Food Additives

Beachgator

Forgive me, but what in the heck are you talking about? No cruise line is going to put anything in their food that could cause a passenger to become ill. And what kind of additive does ANYONE put in food consumed by the public to supress "stomach disorders"?

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the cruise line treats the food with additives that help suppress stomach disorders and the such? I've not seen any disclosures to that effect but feel it should be if that is the case.

If somebody told you this, I think they were trying to pull your leg!

Lisa

• Like 1

Lisa, what you and Kitty9 say may be true and I suspect that's the case. On our last cruise thru the Panama Canal, my wife and I felt like we were taking Bismuth Subsalicylate (ie Pepto Bismo, Kaopectate etc) starting a day after were started the cruise and ending 2 days afterwords. We felt fine the entire cruise and the food as usual was delicious. We were just curious if any others had seen or heard anything. Like Kitty9 said, I can't believe a public cruise ship would use anything like that to keep down stomach viruses, but they do use herbs, spices and the like to season the foods we eat. Thanks for the feedback.

Seasoning food is one thing; medicated passengers is another.

That's just a ridiculous allegation. Medicating passengers, good grief... I suppose the people who DO get seasick, or get other ailments, and there are those arent there?, are the people where the 'medication' doesn't work?, or are they obstaining from food, or, are they the 'control group'... Geez I know x-files just came out, but give me a break!

• Like 2

That's just a ridiculous allegation. Medicating passengers, good grief... I suppose the people who DO get seasick, or get other ailments, and there are those arent there?, are the people where the 'medication' doesn't work?, or are they obstaining from food, or, are they the 'control group'... Geez I know x-files just came out, but give me a break!

Tbelian, I don't think anyone is making an allegation, certainly not me. I was just putting out a question if anyone had heard or read anything. As far as the experience my wife and I had it was to my knowledge isloated to us. No x-files intended here.

I'm allergic to a number of foods and food additives. If the cruise lines (or restaurants or ANYONE) started adding stuff then I'd be mighty unhappy ... and would wonder why Big Brother was sailing with me!!!

• 7 years later...

I'm absolutely sure that there is something about the food on carnival cruise lines. Saying I was "regular" was an understatement. I felt fantastic. And this has happened on all three cruises I've taken. I guarantee, swear, take an oath and thee and thou that there's something in the good that settles the stomach and activates the bowels. Fiber? No preservatives? Castor Oil? Fish oil? Milk of Magnesia? I don't know what it is but there's something to it. I want some. I lost weight and ate like a garbage can for 9 days. And come on...there are few feelings, better than a great dump, am I right?

The next time you cruise, you'll notice. It took me two cruises to notice.

I'm absolutely sure that there is something about the food on carnival cruise lines. Saying I was "regular" was an understatement. I felt fantastic. And this has happened on all three cruises I've taken. I guarantee, swear, take an oath and thee and thou that there's something in the food that settles the stomach and activates the bowels. Fiber? No preservatives? Castor Oil? Fish oil? Milk of Magnesia? I don't know what it is but there's something to it. I want some. I lost weight and ate like a garbage can for 9 days. And come on...there are few feelings, better than a great dump, am I right?

The next time you cruise, you'll notice. It took me two cruises to notice.

We took a day trip on a catamaran once...lunch was served, and the food was loaded with ginger....the servers told us that (and you could taste it, too)...it was tasty! They also handed out ginger tablets to those who wanted them, for the return trip, which was much rougher than the outgoing trip....

We had no issues, but obviously, some folks didn't partake, or were VERY susceptible to motion, because they were hanging off the back of the ship the entire way home!

I'm wondering what kind of search one does to come up with a thread like this...that is 8 years old...EM

Well, given the current rash of repetitive questions abounding, this is refreshing to be sure, if not funny too... :D

Edited by Bo1953

Lisa, what you and Kitty9 say may be true and I suspect that's the case. On our last cruise thru the Panama Canal, my wife and I felt like we were taking Bismuth Subsalicylate (ie Pepto Bismo, Kaopectate etc) starting a day after were started the cruise and ending 2 days afterwords. We felt fine the entire cruise and the food as usual was delicious. We were just curious if any others had seen or heard anything. Like Kitty9 said, I can't believe a public cruise ship would use anything like that to keep down stomach viruses, but they do use herbs, spices and the like to season the foods we eat. Thanks for the feedback.

I'd suspect your body reacting to different water purification treatment before some mysterious food additive. With the myriad of medications being consumed on board, there's no way they'd risk adverse interactions by taking such a measure.

I'd suspect your body reacting to different water purification treatment before some mysterious food additive. With the myriad of medications being consumed on board, there's no way they'd risk adverse interactions by taking such a measure.

bb - blaming it on the water, eh? But you could be correct... LOL or the poster just loosened up because they were on a ship and not at work!

That's my explanation and I Am sticking to it..

bon voyage

It is the fresh sea air that makes us feel great (which is why we have spent over 1000 days on cruises). As to the food, my waist line loves cruise food and likes to expand to show its appreciation :).

When it comes to "additives" we only know of one....and it is a major problem. That is salt....and cruise line chefs/cooks do what chefs do in most restaurants which is to freely add salt to enhance flavor. Many cruisers have the swollen ankles to prove the point.

Hank

• 2 years later...
On 6/3/2016 at 9:42 AM, Bo1953 said:

bb - blaming it on the water, eh? But you could be correct... LOL or the poster just loosened up because they were on a ship and not at work!

That's my explanation and I Am sticking to it..

bon voyage

Bo1953 you are cracking me up! Two year old post but this made me laugh. Happy sailing.

2 hours ago, SandyRed said:

Bo1953 you are cracking me up! Two year old post but this made me laugh. Happy sailing.

s - thank you!

I do try and keep levity about the whole sailing hobby I have... LOL

Thank you and bon voyage!

• Like 1