NCL Roll Call Board

Host Mama

Y'all really need to read this message thread. It is about roll calls in general. You need to go to YOUR roll call to post messages. Could you imagine trying to find all the postings for just one cruise buried in here.

To find your roll call, you can read the first posting in this thread, or read my notes below.

This started out being a thread by Host Mama to explain how to use the Roll Call and the suggestion was made to standardize how a Roll Call is started so that it would be easy to find for cruisers wanting to join. It has degenerated into a thread for posters to discuss and ask questions about specific cruises. :eek:

Edited by packercruising

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Good to read about all of you. My husband, Richard and I ( Deborah ) are really looking forward to our trip. My husband is an airport director and i am finally getting him out of the sky and on to NCL.

We are both is our early 50's . And love to travel. This is our 1st cruise so we are both very excited to be going . Any thing i should know before hand ? have been doing a lot of reading . So i kinda know what to expect.

We have decided to stay on the ship at the 1st port we stop at . Any one else staying behind ?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

For those of you trying to set up or join a Roll Call and/or a Meet & Greet (Mingle) on a specific cruise, you entered the system through the wrong general catagory (Cruise Lines "A-O" or "P-Z).

Go back to the begining: "Cruise Critic Message Boards"

Then Select: "Roll Calls - Members Only"

Then Select your Cruise Line: e.g. "Norweigen Cruise Lines"

Then Select Your Ship: e.g. "Star"

The Select or Start your specific Sailing: e.g. "Panama Canal - Oct 1"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
WHAT ARE THEY?

Roll Calls were started for individual cruise lines so that our members could "meet up and chat with" others who they'lll be sailing with. This made it much easier to find others on your cruise instead of scrolling through all the threads here on the main NCL board.

HOW DO YOU FIND YOUR ROLL CALL?

There is a separate ROLL CALLS section on the main page of our BOARDS. Here is a link directly to the ROLL CALL area for NCL. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=110 Click here and then locate the ship on which you'll be cruising. You'll then have to scroll and search for your particular cruise. NCL's roll calls are very popular and you can usually find a roll call for sailings within four to six months of your cruise.

WHAT IF I CAN'T FIND A ROLL CALL FOR MY SAILING?

You can start one! In the thread title, be sure to include the name of your ship, your sail date and year. Some roll calls get started very early, others start closer to sailing dates; some are very active; some tend to be a bit more quiet. Regardless of how active a roll call is, this is a great opportunity to meet some folks sailing with you.

IF MY ROLL CALL IS SLOW, CAN I POST IT ON THE MAIN BOARD?

No. Please don't post threads looking for others cruising with you on the main boards. Roll calls became so popular that there was a need to set up a separate area for them. We ask that you keep roll call discussions to your roll call in the ROLL CALL area and keep the main board open for general NCL cruise discussions.

If you need assistance with a roll call, please feel free to contact me or Host Star and we'll be happy to help. hostmama@cruisecritic.com or hostStar@cruisecritic.com.

Ann

Aka Host Mama

This is getting to be a pet peeve for me. It is fast becoming the most abused thread on the board. At least pretend that your post is on topic. I agree with garycarla, find the thread that is on topic for what you want to post. So what is the topic of this thread? Let's review;

1. How do you find your cruise? A link is provided with specific information to allow you to find the roll call for your cruise. This aint it!

2. If you cannot find your Roll Call, start a thread for it. It really is a lot of fun and you meet a lot of really neaqt people that will be cruising with you.

3. Can you post your cruise info on the main board. Once you are on a roll call or start a roll call thread, you will not need to. Other CCers that are sailing with you are probably looking for the roll call too.

4. Any Questions, see above.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
We recently booked a cruise, and I wanted to join the Roll Call for the voyage, only to find the thread is closed. The cruise is this January.

1) Why would that happen?

2) How do I contact my fellow CC'ers for this cruise?

Thanks

The thread was closed because it was too active and we were slowing down the boards, CC started us a part 2 roll call thread which is now getting too active as well and we may end up with a 3rd roll call thread before the GEM 1/29/12 cruise. :D

Original, now closed, thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1309413&page=350

Part 2, current, thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1496232&page=87

• 2 months later...

Just to refresh everybody's memory, this is not a roll call thread. This is a thread to help you create your own or find your roll call.:D

WHAT ARE THEY?

Roll Calls were started for individual cruise lines so that our members could "meet up and chat with" others who they'lll be sailing with. This made it much easier to find others on your cruise instead of scrolling through all the threads here on the main NCL board.

HOW DO YOU FIND YOUR ROLL CALL?

There is a separate ROLL CALLS section on the main page of our BOARDS. Here is a link directly to the ROLL CALL area for NCL. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=110 Click here and then locate the ship on which you'll be cruising. You'll then have to scroll and search for your particular cruise. NCL's roll calls are very popular and you can usually find a roll call for sailings within four to six months of your cruise.

WHAT IF I CAN'T FIND A ROLL CALL FOR MY SAILING?

You can start one! In the thread title, be sure to include the name of your ship, your sail date and year. Some roll calls get started very early, others start closer to sailing dates; some are very active; some tend to be a bit more quiet. Regardless of how active a roll call is, this is a great opportunity to meet some folks sailing with you.

IF MY ROLL CALL IS SLOW, CAN I POST IT ON THE MAIN BOARD?

No. Please don't post threads looking for others cruising with you on the main boards. Roll calls became so popular that there was a need to set up a separate area for them. We ask that you keep roll call discussions to your roll call in the ROLL CALL area and keep the main board open for general NCL cruise discussions.

If you need assistance with a roll call, please feel free to contact me or Host Star and we'll be happy to help. hostmama@cruisecritic.com or hostStar@cruisecritic.com.

Ann

Aka Host Mama

Edited by packercruising

• 4 months later...
Im going nov 24 to dec 1 anyone else going

Please read through the postings above. This is not where you post about your trip.

You need to go to the ROLL CALLS and find your ship and post there.

• 4 weeks later...
Some roll calls are very busy as soon as a person books and then NOTHING!!! It is very discouraging!!! You feel like a bug when you post more often that the others, but it is just that your excited! M & G are organized as well as other mingle stuff. Why join the roll call when your are not interested in mingling with others on your cruise. Just go on your cruise and don't worry about who's on it and don't enroll!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I have met some amazing people through these roll calls, and also been able to jump onto GREAT tours (some of the best I have ever been on!) that people have booked and are just looking for an extra couple to join and share the costs.

I also keep in touch with a few that I have met on these boards, and that is fun too!

I do admit that when the roll call is slow, it does get a little disheartening, but it never stops me from "bump"'ing the thread to the top with a new post!! I can always think of something to add.

The best roll calls I have been on have been with Celebrity - more people are active, it seems, and a REAL camaraderie is formed before the cruise .. and it's fun seeing all your new friends onboard from time to time. I have found that NCL is hit or miss .. I am not sure why not as many people are on the roll calls - they (NCL crew) do an amazing job at the meet and greet every single time I have participated! The roll call specifically for Boston to Bermuda - at least on the weeks I have gone in the last 3 years - are very sparse. I wish it was more, but it isn't, so there is nothing I can do about it. I will just try to connect with the few that are on-line chatting, if they want to.

so, anyway -- I think the poster above - LaWeezy - just might be a party pooper!! (just my opinion ... which could be changed if we happen to run into each other afloat some where ... :p)

ttyl,

Karen

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
No, this is not correct. You are in a message ABOUT roll calls. Read the very first posting in this message thread.

You need to find YOUR roll call to post on.

So then, why don't you have the Name of the Message Thread somewhere on each post, so customers don't get confused.

I just started today, and despite having worked for a .com for the last 10 years, I have no idea how to work effectively with your system.

If I get a comment from someone, how do I know what thread it belongs to, and whether I'm already subscribed for it?? It doesn't say this anywhere for the user....

And I have no way to figure out how many threads relate to a specific roll call - I should be able to subscribe for all threads in a roll call....

Unnecessarily confusing...

• 4 weeks later...

The person that started our roll call board entered 2012 instead 2013. Can this be changed? If so, how & by who?

I think some fellow cruisers are not entering because they think it has already sailed - last year.

• 1 month later...

It would be really helpful if there was a more formatted way to list when you start a roll call. Some put the numbers ( 03/14/2014) some spell it out (March 14, 2014) and other misc ways to list the cruise date. I did a search for 2014 figured that would narrow down my searches but I still had so many 2013 to sort through. I'd dont want to start a duplicate but not sure if there is one for my cruise date and I'm just not seeing it or what.:(