What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

What's your take on the $14.95 steak?  

2,225 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

• I'm OK with it ... as long as they keep a free steak on the menu, too.
    • It's a nice alternative for beef eaters, and I'd like to try it.
    • I like that they're offering choice, even though I would pass.
    • Dining room menus should not include for-fee items, period.
    • It's nickel and diming, but hey -- we all have to make money somehow.
    • It may be organic, but it's still a strip steak. I'm not sure it's worth $14.95!
    • Something else, which I'll post.

. . . It cheapens the experience of dining there and leaves the impression that if you don't pay up you are merely receiving average food. . . One of the pleasures of cruising is ordering whatever you want off the menu and not worrying about the cost.

My sentiments exactly. It seems the lines are finding more and more and more ways to upcharge. :( This subtly suggests that those who forego extra charges are missing something, and does cause one to question whether the quality of "regular" food and service will be reduced (I have read several opinions by CCer's that service in the regular dining room has deterioriorated since the advent of the premium restaurants.)

I personally would like to go back to the earlier days of (almost) all-inclusive (I don't object to charging extra for alcohol - those who don't drink or who drink in moderation shouldn't have to pay for those who overindulge - I don't like the "carousing" atmosphere created by unlimited alcohol policies)

i love beef. although, i think i would skip the sirloin for 14.95. i agree with previous posts that you would spend more for this cut at a premium steak house,however, at the premium steak house you get what you ask for (ie rare,medium...) and it is served promptly. that is not always the case on a cruise.

Although I understand RCL needs to find ways to cut costs and increase sales, I do not like the route of charging for select dishes in the main dining room. It cheapens the experience of dining there and leaves the impression that if you don't pay up you are merely receiving average food. I am fine with the concept of specialty restaurants, but not with specialty fee items in the main dining room. If this becomes widespread on Royal Caribbean it would cause me to hesitate to sail with them. One of the pleasures of cruising is ordering whatever you want off the menu and not worrying about the cost.

I was on Celebrity's Millenium in August to Alaska. The service in the dinning room was terrible. The menu had a lot of pasta and cheap stuff on it. When we ordered steaks, they brought steaks that wouldn't pass Sizzlor's inspectors. It was so bad that is was funny. We all looked at them and then at eachother and started laughing ---- before we sent them back.

It is average food. In fact it is below average. And, soon they will charge for admission to the clubs. If we don't let the cruise lines no in unconditional terms that we will not pay these charges, we will end up paying for everything we do on a cruise. Cruising will never be the same.

Remember these are corporations that just look a the bottom line. Celebrity turned off the airconditioning several times when I needed it just to save some fuel. I will never take one of their ships again. I made that clear to them. That is the only type of thing they understand besides posts here.

You know, I thought the whole allure to cruising was the "all-inclusive" nature to the price of the cruise. Because when you back-to-back compare a simple trip to the beach for the same amount of time stayed, accounting for hotel, meals, etc., a cruise can be quite cost-effective. When you start including all of the extra charges, despite the attractive itineraries, cruising starts to lose it's edge. Nobody wants to get on board and have additional fees everywhere they go... shoot, the bar tabs tend to be enough to run me dry :)

Are we kidding here? First, there will be a single item on the menu for an extra charge. If that flies, and it seems to be, then they will charge for "better" desserts, then the veggies, potatoes and rice will be ala carte with an extra charge. And, then, voila, there will be no more "included" meals. And, the next step, is pay by the kilo or pound in the Lido.:mad:

Wake up people, this is the first move to try to get you to pay for your meals entirely and the cruise fare will only cover your room. Remember when port charges, taxes and fees were all included? Now they're not and your still paying the same big fee for a cruise, PLUS all the extras now, including fuel surcharges.

Give me a break, Royal Caribbean, this is a sneaky first step ploy to rake in more cash for your coffers. Anyone seen the stock price lately?

Just returned from Jewel of Seas Trans-Atlantic cruise. At least 3 people at our table had steak almost every night! My husband being one of them. If people keep eating like this on cruise ships, we won't have any choice on the menu. Surcharge or not! Steak, Salmom, and Chicken. No lobster. I found the menu very repetitive and boring. I like to eat different things everynight.

Corporate Greed is running rampant!!!! The day I have to start paying in the main Dining Room, is the day I stop sailing that specific line. Enough is Enough!!!:eek: As it is, I have not had a decent steak in the main Dining Room for the last couple of years. Now, they want me to pay extra for the honor of being able to chew it!!!!! If their profits are hurting now, see what happens when they push their customers too far.:eek: Glad I sold my stock at a profit when I did.

I think this is just the beginning of the nickel and dime way the airlines have gone to. If they start charging for a steak and can get it, the quality of the "free steak" will decrease. If they begin getting money for a steak to get a "good one" then the next thing you know, it will be lobster or something else there is an additional charge for and soon the "all-inclusive" lifestyle which is so attractive about the cruise will be no longer.

So you want to charge a $15 premium on a steak? great.. do it at CHOPS!

People are already willing to pay $25 to eat there.. maybe they will pay $40 for the special organic cut of beef.

What is the first thing people say when you go on a cruise? The Never Ending FOOD! Cruise lines already charge you for everything as an a la carte.. and they dang nearly annoy you with their photos everywhere you turn.. plus the ridiculous priced liquor and wine.. those we have already accepted as the norm and pay... If this 'surcharge' is allowed for steak.. it won't be long that the more and more food in the main dining will be come surcharges.

If RCCL is losing money, they need to re think their business plan or rethink their operation... trying to imitate what the Airline is doing is not going to bode well in the long run for cruising industry as a whole!:mad:

I agree with the other replies.

IF RCL gets away with this, then yet another precedent has been set

and other cruise lines are probably anxiously waiting to follow their example.

Just look at how fast all the airlines jumped on that surcharge for checked luggage.

Cruisers have got to draw the line somewhere, and just NOT order additional-cost items in the regular dining room. (just say no)

Alternate dining room is an acceptable way of presenting their

new "organic" option steak.

"RC started the additional charges with Johnny Rockets which started out free. Added speciality resturants and now want to charge additonal money in the main dining rooms. We decided long ago cruising was best vacations to take. However with the cruise lines charging for more and more it becomes questionable. Will we soon have to pay for a deck chair.

I'd rather pay a few dollars more for the cruise and have corn fed beef on the dining room menu anyway. I think everyone is missing the point here about quality food being included in the price of the cruise. This is just another venture by the marketing folks at RCI to figure out how to generate more revenue.

I would like to guarantee a few things to all of you:

1. There is no "free steak" in the main dining room. You have paid for that steak in your cruise fare.

2. If this works to RCCL's satisfaction, they will expand the program.

3. In order to "encourage" you to participate, the quality of the standard menu choices will decrease.

I voted "nice that they offer an alternative, but I'd pass".

I guess if I was big on steak (which I'm not), I'd appreciate the opportunity to have a nice-er steak choice while still sitting amongst my dinnertable mates. After ten cruises, my husband and I have never eaten at a speciality dining restaurant. We've always looked at their menus and wanted to try it, but nothing ever appealed to us enough to make us want to eat there. I LOVE italian food, but even the italian-themed restaurants' menus don't get my attention.

People who don't want to be nickeled-and-dimed can pass if they want -- and those that don't mind paying "a little extra" for something "a little better" can do that, too.

It's your vacation - do what the heck you want!!

Robin G

Couple of thoughts on this -- First, it may be organic but the rest of the options aren't, right? As an individual who prefers organic food, I'm not willing to pay the price for an organic steak only to have the health benefits of eating that one organic entree negated by the remainder of the food available. Second, I agree there should not be any "for-fee" items offered in the dining room.

Someone in the RCCL business dept must be trying to reduce food costs. You can only do this by (1) charging more or (2) offering less. Having been on several Royal cruises this year, i can certainly tell you that portion sizes are steadily decreasing. Scallop appetizer has less scallop. Fillet of beef entrée had two thin slices of meat. Used to have 3 thick slices. Even fish entrées had smaller portions. Desserts are being cut back too. People will notice the changes and I'm afraid it just goes to lessen the overall 'cruise experience.' I know times are hard, but i would rather they just charged a little more for my cruise, and give us all the 'fine dining' we have come to enjoy...... included.;)

Really, I don't see a bit of a problem when they cut back on the size of the portion. If the Scallop appetizer has less scallops order two appetizers. You can order 2 of everything if you want. Problem solved.

Thank you ALL for sharing your opinions -- I've enjoyed reading through and find the poll results very interesting as well.

Royal Caribbean has issued a small correction to the information we received from them on the steaks. So to clarify, I'm posting it here as well as updating our news item: The always available sirloin is a 7-ounce Black Angus steak -- the new, for-fee, 10-ounce New York strip steak is simply organic (not organic AND Black Angus).

We still haven't received copies of the menus from the two test ships in order to confirm that both choices are indeed printed there.

Royal Caribbean has issued a small correction to the information we received from them on the steaks. So to clarify, I'm posting it here as well as updating our news item: The always available sirloin is a 7-ounce Black Angus steak -- the new, for-fee, 10-ounce New York strip steak is simply organic (not organic AND Black Angus).
They also neglected to tell you that the 7-ounce Black Angus steak is USDA Quality Grade Select. Not Choice, and certainly not Prime.

The rising cost of oil and torubles with the economy are the very reason that Royal Caribbean needs to find new ways to nickle and dime us. I just don't think that charging extras for certain foods in the main dining room is the way to go. Royal Caribbean is not having difficulty filling their ships, they are however experiencing decreased profits due to much higher expenses (mainly because of oil) as well as people spending less money once on board. They have actively been implementing cost cutting strategies (i.e. adjusting itinineraries to allow the ships to sail at a slower pace and therefore burn less fuel) as well as revenue increasing measures. In general I think that they have been doing a fairly good job doing this extremely unpleasant task, but I am keeping my fingers crossed they decide to not charge extra money for food in the main dining room.

Gonzo70 - A major reason that RCL chooses to nickel-and-dime us (I disagree that the company needs to) is to finance building the behemoth Oasis ships. No reason why today's cruisers should lose amenities in order to build ships for tomorrow customers. None whatsoever.

Also, beware - once this steak thing goes through, the suits on Caribbean Way are going to gouge every dime out of us in the MDR - through entrees, desserts, appetizers. And who knows what other amenities they're going to start charging for on what were once all-inclusive cruises.

There's just NO reason for customers to accept this willingly. You can bet the overpaid execs from Caribbean Way hope we will, but informed consumers must be a lot smarter than that.

End the RCL "pay-per-entree" scam

Say NO to Fain

I feel that there are other avenues the cruiseline can use for extra charges if it is necessary for their business "survival" in this economy, but additional charges in the MDR should not be one of them.

One of the attractions of cruising was, that since payments are made in advance, once you walk onto the ship - unless you want an excursion, special dinner or a martini (or 6:eek: ) everything was paid for. For those of us that can justify anything (having cake just because you lived through a Tuesday :D ) the vacation was essentially "free"!

JMHO

I am not as worried about the "nickles and dimes" as I am about the "baby steps"... it is one more small step away from the "all inclusive" vacation. Next, maybe the only free meals are in the windjammer... then after a while the Windjammer becomes more like your local $4.99 Chinese buffet...

If we stop those first steps we cant get to the later ones.

Comment Cards folks!

Archived