What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

What's your take on the $14.95 steak?  

2,225 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

• I'm OK with it ... as long as they keep a free steak on the menu, too.
    • It's a nice alternative for beef eaters, and I'd like to try it.
    • I like that they're offering choice, even though I would pass.
    • Dining room menus should not include for-fee items, period.
    • It's nickel and diming, but hey -- we all have to make money somehow.
    • It may be organic, but it's still a strip steak. I'm not sure it's worth $14.95!
    • Something else, which I'll post.

One of the reasons I choose cruising as my vacation is because everything except drinks and port time is included. If you search wisely cruising is so economical. However, it looks like things are starting to change. The cruise industry is just that, and industry, run by large corporations that really are not at all concerned about wether you have a good time on vacation or not. I worked for a large corporation for a long time and while they would never say it outright they spend a lot of time training people how to screw over the consumers yet in a way that it makes it seem like it is in their best interest. Yes, not only do they want to screw you over, they want you to thank them for it. Anyone who doesn't believe me may continue to live in their happy world of delusion. I'm not saying the lower employees kindness and smiles are not genuine nice people. I'm just saying that the bosses three or four rungs up the ladder are the ones making the policies and from someone who's seen it from the inside out they are not offering you that steak out of the goodness of their hearts. They are not trying to make your meal healthier, you happier, or your experience better. The decisions and changes they make have to do with one thing only, profit. If they decide they can put this out there without complete passenger outcry I am afraid what they will have us paying for next. They will add fees one at a time giving us time to get used to one before the next. It's a never ending cycle.

One of the reasons I choose cruising as my vacation is because everything except drinks and port time is included. If you search wisely cruising is so economical. However, it looks like things are starting to change. The cruise industry is just that, and industry, run by large corporations that really are not at all concerned about wether you have a good time on vacation or not. I worked for a large corporation for a long time and while they would never say it outright they spend a lot of time training people how to screw over the consumers yet in a way that it makes it seem like it is in their best interest. Yes, not only do they want to screw you over, they want you to thank them for it. Anyone who doesn't believe me may continue to live in their happy world of delusion. I'm not saying the lower employees kindness and smiles are not genuine nice people. I'm just saying that the bosses three or four rungs up the ladder are the ones making the policies and from someone who's seen it from the inside out they are not offering you that steak out of the goodness of their hearts. They are not trying to make your meal healthier, you happier, or your experience better. The decisions and changes they make have to do with one thing only, profit. If they decide they can put this out there without complete passenger outcry I am afraid what they will have us paying for next. They will add fees one at a time giving us time to get used to one before the next. It's a never ending cycle.

On our last cruise (Grandeaur-July07) we got exactly what we expected, a nice cabin with great service, breakfast, lunch, dinner , games, activities, entertainment etc. Our on-board credit card bill was ZERO. How exactly were we "screwed over" ?

Who cares if it's on the menu as long as the regular steak is still on it. It just gives people another option. I really don't see what all the uproar is about.

The operative phrase is, "as long as the regular steak is still on [the menu]." On our FOS cruise last month, the pay as you go Chops steak replaced the "regular steak" which did not appear on the menu.

Who cares if it's on the menu as long as the regular steak is still on it. It just gives people another option. I really don't see what all the uproar is about.

A) On Freedom the regular steak is not on the menu.

B) The uproar is that there is a legitimate concern that if this becomes fleet wide it will be the proverbial foot-in-the-door that will lead to all sorts of upcharges on the menu in the main dining room and the remaining free options will be the cheapest, poorest quality meals available.

We were on the Freedom of the Seas last week (9/14-21) and the "free" sirloin was not on the menu any night. On multiple nights, the only steak on the menu was the $14.95 steak. As a platinum Crown and Anchor member, it was very disappointing and not what I expect from Royal Caribbean. The information provided in the news story by Lysolqn was absolutely correct.

Thank you for confirming that; some folks over on the other $14.95 steak thread had me wondering if I had imagined the whole thing! LOL!

Some pax like the ambiance of the MDR and would prefer to have more "upscale" meals served there. If pax are willing to pay extra to eat what they wish why should there be a problem?

We all know that cruiselines are cutting back and the quality of the "free" stuff is going to suffer. If pax can afford the better cuts of meat why should they have to give up the MDR to get them?

I personally would never pay that much for steak on a cruise when I could just get it for free(let's hope they don't take that option away). I've never eaten at a specialty restaurant- I don't think you should pay extra for food that you're already getting in your cruise price. If the steak did cost $14.95 i'm sure it would be pretty good quality for being so much.

I personally would never pay that much for steak on a cruise when I could just get it for free(let's hope they don't take that option away). I've never eaten at a specialty restaurant- I don't think you should pay extra for food that you're already getting in your cruise price. If the steak did cost $14.95 i'm sure it would be pretty good quality for being so much.

It has been posted many times that the free steak option HAS been taken away on some nights. All that is available on certain nights is the $14.95 steak....and some who ordered it didn't think the quality was worth it.

My husband and I were on the Freedom August 31, 2008 and I can tell you the enter of conversation around our large table with, our table mates, many of the nights, were not positive towards displaying a charge on the dinner menu let alone charging for same. And, most were in agreeance that if RCI was going to charge $14.95 that they would rather pay the additional $5.05 or $10.05 to eat in Portinfino's or Chop's!!!!!! I heard many conversations throuighout the seven night voyage, while at the pool, in the Solarium and even in the Spa as to the charge! Tastless and Tacky!!!

We love cruising and for the most part it has and still is a very cost effective vacation where you get to experience new areas and cultures in different places as opposed to staying in one place all the time. The more the cruise lines keep adding extras with a price it is going to fast become a not so great deal. My husband and I watch every penny we spend and allow for a little extra on board but please, cruise lines don't keep making it cost more by adding extra fees for this and that.

The Dining Room is just that; a place that you have previously paid for your meal with your cruise ticket purchase and fuel surcharge, port fees, taxes, TA surcharge, insurance, transfers, plane fares, car storage. Does the picture seem clear.

Crusing is an all inclusive form of vacationing; it's just on a ship. If the menu as not affected, but like a wine menu, you can then offer all food items you wish to charge for in the Dining room for each meal.(Rotel Dip, Mountain Oysters, Veal Picatta, Real Coffee, Real Iced Tea.) Can you imagine where this could go.. Please. Open a new speaciality restaurant, Natural Place for those that prefer organic meals and leave the rest alone.

The Menu aboard RCCL ships is nearly the same as it was on the first ship I boarded minus the Gala buffet. I would appreciate some new entrees with new flavors. The chefs tend to serve a more European flavor than the fares we enjoy traveling in the USA. Also, the fish entrees and not as good as Princess serves. That fried grouper that has been cooked for hours is the absolute worse to me. I am sure that others love it.. YUK>>>>

When we now read that our water bottles by be checked for alcohol and that we may be denied boarding for bringing aboard contraband: snickers, water, cokes, beer, vodka.. OMG>>>>>>> It seems that maybe your prices are no longer in line with those you ask to cruise.. I

I love RCCL and have booked the Oasis in 2010.

Some pax like the ambiance of the MDR and would prefer to have more "upscale" meals served there. If pax are willing to pay extra to eat what they wish why should there be a problem?

We all know that cruiselines are cutting back and the quality of the "free" stuff is going to suffer. If pax can afford the better cuts of meat why should they have to give up the MDR to get them?

OOOOOkay...let's take your idea that "'free' stuff is going to suffer" to the extreme. I guess you'd have no problem if the cruise line decides to cut back on cabin service. Those who can afford to have their cabins cleaned twice a day will pay, while those who can't afford it will have to deal with, shall we say, a less "upscale" experience. After all, if pax are willing to pay extra for a clean and tidy cabin, why should there be a problem?

I think it is a great idea. The "free" steak they serve is usually horrible, and this gives a nice alternative. I think it's funny that people say cruising is expensive as it is. Cruising is the cheapest vacation i know of. Liquor, food, etc. All cheap. $14.95 is not going to break the bank.

Since we started cruising in 1984 I have noticed a decline in food service. "Back in the old days" the menu choices were creative. The cruise lines seemed to take pride in food. They even let us take the menus home so that we could savor the memories of the great food.

Now, at least on RCI, the menus are the same from year to year and the emphasis of fine dining is gone. Personally, I am totally against charging for any food in the dining room. I don't care for the alternative restaurants but at least they are in a different part of the ship and it is purely voluntary to go pay for a meal.

i voted for the no charge dining in the dining room. I think it is funny that this is now "organic", but not served in Chops, nor prepared by a Chops cook/chef. It is very telling that on these same ships they decided to test the chocolate waters. Only JS and up get chocolates, then everyone else has none. Apparently the "steerage" class was lucky to have chocolates at all. The candies are not the best quality chocolate, but people do enjoy them. If this were just an offering of choices, then where is the chocolate choice? This is really bad customer service. Any company that sells anything must have repeat business to survive. What will entice the first timers when the food & service is mediocre? What will entice me, a crown and anchor member to return, when clearly the quality of the line is eroding? I just want to be taken care of. I don't want to balance my checkbook at the end of the day.

I really believe that the food in the MDR should continue to be included in the price of the cruise. If they want to offer higher quality organic beef, that's great! But either offer it free or put it in the specialty restaurants.

Dorie

I'm a vegetarian. I don't eat steak. But, I couldn't imagine paying for the extra $14.95 then taking two bites because your full. :eek: At least if I ate steak, that's what I probably would do. I noticed that the menu seemed a lot cheaper on our last cruise onboard Mariner of the Seas in July 2008. They offered about three spaghetti dishes each night and a vegetarian dish. The vegetarian dish usually had too much spice with a ton of curry. I noticed an increase in vegetarian options. I'm vegetarian. I didn't care for most of them. Most were weird and had way too many spices on them. I got plain spaghetti with tomato sauce or a baked potato each night. It was fine for me. Who knows what they will charge for next? Organic Chocolate Cake maybe? :p

ENOUGH WITH SURCHARGES !!!!

Cruising is expensive enough not to add extra costs to dinner

Please do not create "haves"and Have-nots "at dinner .

Those who want to pay extra need to go to Alternative dining

STOP NICKEL AND DIMING !!!

Leave steak dinner alone ...my carnivorous son loves the regular sirloin

I wish cruise lines would stop "selling "extras ...just give them to us

Seriously, I'm with mmemichele; why would the Line try out an Organic, For Fee Steak in the Main Dining Room? Why would this not be done in the Chops Steakhouse instead?? This makes no sense whatsoever. Being a HUGE RCCL fan, I'm both surprised and disappointed. Granted, nobody needs to order this steak, but honestly, this just seems like a way for to make an extra buck. While I am all for that, it's things like this that put people off cruising. What's next, a 100% for fee dining room?

Pardon my "french" but screw you Royal Caribbean! I've sailed with them numerous times, and have another trip set to go, but I don't like the idea of "for fee" options in the main dining room. I willingly pay for the fancy restaurant upgrade once or twice a cruise - which has ALWAYS been well worth the extra bucks on RCCL (don't get me started on the trash we had on Princess ... they should know better!) - but that's where it needs to end. All meals in the main dining room should be included in the fees we already pay. We pay extra for cocktails and wine - that's the way it has always been on the intermediate class of lines - so fine. (Want free booze? Pony up another $2k each for one of the other boats. Personally, I drink like a fish, but not $2k worth ... )

They have to charge a fuel surcharge - most of us get that. But don't start finding "creative" ways to add fees to our trip. Most of us work hard. We want to be able to budget for our cruise and not get "plussed-up" at every turn of the corner.

Archived