What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

What's your take on the $14.95 steak?  

2,225 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

• I'm OK with it ... as long as they keep a free steak on the menu, too.
    • It's a nice alternative for beef eaters, and I'd like to try it.
    • I like that they're offering choice, even though I would pass.
    • Dining room menus should not include for-fee items, period.
    • It's nickel and diming, but hey -- we all have to make money somehow.
    • It may be organic, but it's still a strip steak. I'm not sure it's worth $14.95!
    • Something else, which I'll post.

The real question--does RCL Corporate monitor polls on CruiseCritic.com? Or do we all need to email RCL expressing our views on this issue? Polls are fun (I also voted with the majority on this one), but I don't know that they do any good.

I don't think for-pay items should exist outside of specialty restaurants due to the potential for a slippery slope (as someone else mentioned). Desserts could definitely be next.

On the other hand, there may be nothing any of us can do about it. Would not be at all surprised to learn of a cruise line starting a tiered dining plan; where you could only order certain items off the main dining room menu based on which tier of dining plan you purchased. And once it's safe for one cruise line to do so, others will follow.

Keep the main dining room traditional. Keep the extra charge items in the Specialty restaurants.

I ate at Chops on FotS in 2006 and it was worth the price. Not just because of the food, but also the atmosphere, service, and the view. I'm glad I did it once, but I might not do it every cruise.

(As an aside, how about posting the menu for each night so that I can choose to dine in the specialty restaurants when I'm less than thrilled with the main dining room offering. On FotS, I would have eaten at Chops on a different night if I had known all the menus.)

I would cut RCCL a little slack on the ships without specialty restaurants. But even then, I would prefer that any extra charge items be on a separate page or separate menu - like a wine list.

This is the slippery slope, the foot in the door, the camel's nose in the tent. If there isn't strong resistence more items will become charge. I don't think anyone has mentioned the "L" word yet. Sooner or later they'll pinch us for that too.

I know costs are increasing, but one of the big draws for cruising has been the good meals, no prices on the menu, and no bill to pay.

Gordon

I don't get why people are so upset over it? They are trying to give you a better alternative than that hamburger meat they called steak before. If you don't want to pay for it, don't get it. Get one of the many "free" items on the menu. It's one item. Get over it. :rolleyes: Cruising is the best bargain in travel, as far as I am concerned. Like I said before, $14.95 won't break the bank. And it gives ME an option for better meat in case the people I am traveling with don't want to pay the $25 for a specialty restaurant. I hope they keep it, which they probably will. All of you said that anytime dining would not be around long, and now they are rolling it out to every ship.

Wow I agree what is next... things have changed so much in the past few years. I too do not agree with the surcharge in the MDR. If they keep adding things to the menu that they will charge for what will happen to the quality of the rest of the food on the menu?

Enough of the steak thing....you guys really need to get a life:rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more. I just have to laugh and roll my eyes at anyone who thinks this is just the end of the world, biggest tragedy ever. Wow! Some people really need to lighten up! BIG DEAL! They charge for a steak. Don't order it.

The phrase that comes to mind when I think of paying $14.95 to have a steak in the main dining room is........When pigs fly out of my.......:D

That's great. But don't you think it would be nice for those of us who like this option to have it?

It don't care about the steak, I am concerned with the precident that it sets. Just look at the poll... people are clearly cruising to get the food for free. It is one of the major draws for me and my friends to go every year.

I'm sure most of you know about the Norwegian F3 ships.... you know, the line that started free$tyle dining. Well their new ships aren't going to have dining rooms or buffets. Get ready to pay up.

If you start charging prices for items that were free in the past, it is going to creep into other items and before you know it. I cruise because fundamentally, certain things are known to be free, and it has been this way for a long time.

I will say this though, I will NEVER travel on the F3 line, or any other ship that follows in that kinda of suit. I love cruising, but I do it for the value. If I don't feel I'm getting value, I will be have to consider other forms of travel... I won't be the only one!!!

Cheers!

It don't care about the steak, I am concerned with the precident that it sets. Just look at the poll... people are clearly cruising to get the food for free. It is one of the major draws for me and my friends to go every year.

I'm sure most of you know about the Norwegian F3 ships.... you know, the line that started free$tyle dining. Well their new ships aren't going to have dining rooms or buffets. Get ready to pay up.

If you start charging prices for items that were free in the past, it is going to creep into other items and before you know it. I cruise because fundamentally, certain things are known to be free, and it has been this way for a long time.

I will say this though, I will NEVER travel on the F3 line, or any other ship that follows in that kinda of suit. I love cruising, but I do it for the value. If I don't feel I'm getting value, I will be have to consider other forms of travel... I won't be the only one!!!

Cheers!

progress.gif

I would not purchase the organic steak! My concern is what's next! $1.75 for the fries? A food surcharge for just the normal offerings?

Granted these companies need to make a profit but with the rise in fees; will the dollar value in cruising be at the breakpoint? Just in the last 12 months fuel surcharges and airline luggage fees have been added! In 2006, I went to STT for a week and loved staying on the island. I can tell you a cruise is a lot cheaper but with each add-on fee; the difference is growing smaller!

On the Millennium this past August, the third night menu did not have a beef entree. We were told that we could have the NY strip steak. I've had it on two other ships and each time it's been very tough. Even the asst. maitr d said that it was "chewy". Why should we have to "pay" for a steak that isn't "chewy"? Shoudn't good beef be served in the main dining room? I think so. And, I'm pretty sure that I will not pay for it. The steak diane in the specialy restaurant is extra good and with the service, well, I'll pay extra for that meal because it's my choice.

I just reread this and I sounded really angry. I'm not angry but I really don't feel that one should pay a fee for food in the DR.

I think you people are MISSING THE POINT! But I see that it will be impossible to get anyone to understand. They are not taking ANYTHING away from you. You will still have the free steak alternative every night on the menu. All they have done is ADD a new option for you. It is a new item, and carries a charge. You can still get your precious "free" steak every night if you like. What's wrong with new options? No one said they were implementing a charge for something that had been included. Again, they have just added a new "charge" item. I think it is a great idea.

I think you people are MISSING THE POINT! But I see that it will be impossible to get anyone to understand. They are not taking ANYTHING away from you. You will still have the free steak alternative every night on the menu. All they have done is ADD a new option for you. It is a new item, and carries a charge. You can still get your precious "free" steak every night if you like. What's wrong with new options? No one said they were implementing a charge for something that had been included. Again, they have just added a new "charge" item. I think it is a great idea.

The problem is Fitz that some who have recently returned from Freedom have reported that the free steak WASN'T on the menu... some have reported it was there but only on a couple of nights...

I know the Cruise Critic story says otherwise and maybe that is their intention (to offer the free and the pay-for steak)... but somewhere the right hand and left aren't getting to each other...

Keep in mind also that when this started, it just sort of showed up on the menu and cruisers weren't aware of it AND the free steak wasn't present on the menu...

But I agree with you... either pay for the steak you want or get the free one...

Others feel that it's simply tacky to have a price listed on the menu... and visually, it doesn't look too good...

ENOUGH WITH ALL OF THE SURCHARGES! A passenger who wants to pay extra for a steak, they should go to the the res only restaurant & leave us 'poor folk' alone.

Happy cruising!

OMG!!!! They ARE leaving you poor folk alone. The menu is exactly the same, and you still get all the options you use to have, plus one more. If you don't want to pay for that, you can still get the same old top sirloin hamburger meat that they callsteak every night. No charge there. No change. And it is nice for someone to have the option as well. What if I want a specialty steak, but no one I am traveling with wants to pay the $25? Should I go the Chops alone? Or join my friends and family in the dining room with a nice alternative to Chops? Give me a break. It doesn't affect you AT ALL!!!

I don't even like the idea of the extra charge restaurants on board as it encourages poor quality in the diningroom. Some have suggested that there are restaurants in cities that charge more, well there are restaurants that serve as good if not better steak outside the cities and they don't even charge as much as the shipboard extra charge meals. Really, in these over-priced big city fancy steak houses do they really serve a couple of thousand people a night? Do they charge you a cover charge to get in the restaurant? Do you pay for your meal and then tack on an extra 20% for the food before the tip? I just don't get it. The add on charges have degraded the service and the quality of the food. I've done the cruise thing several times and I've done the on island all-inclusive thing as well. With kids along I'd take a cruise because they have more options for families but as soon as they finish school then I'll be done with cruising unless they come up with something better than what they offer now. Cruises aren't the best buy out there, they are competitive but they can't offer the peace and quiet relaxation that say an adult all-inclusive can. And don't even get me started on the pricey crowded excursions on thier time and the added stress of returning before the ship departs...

some of the ships do not have "Chops Grills". On those ships it would be nice to get a good steak and the upcharge is not that bad. I'm booked on Explorer and was disappointed that Portofinos is the only alternative dining

(Johnny rocketss is lunch scale not "dining") I agree that for the most part dining room should be upcharge free. If the extras are offered because they have limited alternates it's acceptable. However, I hope they keep the "cow" as well.

Royal Caribbean is NOT "suppose" to be a bargain basement Cruise Line. I cannot understand why they are acting that way. If they keep up with charging for decent food in the restaurant why would anyone pay higher prices to sail on RC? Their food is starting to be just like Carnival. The "always on the Menu" oz. strip steak that they currently serve is equal to a strip steak that you would be served at a Bonanza Steak House or a Denny's Fast Food Restaurant. THIS IS NOT THE QUALITY OF FOOD THAT I EXPECT ON AN UPSCALE CRUISE LINE. The 10 oz strip steak that they are "selling" is what they should be serving for dinner WITHOUT CHARGE.

Outback Steakhouse serves a 12 oz strip steak - I do not expect to pay extra for a 10 oz strip steak on a cruise that we have already paid $3,000. for.

The last time I sailed RCCL their food and service was much worse than Carnival. We have decided to stick with Celebrity, Azamara and in between if we want a less expensive quick cruise we go with Carnival, no high expectations and nice people.

I wouldn't pay for it since there are so many other no-pay options. I do know that I will pay to go to Portifinos or Chops...so would rather wait to that point to pay for my food.

At the same time I see no reason to restrict anyone else from having a choice of their own...

not interesred in paying more in the main dining room. very tacky to even suggest this. as the airlines have gone,,,,, is this the future of crusing? might as well just install vending machines on each deck and eat chips and cold sanwiches in the room. that way you don't have to go out on formal night just to have everyone take a picture that you may not buy anyway. may decide to stay home

will pay to go to Chops if I choose

Archived