Thalassotherapy Pool on Journey

kay0522

Has anyone used the thalassotherapy pool on Journey? We loved it on the Celebrity ships, and haven't been able to locate much information or the cost for the Azamara ships. Thanks for the help.

On the Quest, the T-Pool is in the front by the spa and is only accessible with a "pass". The pass is purchasable for $175 per couple for the whole cruise or for $17 per day per person. One can also use it for a short time before or after a paid spa treatment. I used it before my pedicure midway through the cruise and enjoyed it. I would then have been willing to buy a pass for the second week of the cruise but since they said it would still be $175, I felt uncomfortable with that and decided not to.

The pool is about 10-12 feet in diameter. If you lie back against a metal railing the jets will lift and massage you. We were told the temperature is kept at 110. However, I have a spa at home and I can tell you it was more like 98. It's a nice womb-like feeling, unlike the jacuzzis by the pool, which are kept at under 90 degrees and have all the jet action of an hour old glass of alka seltzer.

Oh, one more thing, when I was there two small (under 8) children were "using" the t-pool. When I inquired at the spa desk, I was told that it was ok since their parents were supervising.

--My_AZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It was $175/couple, $99/ single on the Panama Canal crossing. And it was PACKED. We didn't even bother to go midday because there were never chairs available. I finally got one of the spa women to remove somebody's belongings for me - at one point, the entire starboard side was occupied by books and towels without a person in sight.:mad:

Now, by 3:30 or so the crowds were mostly gone and it was very nice out there. The pool was never really warm - the US passengers wanted it hotter and the Swedish passengers (there were about half a dozen who used it regularly) liked it the way it was.

I haven't sailed on a Celebrity ship, so I don't know if they are salt or freshwater T-pools. This one was freshwater and had just a hint of chlorine in it. Not enough to trigger my usual reaction, but it was there.

Just returned from the Journey. Price was $175 per couple for the 16 night cruise, $99 for a single.

The pool was only hot once while we were there, and that was at 6pm. I noticed someone saying on this thread it was around 98 degrees. That is false, at least in our experience. It was around 85 degrees at 11am, and finally hit 100 or so by 6pm.

The spa staff told us it wouldn't be real hot in the morning because they drain and refill it daily, but they never told us it would be pool temperature most of the day.

We ended up getting a refund half way thru the trip as they had not only lied about the water temp, but also charged 18% service fee on top of the $175 and provided NO ADDITIONAL SERVICES. (We had booked it mainly to have a good viewing area for the Panama Canal, but friends said it was super hot out there AND the tinted windows made picture taking impossible. Glad we had gotten our refund already. What a waste of time.)

The steam room, locker room, and showers are available to all passengers, gratis.

As there are really no children on board, I see no need for a more "quiet place" to relax. The lounge chairs are the same as around the pool. The view was nice, but there was no regular bar service while at the Tpool.

(We had booked it mainly to have a good viewing area for the Panama Canal, but friends said it was super hot out there AND the tinted windows made picture taking impossible. Glad we had gotten our refund already. What a waste of time.)

We purchase the T-Pool pass on the Tahitian Princess (almost the exact same ship) for $200 per person; this was the Tahiti to Fort Lauderdale trip. So, it's much more reasonable on Azamara. The T-Pool was fantastic. So much so, that we did not even sit by the regular pool the whole trip. For the canal transit, we were up there all day. Yea, there were tinted windows, but the view was FANTASTIC from the top of the stairs that lead into the T-Pool..

We're considering a Mediterranean cruise on the Quest in September, hence the reason why I am lurking here!

We purchase the T-Pool pass on the Tahitian Princess (almost the exact same ship) for $200 per person; this was the Tahiti to Fort Lauderdale trip. So, it's much more reasonable on Azamara. The T-Pool was fantastic. So much so, that we did not even sit by the regular pool the whole trip. For the canal transit, we were up there all day. Yea, there were tinted windows, but the view was FANTASTIC from the top of the stairs that lead into the T-Pool..

We're considering a Mediterranean cruise on the Quest in September, hence the reason why I am lurking here!

We did the same thing going through the Canal (in the opposite direction). There were a number of people who hadn't purchased a pass up there, but the spa staff asked them to leave and then guarded the doors like rottweilers for the rest of the day. It was great viewing, and easy to take a picture by holding the camera up. With a digital, you can just keep snapping until you get it right.:)

Did Princess also add a gratuity for the use of the T-pool?

We were on the Quest for a Panama Canal trip in December 07, and on the Journey for the transatlantic this past December. Both times we bought a T-pool pass, but our experience was quite different.

On the Quest, the pool was cool the first day, but was properly warm thereafter. The door to the gym was kept locked, so the only access was through the spa. The Quest has nice wicker furniture in the T-pool area -- loungers, chairs, and even a sofa. And the T-pool itself had a very active bubble area towards the back, along with jets in other places. We found the T-pool pass to be one of our best purchases; we loved both the pool and the privacy. And the viewing through the Panama Canal was great.

Based on that experience, we rushed to purchase the T-pool pass on the Journey. And we ended up being pretty disappointed. The furniture was the same loungers that exist in the main pool area. The door to the gym was unlocked, so other passengers would occasionally wander into the T-pool area. Most importantly, the pool itself was a disappointment. It was very cool for almost the entire trip; it was warm for maybe 2 or 3 days out of the 14. Other days, sitting in the T-pool actually chilled me. The bubbles were also a disappointment -- instead of bubbling the entire back of the pool, there appeared to be only one line of functioning air jets, so the bubbles were only in the center of the back rack. Which meant that really only one person at a time could enjoy bubbling action. I understand that multiple people demanded refunds. We didn't, because we did continue to sporadically use the area, but I'd be hard pressed to say it was worth the money.

So, at least in my experience, the T-pool on the Quest is well worth it, but it's pretty questionable on the Journey.

Doug

Are there any other comments from recent Journey passengers regarding their use of this pool? .... is it perhaps worth it just for a quiet space? thanks

Baised on what others have posted, Quest is far superior, for whatever reason , than Journey.:confused:

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a pass for the T-pool in advance or only once on board ? and does the price vary with the length of the cruise ?

Angela

Angela

Unfortunately, you cannot buy a pass until onboard. As for the price, I have only heard one quoted anywhere so am expecting it to be $175 + 18% service per couple for the Singapore to Athens. Perhaps someone else knows better.

Sue

yes, a very large steamroom....can't remember if there is a dry sauna.

Still wondering if you need to pay now on Journey to use outside t-pool???

I was on the Quest last October and got free use of the t-pool because of being in a suite. Otherwise, there was a charge.

There is no sauna, just a steam room.

We just returned form the 1-31-09 Journey and after reading about how bad of an experience people have had in the past I was eager to test the pool on our cruise.

The pool was cool and I asked what the temp was supposed to be and I was told it was to be at body temp. It was not so I complained and the next day and for the rest of the cruise it was right at the correct temp for the remainder of the cruise.

We enjoyed going to the pool everyday with peace and calm.

Archived