What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

What's your take on the $14.95 steak?  

2,225 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

• I'm OK with it ... as long as they keep a free steak on the menu, too.
    • It's a nice alternative for beef eaters, and I'd like to try it.
    • I like that they're offering choice, even though I would pass.
    • Dining room menus should not include for-fee items, period.
    • It's nickel and diming, but hey -- we all have to make money somehow.
    • It may be organic, but it's still a strip steak. I'm not sure it's worth $14.95!
    • Something else, which I'll post.

Royal Caribbean is NOT "suppose" to be a bargain basement Cruise Line. I cannot understand why they are acting that way. If they keep up with charging for decent food in the restaurant why would anyone pay higher prices to sail on RC? Their food is starting to be just like Carnival. The "always on the Menu" oz. strip steak that they currently serve is equal to a strip steak that you would be served at a Bonanza Steak House or a Denny's Fast Food Restaurant. THIS IS NOT THE QUALITY OF FOOD THAT I EXPECT ON AN UPSCALE CRUISE LINE. The 10 oz strip steak that they are "selling" is what they should be serving for dinner WITHOUT CHARGE.

Outback Steakhouse serves a 12 oz strip steak - I do not expect to pay extra for a 10 oz strip steak on a cruise that we have already paid $3,000. for.

The last time I sailed RCCL their food and service was much worse than Carnival. We have decided to stick with Celebrity, Azamara and in between if we want a less expensive quick cruise we go with Carnival, no high expectations and nice people.

What does what you paid for the cruise have to do with anything? I paid $450 per night for 10 nights on Maui last year, not including air, and that included no meals. Most vacations don't. I agree that the alternative "free" steak should be of better quality. But it has not been good for as long as we have been cruising. The new option is nice. I like it. Would I be happier if that was just the free alternative? Yes. But it's not, and I can deal with that.

After paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a cruise, I have to say I'm a little horrified by the idea that RCL can't afford to feed passengers a nice steak in the dining room.

Why are you horrified??? Morton's, Ruths' Chris, all the major "upscale" chain steakhouses have or will be by the end of the year - raising their menu prices... restaurants hate to raise their menu prices, but they do so when the product becomes more expensive for them to purchase - which it has... Please don't tell me you expect filet mignon in the My Fair Lady dining room of a Royal Caribbean ship... that's a WHOLE other ball of wax... the food cost per passenger is something like $12pp/pd (last I heard)... that doesn't get you Oyster's Rockefeller...

THIS IS NOT THE QUALITY OF FOOD THAT I EXPECT ON AN UPSCALE CRUISE LINE.

Most on here would telll you that RC is NOT an upscale cruise line... that would be Crystal, or Regent, or the like... RC is and has been for a while - a mass-market cruiseline directly competing with the likes of Carnival... don't let the "Royal" confuse you... so in a sense, you are right... If I got RC food on a Crystal ship... I would be PISSED... but for what RC is, the food is right about on par with what's to be expected... although steadily declining...

Let's also not forget that while you (and others) may spend thousands to cruise on RC... many of us don't... I sure don't...

If RC is having problems because of Oil prices, then what are the fuel surcharges doing. They already get extra for the oil prices. And when the price of oil dropped they did not lower the fuel surcharges. The reason they have all these extra charges, is because they try to make the adverage person think that the cruise price is low as compared to other vacation locations.

Then they tack on as much extra as they can. Are you being fooled by this? When you figure out the price of a cruise make sure you count all the extras you will be paying.

The pendulum will turn someday and the cruise lines will be crying for all the customers who they turned off with this foolishness.

:confused:

If RC is having problems because of Oil prices, then what are the fuel surcharges doing. They already get extra for the oil prices. And when the price of oil dropped they did not lower the fuel surcharges. The reason they have all these extra charges, is because they try to make the adverage person think that the cruise price is low as compared to other vacation locations.

Then they tack on as much extra as they can. Are you being fooled by this? When you figure out the price of a cruise make sure you count all the extras you will be paying.

The pendulum will turn someday and the cruise lines will be crying for all the customers who they turned off with this foolishness.

:confused:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Wow! In case you haven't noticed, our economy sucks right now. Everything is more expensive, not just fuel. From milk, to meat, to rice! All more that it ever has been. All of this affects the cruise industry as well. The fuel charge has nothing to do with this.

I am glad that you think oil prices are low enough for them to lower the fuel surcharge. Another dumb comment. In case you also never noticed, 4-5 years ago oil was between $26-$36 a barrel. A far cry from the almost $160 a barrel it was at. RCI waited as long as they could until they inplemented a fuel charge. You are lucky it was not added earlier. With oil down to $90 a barrel now, it is still at record highs. Not sure what makes you think they should lower/eliminate the charge. Oil is expected to rise again over then next few months. And just wait until after the election!

Really, everything that you said had no basis in fact. I can't believe you even said it. :rolleyes:

Very sad but one more indication that RCI is in financial trouble. I say this as a Diamond member and stockholder. But, we have seen a trend with RCI over the past couple of years that does not bode well for the company. There have been cut-backs in on-board staff, entertainment budgets, elimination of lobster on some cruises, lay-offs in the corporate office, etc etc. Since we really like this line (we also cruise regularly on many other lines) we hope this is all coincidence and does not have any real meaning for the future. But, some wise folks that like to study corporate behavior might suspect that this line has overextended itself with ambitious expansion projects. Hopefully this is not true, but its sure hard to ignore the increasing evidence.

Hanki

Wow, you are severely misinformed. The fuel surcharges do not pay for the fuel - they merely help offset some of the increased expense Royal Caribbean has incurred by the rapid increase in fuel prices the past couple of years. The increase of oil has also caused a significant increase in food prices as well as commodity prices (raising the price for them to build and maintain ships). These extra charges are to help them remain a viable company. They are doing their best to maintain an enjoyable cruising experience while trimming some fat and raising some costs. No, they are not doing a perfect job at this and yes it is unpleasant to have to pay extra fees here and there and witness some cuts in service, but overall I think they are handling the current economic crisis quite impressively.

One of the basic appeals of crusing is that you are on a classless ship. Everyone get the same, and the same that everyone gets is first-rate. Clearly this concept is slipping away. I can see that certain celebs or people famous for some reason might need private villas with their own sun deck, so that the rest of us don't drive them crazy. I don't see that we need "better" restaurants for a fee. The result is worse food in the general dining area so that passengers will be driven to the "speciality" restaurants. But odious as that is, putting extra fee items on the regular dining menu is the beginning of the end of the one-price pays for all cruise.

If we had a passengers organization perhaps we could counter with this: you reduce the fare by $14.95 per day, and put the steak on the menu at that price, and those who want it will pay for it.

I think this is a very poor idea for the industry. Remember the goose that laid the golden egg.

While I love to cruise if the price grows too much so that only the rich can cruise then we will have to find somewhere else to spend our vacations. First it was the speciality restaurant, then fuel surcharges, increasing base prices, larger ships (probably greater profits like McDonalds), more charges, mandatory tipping, etc. etc.

If it gets too expensive then fewer will cruise, and the rich will enjoy empty ships to sail on.

My first and only experience with RCCL was a cross ocean trip in April of 2008 from Galveston to Barcelona. I felt I was "nickled and dimed" by RCCL several times. I never felt this way on other cruise line ships. If you go back to my review I also mentioned the steaks on Voyager of the Seas were never prepared as ordered. Is this again going to be the case for thier "organic" steaks?

:(

I am afraid this is just an foot in the door to start charging for the amazing food in the dining room. I also fear that once in the door it will work to engulf the room, eventually making the buffet the only inclusive dining. Of course if your on a Holland cruise that is not so bad, their buffet is amazing.

As a vegetarian, I don't appreciate the extra meat entrees.

However the price is fine with me, as it will maybe encourage people to select another item from the menu!

I see. So you're OK with the surcharge as long as it's not what you eat... and the added cost promotes your social agenda? Good grief.

First, what's the big deal with "corn-fed" beef? Since cows aren't really meant to eat corn, and you'd get a much more flavorful and less fatty cut if it was GRASS fed, wouldn't that be something better to brag about? It's still going to be feed lot beef.

I guess I don't care so much about that since I'm vegan...but it does seem wrong to charge extra for menu items in the dining room. Like, it's part of your nice, pampered, all-inclusive experience that you can go to the dining room and get something really great to eat without worrying about how much it's going to cost you.

I prefer to eat all organic food when possible, and it wouldn't be very nice if anything organic was going to cost me extra.

What they are saying to us is that the steak they have on the regular menu isn't worth having. This is what I have been saying for years. They seem to know very little about preparing beef.

If they can come up with good beef at Chops and Portifinas why not in the dinning room and it shouldn't have to be at an additional cost!!!!!!

Have been loyal to ROyal Caribbean, but they are trying my patience.

Mocorobabe

It puts a REAL bad taste in my mouth.

We should protest now, else, they will continue this trend.

If they continue to move the GOOD FOOD to the specialty restaurants, they will be handling out food bags to the rest of us in the main dining room.

Unless you buy up and fork out.

No thanks!

It is true, there are specialty restuarants on board. And pax rushed to make sure they got reservations for them.

Many of us have lamented the dumbing down of food in the MDR as well as the allowed dress, etc. We also have been told, by a good number on this board that we were "old school".."dinosaurs" and other things and that we had better "get with it" about the new style of cruising. Those who criticized those of us that have cruised for years and who missed what cruising used to be can now join our crowd.

Many times when it was suggested that pax use the Windjammer if they didn't want to dress properly for dinner those pax said that they paid to eat in the MDR and would do so dressed as they liked. Fine.

Why should pax who are willing to pay for better cuts of meat or better entrees be relegated to a specialty restaurant? Specialties have limited seating and could be viewed as "elitist". What is the difference if pax want to eat in the MDR, as they are entitled, and want to pay more for something other than what is offered "free"?

I find it amusing that many of the same pax that argued that allowing smuggling didn't impact the bottom line on cruiseships and that allowing pax to dress down in the MDR wouldn't impact service or food quality are some of the same who are now screaming like scalded cats about an extra cost steak.

For the record I didn't like it when specialty restaurants were introduced. I knew that would be an excuse to dumb down food quality in the MDR. When I stated my concerns I was told to mind my own business. I and others said that this was just a precursor to other pay as you go venues on cruiseships. Turns out we "dinosaurs" were right.:p

My concern is that eventually it would be another "measurement" of the dining room staff.. as it is they are "expected" to sell wine... and there are perks based on these sales. There is so much "selling" going on on the ship... the dining room was a nice place to just relax. I don't want to be "sold" anything for that hour or so. And what might be next.... a "wonderful" dessert... for just $5.99. In my opinion the waiter and assistant have enough to do to keep their tables happy... without adding additional duties (more selling).... they work for tips! That is a tough job and doesn't need more pressure/duties.

I wonder if we'll be able to pay extra to get hot, fresh vegetables instead of the limp, luke warm ones they often serve?:eek:

We visit the specialty restaurants 2-3 times on each cruise and gladly pay the surcharge, but it's not just for the higher quality food. A more intimate environment and better service from more experienced waiters are key value propositions of the applicable surcharge.

I too am concerned with the suggestion of paying $14.95 just for a different piece of meat in the main dining room. Not so much with the price attached to the item but the precedent it sets.

If you pick up just about any cruise brochure, or read any of the cruise line websites, the "all-inclusive" nature of the holiday is a major selling feature. I took my first cruise about 12 years ago and have since taken over 20 cruises, and it seems with each cruise there is something else to pay for onboard. I would rather they charge a few hundred dollars extra on the cruise fare and once again include all the items that are now becomming extras.

I feel cruising still represents a great value holiday, I would just rather pay for it all up front and not be presented with contstant upsells once onboard.

Archived