Pompeii versus Herculaneum??

EaglesWing

For those who may have taken tours to either Pompeii or Herculaneum on your Mediterranean cruises, which of these two ruin sites do you consider better? We will be aboard the Zuiderdam leaving Venice 9/29, and plan an excursion from Naples to one of these sites. Which shall I select and why?

Many thanks for any advice!

We did a Western Mediterranean cruise on the Westerdam in July 2007. We went on a private tour to Sorrento and Positano that included a tour of Pompeii on the way back to the ship. The visit to Pompeii was a highlight of our entire cruise and this was the concensus of both the adults and the teenagers in our group. I would pick Pompeii over Herculaneum, especially if you have teenagers in your group as they have studied about Pompeii and will know something of it prior to the visit. We would all have liked to stay longer than our 2 hour visit because there is so much to explore. The amount of ruins excavated and the condition of the ruins was was much better than I had anticipated. A private guide is essential. I haven't been to Herculaneum so I am sorry that I cannot compare the two. Hope this helps!

We took the train and did both. I liked Herculaneum better, better preserved, more mosaics, less crowded--smaller and easier to get a sense of the town. That being said we spent hours exploring the back roads of Pompeii. Go to the Europe boards and do a search, this is always an ongoing debate.

When we took our Mediterranean cruise in 2006 I visited Pompeii. It was great! I had heard about Pompeii all my life and to be able to finally get to visit it was the highlight of the cruise. I did not go to Herculaneum so I can't say anything about it but it if can top Pompeii, it would have to be really great.

I'm sure you will enjoy either place but if I had the chance, I would go back to Pompeii in a minute.

My niece and I went to both Pompeii and Herculaneum on our one-day stop in Naples via taxi. Both sites are very interesting but a guide or audio tour of Pompeii is available whereas we didn't find such amenities at Herculaneum - but it was several years ago and perhaps they have been added by now. If I had to choose just one, I'd pick Pompeii.

We did the western Mediterranean cruise in May and went to Pompeii. It was the main reason we scheduled this cruise. We have always wanted to see Pompeii and we were not disappointed! Our tour guide was outstanding and it lasted about 5 hours. I wish we could have stayed longer. I never realized Pompeii was so large! It would have been great to have had another day to tour Herculaneum, too. A TA told me that Herculaneum is smaller and less crowded than Pompeii; but Pompeii is so large that we never felt rushed or crowded in May. Whichever one you choose will be great. :)

I think you will be awed whichever you choose to visit. It seems that Pompeii was the major town and, as such, contained the major buildings/meeting places etc, e.g. The Forum - a meeting and market place, the government buildings, bath houses, grand villas, and smaller houses for the ordinary folk, etc. etc.

The brothel is a fun place to visit in Pompeii. There is also evidence of many street cafes. A small number of the villas still have parts of the decorative wall paintings, as these were not too damaged in the eruption. Now preserved in a display case are a couple of mumified bodies.

Between our first and second visits, the amphitheater was excavated.

The whole site of Pompeii is rather large although many of the small streets and houses at the "back" of the site are mundane.

Herculaneum was a place were the "townies" took their vacations and at the time of the eruption was on the seashore.

Both places are easy to get to by local train but, IMHO, a visitor does need either a guide (a human being) or a digital guide for the explanations. All guides, of whatever variety, are available at the entrance.

We have not returned to Herculaneum since our visit about 6 or 8 years ago but I presume it is still being excavated. One fact that really interested me about this town was that it was literally unearthed. If I remember rightly, some of the excavations are even underneath the town which was built on top.

Whichever one you decide upon, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

I haven't been there, but am going next summer :D

I have a friend who did a land trip all over Italy this summer and saw both and the museum in town. She said Hernaculeum is better preserved but less varied and smaller. Pompeii has more different types of things to see and is a lot bigger. I guess a lot of the things they found in Pompeii are in a museum now in town which she said is well worth seeing. Her advice with the limited time we have was to do Pompeii early as possible and then come back to town and see the mosaics and statues and such from Pompeii that are in the museum.

We have been to both, Pompeii first, then Herculaneum on our trip last year.

I would definately say that Pompei should be your first choice. There is something very special about this site - we noticed that most visitors (including us) seemed awed and quite moved. We visited in May so it was not so crowded, but it is a well visited site at any time. I regret that we did not have time to visit the archeological museum in Naples that houses most of the treasures and mosaics found in Pompeii.

Herculaneum is much smaller with better mosaics, but it is not the same experience.

We have taken excursions for both sites on different cruises. In retrospect, we suggest to anyone that they should visit Pompeii first as it is dramatic in terms of what occurred. Then visiting Herculaneum allows one to put in perspective the contrast between the two sites as it is easier to get around, more compact, and more structured. Just our HO.

harry

I know I'm chiming in a little late but...We have been to both and found Herculaneum by far the better of the two. Pompeii is larger but Herculanium is much better preserved - right down to the wood ( now petrified) around the windows and doorways and the paint on the walls. It's a snapshot of an ordinary seaside port town in 79ad. You do need a good guide to make it amazing.

Of course, either one is an unforgettable experience.

Pompeii has the broad plazas and theater. Herculanuem has the local fast food joint.

Just thinking about them makes we want to there again. Have a great trip

Barbara

We have been to Pompeii and Herculanium. Also adore the Amaphi coast.

We really like Herculanium and feel it is a great site. Well preserved.

We Combined a pm tour with the Archeology Museum in Naples in am>It is really awesome and frequently overlooked.

Suggest a ships tour as the area around Herculanium is a bit dodgy.

If you do go to Pompeii go in the am.

Archived