Daily Exercise Thread

Monday I did 35 minutes on the bike and yesterday I worked out at the gym for a little over an hour. Then my husband and I spent the late afternoon and most of the evening rearranging our bedroom, so I count all that pushing and lifting of heavy furniture as exercise too! ;)

Up the weight on the bowflex Up to 40lbs did arms and back 30 mins

used a 15lbs hand weight for extra work on tricepts damm near killed me...lol

Only 30 min on tread but work at highest incline and up the speed

also jogged on it for about 10 min...That will be it for me I'm off to work.

Leigh

Last night I did 65 minutes on my bike; boy, watching the Olympics while exercising is really motivating!! I'm planning a trip to the gym in a little while to get today's workout in. I'm going out-of-town tomorrow for the weekend and with all I've got to do to get ready, I'm not sure I'll make it on the bike today. Since I'll be riding in a car much of the weekend, I hope I can get it in.

Barbie

I spent over an hour at the gym earlier and found out something I hadn't heard before. Maybe some of the rest of you can confirm (or debunk) it. I was told that if you do the weight work-out first and then the cardio, then you will find the cardio workout to be a more efficient fat-burning session than doing it first. Something about the weights burning most of the stores of glycogen (I think that's what she said, I could be wrong) in your muscles so that when you get going on the cardio, you start burning the fat sooner. It sounded plausible, so when I got home I got on my exercise bike shortly afterward and rode for 40 minutes. If this is true, do any of you (Odoyal) know how long you have afterward to get going on your cardio before your muscles rebuild their store of glycogen (or whatever)? Would 30 minutes to an hour be too long to wait? Or is this just an exercise myth? If this is true, it will certainly influence how soon I get to my bike after my gym workout.

I'll be out of touch until next Tuesday, so have a great weekend and great workouts everybody!

Barbie

I spent over an hour at the gym earlier and found out something I hadn't heard before. Maybe some of the rest of you can confirm (or debunk) it. I was told that if you do the weight work-out first and then the cardio, then you will find the cardio workout to be a more efficient fat-burning session than doing it first. Something about the weights burning most of the stores of glycogen (I think that's what she said, I could be wrong) in your muscles so that when you get going on the cardio, you start burning the fat sooner. It sounded plausible, so when I got home I got on my exercise bike shortly afterward and rode for 40 minutes. If this is true, do any of you (Odoyal) know how long you have afterward to get going on your cardio before your muscles rebuild their store of glycogen (or whatever)? Would 30 minutes to an hour be too long to wait? Or is this just an exercise myth? If this is true, it will certainly influence how soon I get to my bike after my gym workout.

I'll be out of touch until next Tuesday, so have a great weekend and great workouts everybody!

Barbie

I have no idea if it is true or not, but it is how I work out. A few friends as well as two trainers at my gym told me to do weights first then cardio and that's what I have been doing!

The concept is about right, but i'll explain it to you how I was taught. Your body stores carbohydrates as glycogen which either get burned or turned over into fat if not used. WHen pumping iron your body uses the stores of glycogen first, this is why youre normally stronger at teh beginning of your workout..and peter out later because you've exhausted your glycogen stores.

Then when doing cardio you have no glycogen to burn through and the body starts stripping muscle and fat.

If like to do a split where i do weights at one session then cardio later, or cardio in the morning then weights later..but if im running short on time i normally lift weights first.

A LOT of bodybuilders tend to do cardio first thing in the morning with a heart rate no higher than 125 as this tends to be the optimal zone to burn fat. We dont like running fast and having our body use muscle as an energy source, so by walking slow at a steady pace for an hour or calorie expenditure mainly comes from fat stores after the glycogen is used. Then we eat a carb/protein breakfast and lift weights a few hours later.

I find i have the best fat loss results doing cardio first thing in the morning before eating anything. Thats me tho.

Thats how i do it. My trainer has me do a greenzime drink and a burn suplment. wait a 1/2 hour then work out with weights then cardio

He said just follow that and i would see the shred and boy have i.

My work out today free weights for lats,tri,&bi I am hurting..

Bowflex for lower body 40 upper & lower abs

45 min on the treadmill while doing punches

Leigh

Thats how i do it. My trainer has me do a greenzime drink and a burn suplment. wait a 1/2 hour then work out with weights then cardio

He said just follow that and i would see the shred and boy have i.

My work out today free weights for lats,tri,&bi I am hurting..

Bowflex for lower body 40 upper & lower abs

45 min on the treadmill while doing punches

Leigh

man thats a killer workout..good job

How's the back today Odoyal ? Better i hope.

I did a lite work out this morning 30 min on tread mill at high incline

and about 15 min with the free weights.

My plan was to come home this afternoon and do other workout

But i gave blood this morning and it has left me felling very nauseous

and a bit lite headed.

Not good i have to work this afternoon.

Leigh

Back kept me out of commision until sunday...by then it was too late to workout and my gyms closed all week. Sucks not working out for 4 days as thats my life anymore. Not only does it help me physically but it helps me deal with stuff mentally too. Its a place for me to zone out and not have to deal with problems.

Guess ill be doing pushups this week and maybe borrow a gazelle from my fiances friend. Gym opens up Saturday and im going to be in their with a passion.

Hi all, I posted here in the beginning of the thread but not anymore after. I'm going to try again just for some extra motivation.

Today was a 2.5 mi. run/walk, 20 min. free weights for upper body.

Odoyal, maybe your gym is closed at the right time so your back has time to heal. (I always try to find something postive in things.) Hope you heal quickly.

Kelly

Hi all, I posted here in the beginning of the thread but not anymore after. I'm going to try again just for some extra motivation.

Odoyal, maybe your gym is closed at the right time so your back has time to heal. (I always try to find something postive in things.) Hope you heal quickly.

Kelly

Eh im def overtrained, so i need the time off..just wish it could wait 3 weeks till im on this cruise... i guess i could walk around the neighborhood too like you guys...matter off act i think i will tomorrow...give me a chance to see the outdoors a little heh!

Kelly

Eh im def overtrained, so i need the time off..just wish it could wait 3 weeks till im on this cruise... i guess i could walk around the neighborhood too like you guys...matter off act i think i will tomorrow...give me a chance to see the outdoors a little heh!

35 Min bowflex and free weights working back, arms & chest.

45 Min on high incline on treadmill.

Spent the rest of the morning taking plants, birdfeeders Lawn furiture back outside..got to just love faye. And we still don't know what shes going to do.

Leigh

Another beautiful day! It was a cool 3mi run/walk (mostly run.) It's warmed up to 53F, it won't be long and we will have frost. This is my first year running outside and I am wondering how long I will go for. It all depends on how much snow we get. I am hoping at least till my Nov cruise then if I have to go back to the treadmill for a few months to maintain I will be ok.

I also did 20 min of weights for arms/back/shoulders.

kelly

53? wow thats crisp...you live up north i assume.

Glad to see you guys sticking with it.. i woke up today so refreshed, a little back pain but nothing bad. Ive been lifting 6 days a week since thanksgiving of last year with no breaks, so this is well overdue...cant wait for saturday tho,

You guys have been busy while I was away! Sorry to hear about your back, Odoyal, but it sounds like it is getting better and with your gym opening back up on Saturday, you should be good to go. Leigh, you must be in south FL if you're taking your stuff back OUTside. I'm in NE FL and we are bracing for the storm. Every report is a little different than the last so I really don't know what to expect. I do know we don't have to go into work (I work in a high school) tomorrow, so that's good.

I got back from my 4 day weekend and couldn't wait to get back to the gym and on my exercise bike. Last night I spent an hour on the weight machines and 45 minutes on my bike. I know I'll get on the bike tonight for at least 30 minutes...probably longer. Tomorrow if Fay doesn't hit us too hard and the power is still on, I'll be able to make it to the gym in a more leisurely fashion (no waiting until I get off work).

Today I plan on walking home from work at a brisk pace (about 1.8 miles) then continuing my 5K training on the treadmill when I get home. I'm on week #2 of 9.

I'm thinking of signing up for a Turkey Trot as motivation, but I'll have to work around our cruise! :)

Archived