Avoiding Spring Break

jcw2462

All throughout Mar-May will have alot of kids of all ages--even if school isn't out, lots of parents choose a cruise over school! Longer cruises won't have as many 'college' aged kids as the shorter ones--they simply can't afford the time of money! So, pick a longer cruise!

If it's the younger kids you're worried about--the kid programs keep the little ones busy and out of your hair!

We always cruise in the spring, and have never had any issues with kids, either young or older!

• Administrators
Who has cruised during the first week in April? Were there many spring breakers on the ship?

Mid-February to mid-April typically is spring break season. Most local districts set their spring break for the same week every year (ours is always the first week of April, as it happens). College breaks tend to concentrate in March (see this link -- http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm), and the weeks before and after Easter every year get a double-dose with spring breakers of all ages, plus families who take kids out for vacation due to Easter.

Thanks for the link. I am actually looking at the week of March 30-April 3. Easter isn't until April 12th and the spring break dates on that website are in March.

I don't mind a few kids, but I don't want a lot of college age kids (young adults) partying all night, etc. I have an 18 year old myself, but on vacation I want to relax in peace.

Not every system has spring break during Easter week. Many will have it the week before or even earlier. Like others have said, you will find Spring Breakers from mid-March until the last week of April and there's no avoiding it.

If you want to avoid teens & twenty-somethings, then you should consider a longer cruise (like 10 or more nights). The length of the cruise and the cost make it much less viable for those in school with a limited amount to spend. We sailed X Constellation (11-nights) during spring break week in 2007 and there was just a handful of people under 40.

You are cruising the week before Eastern and will probably not have a lot of Spring Breakers in the sense of having college kids. Most colleges will have already had their Spring Breaks since they finish for the summer in early to mid may. You will however have lots of kids and families on a cruise the week before Easter.

Thanks for the link. I am actually looking at the week of March 30-April 3. Easter isn't until April 12th and the spring break dates on that website are in March.

I don't mind a few kids, but I don't want a lot of college age kids (young adults) partying all night, etc. I have an 18 year old myself, but on vacation I want to relax in peace.

I hear ya! I work with college kids all year long ( I love'em but, like you, want peace and quiet on vacation.) You can bet they'll be on the "Fun" ships and the shorter, cheaper itineraries. Mexican destinations (Cozumel, Cancun, etc) seem to be popular destinations for them.

Pay a little more for a longer cruise or a slightly more upscale line -it will be worth it.

I have an advantage over most in that, being in their environment every day, I get to hear their plans and then I go somewhere completely different:D

I'm sure they don't want to see me (or any of their profs) when they are on vacation either.:D

Its funny that you ask this because my husband and I are in our 20s and are always looking for the same thing! People always tell us we act "old" for our age - we want peace and quiet, we don't party, drink occasionally and very little, and just like to relax...

We have gone in March both of our last cruises and will be going in March again next year - there seemed to be a good deal of each age group on all we have been on.. we have sailed Princess both times and there seemed to be a good amount of kids but they were never really around..

it was a much older group on the last cruise we were on (maybe its because it was a 10 day)..

one thing i did notice last cruise.. it was the biggest complaining bunch of people i have ever seen! I don't know about you but my attitude is "Hey i'm on a cruise - it has to be something REALLY BAD to make me upset!"

Whatever you end up doing I hope you enjoy your vacation!

Who has cruised during the first week in April? Were there many spring breakers on the ship?

This question has been asked and studied many times over the years on all the boards.

I think the general consensus is that all states are different. Some states, like South Carolina, all go on break at the same time. Others, like Ohio, let each district set spring break and so it can cover 6 different weeks. Add in the colleges and that pretty much covers everything from the last week in February (that is when my college had their "mid-term" break and still does) all the way until sometime after Easter. If Easter is late, then it extends into late April. A couple years ago, the school I work at was on Spring Break from April 17-24!

Best way to avoid lots of spring breakers, both college and school age, is to choose a longer cruise (9 days or more). Generally spring breaks are only a week so 7 day and less cruises are what appeals to Spring breakers.

I'm going on a cruise during the time you're talking about. (March 30th) There will be a lot of kids since many Florida schools have Spring Break that week. (I'm bringing my two children.) But, as another poster said. Camp Carnival will keep them busy.

Okay... we were going to cruise April 2nd - 6th... which it looks like there's not too many colleges on break then... like, 10?? Our ship goes to Key West and Cozumel... and, now I'm worried we're going to be absurdly surrounded by lots of young drunk college kids.... Will we? I'm thinking probably not because such few schools are on break... but, I'm wondering if we should change and sail from the 16th of April... which is after Easter.. and after all the spring breaks. Soo confused... any opinions?

Also, can someone tell me... if we cruise AFTER the spring breaks... as in.. April 16th... will our ship be dead?? No people on it?? I mean, while we don't tons of wild crazy spring breakers... we would want a decent amount of lively activity, lol.. if you know what I mean.

Also, can someone tell me... if we cruise AFTER the spring breaks... as in.. April 16th... will our ship be dead?? No people on it?? I mean, while we don't tons of wild crazy spring breakers... we would want a decent amount of lively activity, lol.. if you know what I mean.
No the ship will not be dead at all. But April 16th is still early and if you want to avoid spring breakers I would still wait a couple of weeks.

Archived