Eurdodam Dining Room Manager.....

sail7seas

Sail, my cruise log from the first cruise lists Deny Wakhyudi as the Dining Room Manager.

There were some difficulties getting our group together at adjoining tables. IIRC he was the one who finally got things straightened out for us.

I'm not surprised to hear that he left...

...Seattle set him up to fail by confirming some passengers seating arrangements and ignoring others, then leaving it to him to sort out the arrangements for unhappy passengers after we arrived aboard.

He really tried his best to make us happy and I truly hope he finds a better situation.

Hi Brian, just a point of clarification if you please; when I say "he left" I don't mean he left the company or left because he was "fed up" with the way things were run in the Rembrandt dining room (I don't know that). The schedule shows him having been assigned to Eurodam since the first week of April, more than two months prior to Eurodam's acceptance by HAL.

When he "left" Eurodam, he had been onboard for more than five months (I know, much shorter than the stewards but he's a manager) I'm thinking, with the pressure of taking out a new ship, the inauguration ceremony, all the hoopla associated with that and the many VIPs out of Rotterdam and New York City, his contract was up and he went home to the family:)

Hi Brian, just a point of clarification if you please; when I say "he left" I don't mean he left the company or left because he was "fed up" with the way things were run in the Rembrandt dining room (I don't know that). The schedule shows him having been assigned to Eurodam since the first week of April, more than two months prior to Eurodam's acceptance by HAL.

When he "left" Eurodam, he had been onboard for more than five months (I know, much shorter than the stewards but he's a manager) I'm thinking, with the pressure of taking out a new ship, the inauguration ceremony, all the hoopla associated with that and the many VIPs out of Rotterdam and New York City, his contract was up and he went home to the family:)

Ahh So - Thanks for the clarification.

Sail....

DRM as listed on our Cruise Log for 3 day out of NYC was Steven Casteels. I can only go by the Log because I never met him. We never ate in the dining room.

Hi Calm_Seas

That's correct it is currently Steven Casteels. Following our botched dinner seating on 8/30 I had a nice chat with Steven and he was able to move us to a table upstairs for late seating, a lovely spot #83 on the rail.

We had origionally been confirmed for late seating but, had instead been placed in the As You Wish section at 8 pm. It was absolute mayhem down there. Our table was right by the entrance where enormous lines were snaking in either direction. By the time the Yum Yum Man was called upon to pour coffee we knew there was something very rotten in Denmark.

We were grateful though to the fine service on Saturday night from Freddy a dining captain in the As You Wish Section. While chaos ruled in As You Wish the two meals we experienced on the upper level were superb. Iggy took great care of us on Sunday night May 31. At the Mariner Brunch we were able to snag table 83 and again were treated to excellent service.

Jonathan

Stephen Casteels is great!!

Met him on the Ryndam years ago for several cruises -- he was manager of the Pinnacle Grill then.

And we caught up with im on the Westerdam in 2005 when we was the dining room manager then.

He's on Prinsendam now

Sorry that's incorrect. Mr. Casteels left the ship on Monday. Her DRM is now Tjitra Djaja Pudja

That's unfortunate. We sailed with Steven on the Westerdam several years ago. He is always willing to go that extra mile to make sure your needs are met.

I'm sure it will change again by the time we embark in February.

Denny left - Tjitra Djaja Pudja (common spelling) is the current DRM

Hi John:

Is there anyway Tjitra could be spelled Citra? I ask only because I met a Citra Pudja onboard the Statendam back in 1999. At that time he was an Assistant Dining Room Manager and was one of the nicest and most accomplished Assistant Dining Room Managers I had ever met (well, of course there's my dear friend Kiki Basuko whom I know from way back in 1991, now a Dining Room Manager and one of the best in the fleet.)

Another one to look out for as an "up and comer" is Jaya - he was Assistant Dining Room Steward aboard the Amsterdam on the 2007 GWV and was also aboard the Amsterdam in July of 2007. I asked if he was going to be on the Amsterdam for this year's Grand Asia/Australia cruise but he said his next assignment would be the Rotterdam for the GWV. Definitely my loss and the Rotterdam passengers' gain.

It is so nice to see that these men one sees working so hard to make sure that all the passengers are happy are getting the recognition they deserve. I would have mentioned Wawan Kartawan but he was already Dining Room Manager when I first met him in 2000 and I was thrilled to see him as Dining Room Manager aboard the Amsterdam's GWV last year, he is definitely another feather in HAL's cap. I wonder if HAL knows how lucky they are to have such great employees.

Semper Fi Marine,

Valerie:)

Hi Val, you called it! Most of the Indonesian guys with the "really long names" abbreviate those to make life easier for those of us that do not speak Indonesian. Almost 100% sure that Tjitra Djaja Pudja is in fact Citra Pudja.

Kiki Basuki is currently on Oosterdam. Some more really good ones (DRM's) are long time HAL employee Arie Nieuwdorp plus Robert Ramaekers and Tri Wiyono

Semper Fi Navy wife;)

Archived