St.Thomas or St. Martin to buy jewelry?

jagmanss1

Hi all, I have a question as to what is the best port to buy Jewelry.... St. Martin Or St.Thomas And do you have a favorite place in either port that you could recommend. We want to buy a new wedding band for our 25th Anniversary and figure this would be the time and place to do it......

Thanks for any input or info......

I strongly recommend Ballerina at St Thomas and St Martin. If you go to St Thomas ask for James and St Martin ask for Tony. We have been buying jewelry there for many years and never had a problem. Great jewerly and selection. You won't be disapointed!!!

Alysia

St. T....H. Stern (first choice...St. T & overall), Cardow (2nd choice...St. T)

St. M....Have bought several things as Joe's.

Are you on the Aruba or Antigua run?

Antigua....The Goldsmitty!!!!! (ties for overall first place w/ H. Stern on St. T)

Aruba....Kay's (same owner as the Kay's on St. M but much nicer facilities)

Definitely check out H. Stern (main store in downtown...not the outlet) on St. and if you are doing Antigua then The Goldsmitty is a must if you like "unique" pieces.

We love both routes so have a great time whichever one you are on!

Funny thing, when we were on the Explorer last month, we went to St. Maarten and I made my DH buy a new wedding band as well. He still laughs at me.

Have bought jewelry in both ports and have been very happy with everything.

Just make sure to barter with them. If you pay cash you will do even better.

Hope you like your new rings.

Happy 25th Anniversary.

My vote is for St. Marten. I purchased jewelry in both St. Marten and St. Thomas. I was ripped off in St. Thomas. I love Kay's in St. Marten. I've also purchased at Kay's in Aruba.

I purchased a bracelet at Kay's in St. Marten in Oct 03....I lost one of the stones....went back to Kay's in St. Marten in March 04 w/o a receipt and they replaced the stone free of charge. No questions asked.

Kay's has two locations in St. Marten....one right in the shops at the pier and one Downtown. I purchased in both. Equally nice to deal with.

Enjoy!

Another vote for Kay's in St. Maarten. We've bought from them twice, including a new wedding band for my husband (similar bands at home were more than twice as much money!) Super people to deal with. We went to both shops this summer, but the owner works in the downtown shop, and is easier to deal w/directly than waiting for the salesperson to "ask their manager" when negotiating! Check out their selection of very unique Blue diamonds! Awesome, and you don't see them at the mall shops around home! And, they give hubby a beer while you are shopping :D

Hi, we have bought at Imperial Jewelers in St. Thomas for years. Last year I bought a diamond wedding band and received a appraisal for double the price I paid when we got home. Everytime we go there we here stories from alot of different people who have been buying from them for years as welll. I hope you have fun.

In '92 my friend bought a diamond tennis bracelet in St. Maarten for $800..when she got back to the states, it was appraised at $2400. Another friend bought emeralds that were appraised much higher than she paid.

Over the years I have come to know and love Indira Gift Shop in St. Thomas...right inside Palm Passage,(across from the Charlotte Amalie dock) doesn't look like a jewelry store, more like a souvenier shop but she has the BEST deals. Bought our wedding rings there in '99 and several nautical pieces since and all were appraised much higher..In a local jewelry store in NJ the bracelet I liked was $600. In St Thomas I paid $125...almost identical..14K..Funny story I have to post on another thread about lost and found....

WOW!!!! Thanks to all who have replied, We are on the Aruba route and really like the replies so far, Now We can go with a sence of where to shop, Now this is what these boards are all about, people helping others to find what they want...... Thank you to all and really like the beer while you wait Idea;) Thanks for the tips everyone and will take all into account and as I see some of the best of CC'RS have replied:) , You are all the best..... Thank You for replying........ We will take your advice........ And of Course any others:D

Well, I agree that it's a matter of style and taste. I do ALL my jewelry shopping on cruises, because of the sentimental value, memories, etc.

I decide before I go what I want, and then look for the item in all the ports. I usually have a good idea of my price range, and tell the store personnel.

Last November I wanted to get an anniversary band, also, but I wanted a specific style and weight of diamonds to compliment my wedding band. I had added marquis diamond to each side of the solitaire (added for me in ONE day at Diamonds International in St. Thomas in 2002), and I wanted an anniversary band that didn't overpower, but complimented the wedding band. I found EXACTLY what I wanted in Grand Cayman, for EXACTLY the price I wanted to pay.

So, look at all the places mentioned by the previous posters, but be sure to get what you want, and that could be some other place.

Archived