JUST BACK! Explorer to Bermuda 08.09.08

MrPete

well we too just returned from ex -- i finally had something to compare - my first cruise was carnival miracle but we went on her when she was only a couple months old so ship was very new - went on norweigan dawn (for a 2 niter) and it was okay and now i finally got the explorer.

we arrived by 11:00 coming from new york and could not believe how better organized they are in bayonne versus ny -- i like the way we went in terminal and was given a bus number (ours was 8) and then we proceeded right thru and did not wait long to board ship. as the cabin was not ready until 1:30, we toured this ship -- we noticed a little wear and tear on her but overall it was nice.

arriving in the cabin.....we were on deck 8 -- bedding was nice and i believe it looked like new carpet -- but the couch was old, stained and very hard. looked like they needed new drapes and the drapes looked like it matched the old bedding. -- luggage was a little delay and we got our just before muster drill. we packed a case of water (which was a mistake) because the refrigerator was just a cooler and rarely kept things cold. we had our steward empty it out so we can place our 3 bottles in there (that was the most we could fit) - we tried for bigger ice buckets but it was not easy. i must say ice is very hard to come by on explorer, especially in the windjammer where the lemonade/ice tea and especially juice was not really that cold.

okay we quickly unpacked...headed to muster drill....rushed back down to drop off jackets so we can head to top deck and watch sailaway -- we are glad we got to film the verrazano bridge (which it was windy) and then we had approximately 15 minutes to head down the the dining room - we are at table 344, deck 3. our waiter was oliver and service was excellent.

i do agree with mrpete --- weather was a little rocky sunday night but i was fine. we went to horseshoe bay that monday but during that dark cloud that appeared over our heads, we threw towels over our heads and waited about an 1 and then finally sun came out and it was just beutiful.

tuesday - compass said mostly cloudy -- which it was but not all day and we finally had time to sit on deck -- not much to see in king warf and did not feel like heading to hamilton for shopping.

wednesday...compass said partly sunny which i believe they made a mistake because it was mostly cloudy.

sadly to say, cruise is over -- we were a party of 7 (my 2 sisters/nephew) and yet we had a lot of laughs.

departing ship -- we could not believe that once we were in terminal, porter immediately helped us with bags and even took them to our cars (although he made a great tip) -- i will be working on pictures and hopefully will share with all -- thanks to all that helped me with all the questions i have had about cruising -- i can only hope next year, i can do it again.

On our previous two EOS sailings, we had our rooms on the port side of the ship, and each time we docked to starboard, so we had the bay side for our view.

On our cruise on the Carnival Pride, we had an aft cabin, and that ship docked to port, so we had a southerly view.

Being we had an aft cabin, I was hoping to be docked once again to port, and was disappointed as it appeared to be the opposite, until I realized the ship was swinging around before we docked.

So, we were thrilled to have an aft cabin facing south to the lighthouse and the bay.

After that noon rain, and lunch, we packed our stuff to head over to Hamilton, when DW discovers her Seapass card is missing. SO we missed our desired ferry, but luckily the next one was a half hour later. Had great weather for our bay crossing.

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

I just posted on the large EOS thread that the Explorer went out in the big thunder/lighting storm tonight across the NY Harbor. They were surely rocking and rolling!!!

I was watching the weather myself when a storm was passing up by us, and I saw all that activity passing by the harbor and across LI, thinking THOSE POOR PEOPLE. :eek:

So, the ride to and from Hamilton was quite relaxing, loving looking for all those special looking houses.

Upon returning to the ship, it was announced that the Dockyard Festival was being cancelled for the evening, but there would be entertainment in the show lounge. Seems that after that glorious afternoon of sunshine more rain was on the way.

We went to the show, which included a phenomenal juggler. Afterward, we went out to Dockside for a stroll, to check out the party at Snorkle Park, and to get a rival night picture of the ship from last year, facing the opposite way.

2007:

DSC02155.jpg

Well, we couldn't have been farther away from the ship at Snorkle Park when the heavens opened up. We RAN back to the ship, soaked, and never got my 2008 shot. :(

It was still raining when the "deck party" started. Pretty disappointed in the offerings. I was beginning to realize this is where they were scaling back A LOT. The buffets.

Enjoyed the light show from the passing storms before finally calling it a night. We wanted to get up early the next morning to get back to Horseshoe, or make it over to St. George.

Tuesday morning, while the ladies were sleeping, I got off to the pier to get some ship shots.

Our balcony, top left

DSC00228.jpg

The Explorer of the Seas on the morning of 08.12.08 in Bermuda

DSC00231.jpg

The inlet marker (or red rook)

DSC00234.jpg

And a reverse view:

DSC00235.jpg

When I got back on board, I noticed a bad cell of clouds that looked like it was gonna slide just south of us, but not. It clipped us as well, and came down pretty hard. I kept regressing more and more into my alcove on the balcony, but finally had to give in as the rain eventually made its way horizontally.

DSC00239.jpg

And when I though it was over………NOT

DSC00238.jpg

Great review and great pictures, you are too funny!

We have 1688 booked for our upcoming January 23rd cruise on Explorer. Do you have any interior pictures of the cabin. Should I be concerned about the pole in the middle of the room?

Great review and great pictures, you are too funny!

We have 1688 booked for our upcoming January 23rd cruise on Explorer. Do you have any interior pictures of the cabin. Should I be concerned about the pole in the middle of the room?

Surprisingly, it turns out I took none of the stateroom. I was only concerned when my almost 10 year old started pole dancing.

Hey Pete. Glad you all had a great time. Loving the review. Hating being off the ship and back at work.

Have a question for you....by any chance were you and your daughter at the pool bar right after you got on the ship getting Pinas?

I think my mom and I were getting Mango Tangos right next to you.

Have a question for you....by any chance were you and your daughter at the pool bar right after you got on the ship getting Pinas?

I think my mom and I were getting Mango Tangos right next to you.

Yes, that was us! Were you the two ladies to the right of me?

What is the "Dockyard Party" and is it something that happens every itinerary to Bermuda on EOS?

They have the festival every Monday night. It's held on the lawn directly across from the ship, where there’s a stage with a bunch of resin chairs.

There are local entertainers, as well as entertainers sponsored from the ship. The host is usually the cruise director.

The Goombay dancers walk up and down the wharf, and end up doing a show on stage as well.

In addition, there’s a kind of flea market going on. Vendors display their crafts. Stores stay open later at Clocktower Shopping Mall.

Surprisingly, it turns out I took none of the stateroom. I was only concerned when my almost 10 year old started pole dancing.

LOL.........Just thought I would ask, but I like your daughter's idea,might as well put the pole to good use.;)

Maybe we can start a new thread "The Pole Club".......:p