dining room every night and the food was delicious - I ate escargot, duck, lobster, caviar - stuff I don’t eat at home. I also didn’t see flip flops or shorts in the dining room, but then again, I wasn’t looking. I don’t care what other people wear. My vacation would never be compromised by someone wearing flip flops or shorts to dinner.

I’m sorry you were disappointed in your cruise - the lovely Caribbean and the wonderful islands and people on this cruise should have more than made up for a few things you didn’t like.

I do hope you cruise again, it's my favorite way to vacation.

We were on the Destiny for our 25th Anniversary so it was just the dh and myself in January - our first cruise also and we loved it so much we've booked another for March (spring break) so we can take the kids and my fathers family - We had a wonderful time on the Destiny out of San Juan - We are lucky this time we will be on the Triumph and San Juan is one of the ports so we will get to spend more time in that beautiful city.

Sorry it was so terrible but you can't blame a ship on the kids - that is the parents fault - you have to just let it roll off your back and think I'M ON A CRUISE!!! HOW LUCKY!! and just becareful next time for water in the walk ways.

Archived