anyone else over 55 and have kids at home?

mmbow

We have 2 "boomerangs", DD is 24 and DS is 21. One is currently "out", the other is home (at least he sleeps here...LOL).

They'd probably rather be boiled in oil than go on a cruise with us.:rolleyes:

I am 56 and DH is 54. We have DS, 21 and DD, 24. Both still live at home at least we think they do. Sometimes we don't see them for days. DD is going on our family cruise and I'm very glad she is coming and paying for her own single cabin.

Dandro...our DS too.. boiling oil or cruise..he would choose the oil. 1) He is afraid of going on a cruise (he has always been a worry wart). 2) He would just rather stay at home and hang out with his girlfriend and friends 3) he would have to pay and he doesn't have the $$.

Do grandkids count? :p:D DH is 67, I'll be 58 next month, and we are raising our grandson (pretty much since his birth), who will be 9 in June. For 4 brief months, we were empty nesters - a freedom we won't experience again for at least 9 more years.

We love our grandson but one of the things we love about cruising over land vacations is that DH and I get some alone time while DGS is in the kids program. I am sure DGS is also happy to get a break from us oldies and is looking forward to his 4th cruise this Saturday. :rolleyes::D

~ Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Married late, so I had my first child when I was 43.

So now she is 17, I am 61 and hubby is 62 - we are taking our first cruise in June. It will be her HS graduation present. DAmn, we are gonna miss her a lot when she goes off to college!

• 5 weeks later...
Married late, so I had my first child when I was 43.

So now she is 17, I am 61 and hubby is 62 - we are taking our first cruise in June. It will be her HS graduation present. DAmn, we are gonna miss her a lot when she goes off to college!

;)I started early, and finished late (I thought) Oldest DS is 38, next DS is 32, and next DS the spoiled one , 16 years! I'm (mother) is 56 yrs. He has sailed with me since 2003. He's been on 9 cruises with me. The oldest son could be almost his father.LOL - :D we've had some great times together, and some crazy ones.:cool: Awesome learning experiences with different cultures, people, climate, and working it with the vendors.:) I WORK hard, and PLAY hard! My last DS I've raised on my own since he poped out.:eek: (father deceased) It hasn't been easy, but it sure has been REWARDING!!!:D

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious on the 55+ board. I am over 55 and still raising my 16 year old (and yes she is my biological daughter) My DH and I have taken both our children on cruises..and they absolutely loved them.

Actually my daughter was a souvenir we brought back with us from a cruise.

Ha ha, be careful of overenjoyment on a cruise, unless it's planned.

Our DD is 27 and I'm still raising her; although this is the last month! After our Alaska cruise end of June, she will be on her own...just graduated as a medical doctor and will start her residency in July. The cruise is her graduation present.

Our DS is 24, I'm still raising him too; for 2 more years when he will also graduate from medical school.

My job is 50% complete.

I hope these kids now a days know how to appreciate their parents!

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

DH (almost 58) and I (57) are still waiting to be "empty nesters."

Due to the economy and some mistakes our DS's (31 & 27) made

when they were younger, they haven't been able to successfully

spread their wings. They are pretty good adult sons now. One

is employed, and the other isn't. The one positive about this

situation, is they are here to house sit and watch our 2 K-9 guys

when we go on cruises. DS(s) have never cruised with us, as cruises

are our get-aways.

Donna

• 1 month later...

I will be 57 this year and DH will be 58. We'll have been married 36 years in a few weeks. Our first child showed up almost 10 years after we were married ... a total surprise. Second child is only 15 months younger .... then 3rd child when I was 39. He just turned 18 and graduated from high school .... he will go to college in the fall and live at home. DD just moved back home at 26.

Do they ever really leave? They are my most amazing accomplishment and it has been an honor to have been able to be their mom. (someday I'd love to the a grandmother!). Jan

• 3 weeks later...

I have to raise my hand in this also! We have three who are now 20, 25, and 29.

In fact my DW and I have been empty nesters twice before now. Our baby daughter is back with us since her husband, who is Air Force, was moved to S. Korea. The wars have played havoc with us. My two oldest are army and have been to Iraq for a couple of years, hence, they certainly moved out. At the same time, my DD moved out for college. Empty nester #1. One of the boys came back and lived with us for a few months while he was buying a house. Empty nester #2. And now our daughter has been back with us for about three months and will be here until at least Ocotober. I guess we will get to have empty nest #3 in October!

I love my children, whether coming or going! Cannot get them to cruise with us, but that may be because they would have to pay their own way! ;)

Leaving in 11 days for the Eastern Caribbean! Sort of another empty nest time!:)

Okay, I get to raise my hand, too. I am 55 and have a 16 year old daughter. Late start. Lost my husband, her dad, a year ago last week. Hasn't stopped our cruising, Ken never really like to, just did it for us. We've cruised 3 times this year.

I have been looking at the solo cruising board & just might need to try that someday. Usually have plenty of family that want to cruise with us, but sometimes their schedules are limited & there are places I want to see.

Yes! I had my son when I was 42. My only child and the greatest blessing of my life. He's 13 now and we're going on our 2nd cruise together. He won't always want to do that, so I'm striking while the iron's hot! Luckily I won't mind cruising single when it's time -- I just like to cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We are 57 amd 56.

Had boy/girl twins at 30

We started to cruise with them when they were 6 and they have about `15 to 20 cruises under their belt now at age 27. DS got married in July and DD might be almost engaged. Hooray. She wants to marry on a Carnival ship out of NY. So in a year or less, we might be alone!!!!!! I will believe when it happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm 58 and DW is 59 and our DS will be 23 on Oct 28. He is my best friend, next to DW of course. We go to social (read beer) gatherings and other events together and enjoy a lot of lifes finer parts as well. Even though we do share so much we both feel fee to go on our own, but I seem to have more fun with him. Sometimes, he turns out to be the adult and I the kid. I'm glad we had him at 35 and 36 because now that we are in a more secure fiancial place in our life, and DS is "making his own fortune" we don't have to support him just love and share with him. BTW is Mom and he are BFF's too. I wouldn't exclude Pete from any cruise I'm on, I just couldn't "shaft" my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

I am 55 and DH is 56 and our youngest daughter is 21. Still at home but that is all right. She is in school so that is good. Planning on our next cruise with her. She had gone on all of ours except when we went to Alaska (special anniversary one). She did go on her first cruise without parents last August. We went to the ocean while she was gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all, for your comments.

I had my one & only at 41. She's now 13.

Since I am divorced, she & cruised together the one cruise I've been on, to Alaska.

We both loved our trip but she had more social fun on the ship than I 'cause she had a built-in network of friends in the kids' program.

I spent a fare amount of time alone in my cabin during evenings.:(

Now I'd like to cruise again with "older" single cruisers, but don't at all want a dating type situation.

I just don't fit into the usual categories.

Thanks again to all who shared your situations & happy cruising!

I hope to cruise again next April, either with my sister or hopefully, I'll find a good group cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
Just curious on the 55+ board. I am over 55 and still raising my 16 year old (and yes she is my biological daughter) My DH and I have taken both our children on cruises..and they absolutely loved them.

Actually my daughter was a souvenir we brought back with us from a cruise.

I turn 73 years young this month, and my wife is 53. We have a 19-year-old son, who lived with us until he got married two months ago. This cruise in January is a 27-year delayed honeymoon. Even though I looked like a grandparent at school functions, I enjoyed every moment of being an older (and biological) Dad and have to admit I'm having a bit of "empty nest" syndrome. Plus, I always win the prize at high school reunions for having the youngest child!!

Hello,

I am 66 and my DW is 63. We have a 30 year old DD (a high school English teacher) who is married but no children and on their own. We also have a 25 year old DS. He is a prosperous young man whose work is seasonal (summer, Fall and winter so he stays home when he is not working (a few weeks at a time). When he is home he finds super deals and goes on cruises with his girlfriend.

We go on three cruises a year on average though my wife is recovering from a major illness...both of us can't wait for our next cruise. Hopefully we can all go together as my DD likes to cruise but our DSIL has not been on a cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

:cool:I am 55 today. I adopted 5 special needs grandchildren ... 14,12,11,9 and 8. My ex and I have joint custody. No they are not going on my first cruise. I thought when my youngest flew the coop I was done, but life throws curve balls!

Nice to see I am not alone at still having children home! We , my boyfriend and I sail on the Inspiration on 2-8.

Archived