JUST BACK! Explorer to Bermuda 08.09.08

MrPete

Wife surprised me this year for our 20th anniversary ……. another cruise to Bermuda on the Explorer. Although I like the EOS, and like Bermuda, not too sure how I was going to be three times out with the same ship and itinerary.

I also wasn’t too happy with the room assignments, so I rebooked it from scratch.

We had a JS the prior year, and found this type room perfect for us, only there were no triples left.

I didn’t wish to try a D1 again, as I found these too small, so I started looking at owners suites when the TA comes though with a cancelled corner aft on deck 10 (1688). I was quite familiar with this room as I had oft read about it, so I booked it without going back and studying all things about it. Seems it’s one of those secret D1 rooms that are configured differently, with a deep and extended and weird balcony.

Eventually, I did visit webshots, and it was even different than I remembered, plus I knew wife hated aft cabins, but I figured I'd just cross my fingers.

From there, it was a visit to a little frequented roll call on CC, but that was OK.

EMBARKATION:

Being this year the ship was leaving on a Saturday, I wasn’t sure what we would hit, so we aimed to arrive at the pier at 10:30. Hit no traffic then entire trip, so we were there in something like 37 minutes.

Place was pretty quiet, and it seemed the previous debarkation went fast.

Took my obligatory pic of the ship from the parking spot, and made our way back to the terminal.

DSC00174.jpg

Checkin was pretty empty as well, and we were quickly processed.

We were handed a boarding pass with the number 4 on it.

Looked like we were going to get on board early this year, and we lucked out. We were on the ship before noon.

Headed straight for the Windjammer, and then out to the pool to claim our usual seas. Took the obligitory EOS sign hanging on deck 12.

DSC00176.jpg

At 1:30 we made our way down to our room. Somewhere in between I dropped on DW our room location and type. I thought it would come to fist to cuffs (whatever that means), but it passed quickly, especially when we opened the door......

Stay tuned......

Opened the stateroom door to 1688, and we were QUITE pleased by the width, but were greeted by that pole I had seen previously in pix, right smack in the middle of the room. Didn’t think I was going to notice it much until the first night getting into bed, and there was the pole, right between me and the TV.

No bother. It still reminded me of a JS, except I had forgotten about the shower. Still reminds me of the tubes the Robinson family had to get in for launch on the Jupiter 2.

Walked out to the balcony, and again, although strange, a lot nicer than the caves they have on the sides of the ship they call balconies.

DSC00179.jpg

Once again, a pole in the way, but open space, covered space, and even a little alcove. That came in handy during one of those passing nasty storms.

Two chairs, a table, and two lounge chairs. I was ready to relax.

But not yet. Had to make my way up to the pool deck for my first foo foo. And it was made JUST RIGHT.

Strangely, at 2:20, deck 11 was still pretty quiet. Got some nice relaxing swims in as the crowds grew…..all in anticipation of sailaway.

Was a bit concerned about the weather on this trip, as the outlook wasn’t the greatest. I just had to keep my fingers crossed. But today for sailaway it was a brilliant sunshine. I also happened to notice that my Blackberry was still functioning with the internet, even on board, so I even got a chance to post a bit on the mega EOS thread.

As I mentioned earlier, our roll call was pretty slow. Most exciting thing I saw was someone was getting married. No one seemed interested in a meet and greet, and after failing miserably last year, not one was scheduled. Too bad, because it was a lively crowd on board.

Sailaway came, and I made sure to see the WTC memorial.

DSC00180.jpg

A lot more locals this year, so there wasn’t much talk about sailing under the George Washington Bridge. Even if the out of towners didn’t just say “the bridge”, it wouldn’t be as funny.

Of course, the obligatory pix.

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

And for the out of towners, the REAL GWB:

GeoWashington.jpg

Keep it coming MrPete, you are too funny. Of course it's "The Bridge"- what else would we call it?

I am reminded that it was my own DW, getting on the Victory last year for the third trip to Canada, asked if we were sailing up the Hudson this time. :eek:

We had early seating, and being we were in the back, had to take the aft set of elevators. These were absolutely horrid, and even when they came, they were packed. Not sure why it was more noticeable on this cruise, but it really was a PITA.

We were assigned, deck 3, Magellan, table 366. There was a couple from RI, and we were eventually joined by a couple and their 11 YO son, from LI.

DSC00195.jpg

Now came the best news yet. After such bad dinners and service last year, there was a 180 turnabout noticed. Service was great, as was the food. Even the new menus were easier to read. And I always found more than one choice, and sometimes even ordered two entrees.

Aother nice touch was that they gave us nice hats to wear.

DSC00197.jpg

The real bonehead turned out to be the table bar person, who didn’t seem to know his ass from his elbow, so I just made sure I brought my drink on the way to dinner. They really lost, and we saved, on those tasty but expensive after dinner drinks.

Well, while DUH boat was going under DUH bridge, I looked back and saw an NCL ship (it was floating) coming down the Hudson.

DSC00182.jpg

It was looking really nice, and then behind that, I noticed the Victory pulling out from its berth. So it was the three of us in a line. Victory, of course, was heading north, we were heading south, but I never knew which NCL ship that was, and have no idea where it was going. Never saw her again, so it wasn't ber MUD a.

Pete...what was your view of Formal Night??

Do we pack the full length dress & Tux or should we skip it?

It certainly wasn't like Carnival. I saw only a couple of black tuxes and the men in one family in white tuxes, and the rest were suits, jacket and ties, down to no jacket and/or no ties.

I went the dark suit route with matching underroos.

DSC00200.jpg

My folks were in 1688 last year (and we were in 1690). That pole in the room is the only bad thing, but otherwise, great staterooms!

Here is a pic from the balcony of 1690 of 1688. The person in the pic is my brother, who was staying with my folks.

1688.jpg

We were happy to hear Dave Chapman had returned to the EOS as CD. And he didn’t disappoint. He’s great at that witty repartee with the pax.

Made our way to the Palace Theatre.

I’m still weirded out by those embalmed Asian ladies on the curtain.

2389162770096246620qzpxSY_th.jpg

Had a comedian for first night entertainment. We had seen him previously last year and bombed. He was a lot better this year.

It was a long day, so after the welcome show we made our way to the Café Promenade for our assorted treats.

This was followed by a retreat to our room and balcony. I fell asleep on the lounger for a bit watching the stars.

Of special note was the comparison of this aft cabin to the afts we’ve had on the Spirit class ships of Carnival. There was no crashing noises from the wake, and no swaying motion either. We were quite comfortable where we were. Although it was a haul to get everywhere, we didn’t complain.

Danger, Will Robinson!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

nyuk nyuk nyuk....:p

Day 2 I made my way up to deck 11 hoping the chair hog police were still in action. THEY WERE!!

Everyone that was coming along to dump and set up their stuff was promptly attacked like flies by men in yellow vests to cease and desist. I watched this for a long while, as I found it more amusing than my Compass.

For the ones they "missed", they appeared to be timing empty sets of chairs, and then scooped up the stuff and took it away.

Rest of the day was family day, just hanging by the pool. Late in the afternoon, the ship starting rocking pretty noticeably. The veterans took it in strides, but the newbies were concerned. And vocal. And some sick. We met some that had sworn off cruising just over this 6/8 hour spell. The waves were simply rolling at an awkward angle to the ship, creating this constant roll. Later in the evening, I noticed we had slowed quite a bit. I’m wondering if this was for the comfort of the passengers, but it delayed our arrival in Bermuda the next morning. We didn’t dock until 9AM Monday morning.

It was formal night, and we donned our duds and made our way to dinner. The Captains gala was not going to be until after dinner.

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00199-1.jpg

Afterwards, we went to the production show which we had already seen twice before. The four main singers were ALL quite talented, and there was still Tracie, who had been there before each time.

Ship had stopped rocking by the time we got back to our cabin, thank God, or DW would have been b!tching the whole night.

BTW, although the bedding was changed before our cruise last year, the bed for the third person (sofa) is a rock. Too bad I didn’t think earlier about asking is they still had that egg crate mattressing.

Day three: BERMUDA!!!

It was extremely windy as we approached the island. Very hard to even walk around deck 12. Lost not one, but two cups of Seattle's Best.

I was happy to see my Blackberry internet connection worked, so I made sure to keep up with my obsession as we pulled in, but left it behind as we boarded pink bus #7 to Horseshoe Bay.

The water was a bit more choppier this year than last year.

2007:

DSC02165.jpg

2008:

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

We got a good three hours in at the beach when I turned around and noticed the darkest cloud coming over behind us from the north. Within seconds, the wind was whipping so bad that the pretty pink sand was no longer that pretty, and downright painful.

And then the heavens opened up. Stupid us, we didn't look at any forecast and left, catching the one working air conditioned bus on the island :eek: :eek: and made our way back to the ship.

It had already stopped raining by the time we hit Dockside, so we figured we'd have lunch, and then maybe take the ferry over to Hamilton.

A lot more locals this year, so there wasn’t much talk about sailing under the George Washington Bridge. Even if the out of towners didn’t just say “the bridge”, it wouldn’t be as funny.

Of course, the obligatory pix.

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

And for the out of towners, the REAL GWB:

GeoWashington.jpg

HMMMMMM......................I believe that that's the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge....................

:)

Made our way to the Palace Theatre.

I’m still weirded out by those embalmed Asian ladies on the curtain.

2389162770096246620qzpxSY_th.jpg

DH went on the 'backstage tour' and learned that this particular curtain is all hand-made and cost approximately $200,000!