Vietnam Excursions

MotherP

I have been an avid reader of this forum but have never had the nerve to post until today. We have to make some decisions this weekend.

Although we have traveled on the Voyager and the Mariner through the Baltic, Europe and Asia, we really need some help in choosing "good tours" on our upcoming cruise. We are booked on the Mariner, Hong Kong to Singapore, leaving Oct 18th. Having never been in this part of the country, we would really appreciate ANY good information possible.

1. What are the best tours to take in Vietnam.

2. Is the trip down the Mekong Delta worthwhile? Would it be a better choice to visit the Chu Chi Tunnels?

3. Is the Hue and the Perfume River excursion a good choice?

4. Is a trip out to the Floating Market worthwhile in Bangkok?

5. Would you suggest staying on Orchard Rd or the Marina area of Singapore?

Thanking you all in advance,

Mother P

I have been an avid reader of this forum but have never had the nerve to post until today. We have to make some decisions this weekend.

Although we have traveled on the Voyager and the Mariner through the Baltic, Europe and Asia, we really need some help in choosing "good tours" on our upcoming cruise. We are booked on the Mariner, Hong Kong to Singapore, leaving Oct 18th. Having never been in this part of the country, we would really appreciate ANY good information possible.

2. Is the trip down the Mekong Delta worthwhile? Would it be a better choice to visit the Chu Chi Tunnels?

Mother P

We will be on Mariner from Vancouver so welcome aboard. Others may have more/better info but we have been in this part or the world a couple of times with other lines. Response from our experience and others on those cruises:

1. The all day tour to Hue which may include lunch at former French hotel very good excepting stops at "factory".

2. We plan to take one of the Mekong Delta tours this time. Siagon city tour including presidential palace was quite good. Others who did tunnel tour were generally not thrilled.

3. See #1

4. We did a river/canal boat trip in Bangkok. It was good, but I am not certain whether the floating market was included. In Bangkok the temple complex is awesome.

5. We have stayed only on Orchard Road which was terrific.

Hope this helps.

Ralph and Judy

The city tour in Ho Chi Minh City was interesting. We were there on another line, but I believe the tours are from the same vendors.

We did the Mekong Delta. Younger people who did the tunnels enjoyed it; older ones were not enthusiastic. I enjoyed seeing the Mekong Delta and the people who live on it.

There is another one almost exactly like the Hue and Perfume River excursion. The difference is the short Dragon Boat down the river. It was interesting, but there were women on board selling souvenirs who really ruined the voyage for us. You could not turn around without them trying to sell you something.

For some reason I seem to think the Floating Market was in Vietnam. We did take a boat ride down the river in Bangkok and yes, it was worth it.

Mother P.....

Vietnam: We hired a pvt driver/car/guide for Hue. We made stops at the beach and some factories along the way [our choices]...toured the

'town' and enjoyed a guide selected restaurant which overlooked the river for a wonderful lunch. On another day, we again went the pvt route to spend a day in the Mekong Delta. This involved lots of walking, a boat ride, oxen cart ride, some visits to families and small businesses, tea w. a musical performance and a very nice lunch. We thoroughly enjoyed both of these days touring and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. We did

Saigon on our own; the ship had provided a shuttle bus into town.

Bangkok: a favorite city.......no, I wouldn't do the floating market but I

would rent a longtail boat for an hour or so ride on the Chao Phyra River...

What a combination of old world and new! Some of the temples are just beautiful with the sunlight reflecting on them. Have them drop you at

the stop for the Palace and Emerald Buddha, both prime sites to visit.

You can connect with an english speaking guide at the temple gate.

If you have time to include some shopping, you might then take the

river bus/taxi to the River/Riverside Mall [attached to the Royal Orchid Hotel]. Divide the day with a Thai lunch and end it with a beverage while sitting riverside, watching the rice barges ply the waters...perfect!

Texed! That's why I want to make this the best trip possible as my husband had a few misgivings about going on this trip.

Hey, I would like to see it again under " different" circumstances. :)

Hue and the Perfume River were stunning, including the Dragon Boat Ride. I would rank this tour as one of the best of my entire World Cruise this year. While it is a long bus ride from the Port of Chan May, the scenery along the way was incredible, and the Ancient Capitol of Hue gives new insight into the old Viet Nam. I went on the ship's excursion which included a delicious lunch at a four-star hotel on the river and a tour of the tomb of Emporer Minh Mang. In March it was very hot and included a lot of walking, but is highly reccomended!

Mother P

The Marina area is on Clarke key check out The Swiss hotel;Merchant court its next to the river and all the restaraunts. the subway is outside will take you to orchard rd in 10 minutes. its very close to china town only two blocks away. has a great pool i have stayed here four times.taxis and public transport are very cheap .you need three days to tour singapore.the Novatel is close by but i prefer the merchant court.Orchard rd is a very busy shopping street. you can shop until you drop here. i have been tO singapore 18 times its my favorite city no crime and very clean. in Bangkok get the sky train to the river there is a ferry boat that works like a hop on hop off boat it will take you to all the sites on the river at a low cost.

p.s check out the Grand Plaza hotel on coleman street.

I agree with tex-ed. I spent 1969 c/o uncle sam in Vietnam. It is hard for me to read about americans vacationing there, never mind visiting the tunnels from which many of my fellow GIs were attacked. Perhaps next year some will have an excursion into the Sunni neighborhoods in Baghdad. I guess that time heals all wounds.

Archived