Food Additives

Beachgator

I know this is an old thread being dug out.  The simple answer to those who have experienced "large dump" or "soft stools" is that they are gluten intolerant. Supposedly 10 percent of people are gluten intolerant but most are unaware.  For those who are gluten intolerant, increased consumption of gluten laden food on cruise ships like cakes and pizza will trigger the "big stinky dump".  They may lose weight even though they eat more because their gluten intolerant GI system will get rid of what are deemed to be poisonous to the system quickly and much of the nutrients are not absorbed as a result.

2 minutes ago, Coupleofsailfish said:

Lisiamc, It is a topic that I'm very much aware of, being off of two separate back to back ships consuming most of my Dec. 2018

If you experienced this, then I suggest that you talk to your doctor to get tested for gluten sensitivity.

To CEOofVacation: I am very aware of gluten intolerance and I do not eat cakes, pizza or anything that will trigger "big stinky dump". That is;  I do not eat those items that would cause such a situation although with someone else preparing my food that has had difficulty with plumbing problems on their ships, it's likely that something was added to my food to cause a situation of reduced and soft poop, to keep the plumbing trouble to a minimum.  this poop issue is something that ONLY happens to me (and my husband) while on board ship.

3 minutes ago, Coupleofsailfish said:

To CEOofVacation;  As I mentioned;  I am aware of gluten sensitivity and eat accordingly.  I do not eat gluten ridden foods.

Got it.  The other trigger could also be sugar free products if sugar alcohol is used... all those sugar alternatives which end with "tol".  I did ask during the galley tour as to what they used and they were unsure.  Later someone came back and said "Equal" which should be fine if that is indeed what is used to sweeten sugar free desserts.

Practicality says that if an extra ingredient costs as much as a penny extra, the cruise lines won’t go for it.  I’ve seen workers in the corridors repairing blocked plumbing on every cruise I’ve been on, so apparently it’s not that effective.  

Common sense says that so many many people are allergic to common ingredients that cruise lines are accountable for knowing and verifying every single ingredient that goes into every dish.  A “secret” ingredient that causes changes in bodily functions would result in deaths of allergic people at worst, and enormous numbers of lawsuits at best.

Life experience says that even just two people can’t keep a secret.  So how have the many thousands of people who have worked in galleys on cruise ships over the decades kept this secret ingredient secret?  And not one has ever spilled the beans?  It’s left to a self-appointed Sherlock Holmes on a conspiracy blog to figure out from his/her database of one person on one cruise that this must be happening.  

FWIW, “Cruise Constipation” is a known thing too.  Perhaps they’re dosing half the food with one secret ingredient, and half with another?

If I didn’t trust the cruise line to feed me safely, I think I’d stay home.

• Like 1

To CEOofVacation;  I never purchase alcohol on board.  I'm such a sparing drinker, it's hardly worth noticing that I do have an occasional alcoholic drink.  As for sugar, I've eliminated it from my diet long ago.  I use 100% maple sirup or molasses to   sweeten treats that I make and there are NO averse effects.  As for artificial sweeteners, I do not believe in them, I do not use them and do not suggest that others do either.  I also do not appreciate people putting anything into my food that is artificial in ANY way.  The Cruise Ships should CLEARLY state and disclose what (everything) is used in the food and drinks on board ship.  People need to be aware of the risks.

To Iisiamc:  I think you are right on point about the meal costs aboard ship.  The cruise lines are no doubt very careful about how they allocate funds for food.  In regards to making sense of holding onto a "Secret";  It may not be a secret at all.  It maybe something being used that they expect is OK but just simply isn't.  The other scenario is that the workers priority is to keep their jobs, knowing that if they become whistleblowers, they would likely be shunned from the industry.  It could also be that people DO spill the beans although no one has an interest to listen.  Regarding deaths on board, this is NOT at all uncommon.  We experienced a death on board our ship just a few weeks ago.  I believe there may have been another (as I noticed an emergency vehicle parked at the ship during a port stop) on the last ship we were on (We just recently took two cruises back to back).  The rumor was, the death on board (at Key West) that delayed our departure from port (hard to hide from the guests at that point) was due to a heart attack.  Now why would an otherwise HEALTHY individual (had to be to be allowed aboard ship) die aboard the ship after only one night out (with meals).  Heart attack they say.  Chemical agents added to food or things people are allergic to that are added to food without their knowing can cause the heart to beat irregularly.  What actually caused the heart attack?  I very much doubt if that man will be tested for any chemical agents or poisonings.  It's very hard to trust a cruise line when they do not have full disclosure of food ingredients.  After the experience we've had, we'll be staying home.  One last comment that I have is that my husband (who does like the gluten stuff) is still experiencing constipation (did while on board as well).  We're both still attempting to feel ourselves since our cruises.

35 minutes ago, Coupleofsailfish said:

To CEOofVacation;  I never purchase alcohol on board.  I'm such a sparing drinker, it's hardly worth noticing that I do have an occasional alcoholic drink.  As for sugar, I've eliminated it from my diet long ago.  I use 100% maple sirup or molasses to   sweeten treats that I make and there are NO averse effects.  As for artificial sweeteners, I do not believe in them, I do not use them and do not suggest that others do either.  I also do not appreciate people putting anything into my food that is artificial in ANY way.  The Cruise Ships should CLEARLY state and disclose what (everything) is used in the food and drinks on board ship.  People need to be aware of the risks.

Sugar alcohol is not what is in alcohol that people consume as a drink.  Most confectioneries use sugar alcohol, eg. Xylitol, Sorbitol as sugar alternatives when they label "no sugar added" or "sugar free" on their products.  They have similar effects on GI tract as gluten has for someone who is gluten intolerant.  For diabetics, sugar alcohol can plunge their sugar level and cause hypoglycemia, a dangerous and potentially fatal consequence.  It has caused many deaths in dogs when fed products which contained sugar alcohol causing hypoglycemia.  We are always read labels to ensure that sugar alcohol is not listed in foods that we consume.  

Edited by CEOofVacation

Adulterating food, which is what this would be, is highly illegal, as well as highly unethical. Someone, somewhere, who wanted to make a little money with a blog post, wrote a sensational article claiming that in order to save plumbing the cruise ships are adulterating food (does that even seem logical?)  Blog posts create money for the author every time it is read (advertising links). I noticed one such article was written by "Staff." Hmmm. With a medical or food science degree? 

The logical responses that have been posted here: change in water, over-consumption of alcohol and food (nah, really?!), increased intake of sugary, gluten-heavy foods (just ONE more piece of double chocolate cake) are the culprits. For me, anything that ends in "tol" (sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol) will end up in "see ya'll" in the restroom.

As for the heart attack? A large ship, with crew, can easily carry over 6,000 people. Yes, among that population (average cruiser age is 56) there is a possibility of a heart attack due to many, many reasons. But an increased heart rate due to excessive pooping? Highly unlikely.

Smooth sailing everyone. (sorry, couldn't help it). 🙂

To CEOofVacations;  Thanks so much about the information regarding sugar alcohol!  MUCH APPRECIATED!  I'm quite sure that if you poled the guests on board, 95% of them would not be aware of the sugar alcohol issue.  When most people hear "Sugar Free" they are thinking (in terms of calories) how they will not be adding to their calorie intake and thus they will not be any heavier once they disembark the ship.  Without full disclosure of what is used in Cruise ship food, it just simply is not safe.  Is would be a good practice for Dr.'s to advise their patients of the risks of Cruise travel, before embarking.  Thanks again for the info., this may also explain deaths on board of otherwise (where when they embarked) healthy people.  Perhaps Hypoglycemia causing heart attack.

I think this thread wins the Internet for one of the most bizarre subjects of the year. (Or maybe decade, since it was started 10 years ago). I'm going to have to stop reading it. If my eyes roll one more time at one of these posts,  I'm afraid they'll get stuck looking backwards. :classic_blink: Some people believe the craziest things.

Edited by mom says
  • Haha 2

CruiseStitch;  AWESOME!  Thanks SO much for the information about Celebrity Ships!  The fact that Celebrity upholds US Regulations explains A LOT.  We've Cruised with Celebrity three times and have not had these issues with those Cruses.  We've always enjoyed Celebrity.  When and If we Cruise again, it will be with Celebrity!!