Thank God for Homeland Security!!

Coolmama_1

Patti63

Doesn't N.J. require a picture on their driver's license? Just curious.

Yes - when your renew and you need to bring alot of information with you at that time. I'm not due for another renewal for 2 years. But aside from this -- isn't it a bit scary that the people we've trusted with our security don't recognize a federal enforcement ID with security clearance? Does make you wonder

It sure does make sense to obtain a passport and keep it current. It overcomes all the other issues of what to use if you leave your driver's license at home.

With some countries you need to show citizenship which can be done with a passport, birth certificate or voter's registration card, but the only one of those which gives photo identification is the passport.

Living as close to Canada as we do and my spending a lot of time there on business, I keep my passport with me at all times (just in case I want to jump on a cruise to whereever...). It takes all the mystery out of what citizenship you are and who you are.

We went to Las Vegas shortly after 9/11. My purse was stolen out of the trunk of our rental car. grrrr...

Anyway, the police told me that if I had a copy of their report I should have no trouble at the airport. Well, I was taken into a separate area, frisked and interrogated about the situation. They insisted I had to have a picture ID to board the plane,otherwise we would end up driving back to Wisconsin. I called my assistant at work who faxed a copy of my drivers license from my file. The picture was for the most part, black, as it was a fax of a copy. They were satisfied with this and let me board! It could have been anybody! I thought they just weren't used to handling these situations yet, but it doesn't sound like it has gotten much better ;)

Since I'm probably the only person in the States who doesn't have a Costco card, what type of ID is required to get one? Now THAT could be interesting.

I think when I went to get mine, I had to show them a photo ID (driver's license). I doubt that they would have accepted a Sam's Club card, though. :D

I live in Olathe Ks, and took the opportunity to vote early last week, we went to the election office, filled out a piece of paper with my birthdate and address, gave it to a woman behind a desk, who verified the person on the paper I turned in was registered, and said just see the man down at the end for your ballot. The entire time I had my voter registration card and drivers license in my hand, but never got asked for it. Seems a bit strange, but they did not ask anyone else from my workplace for ID either. Concerns me a bit.

The only thing I do is walk in, give my name and address, they find in in a ledger and I sign. I've never seen them even glance at the signiture. Never really thought about it before but homefully, they'll be more diligent this time around.

Well - actually your commercial customs types are notorious; BUT, when I was a Great Lakes kiddo the entire Windsor/Niagara/Point Pellee thing was a "Howdy How Ya Doin'? - Have a Nice Day!" sort of thing. Things have changed...

The heroes of Dieppe haven't,

Maybe tomorrow we'll match their character (It'll take a change).

Best Regards,

The reason I fly with a passport, even just domestic flights, is the TN Driver's License I have. They're considered worthless by any security divisions. You do NOT have to present a Social Security Card, or anything else proving you are an American Citizen. Just anything with your name and address will do. We started getting hassled quite a bit in airports due to that, and just started carrying our passports all the time. Makes life easier.

Of course, If only I had known that a Sam's or Costco card would have saved me all this trouble...

...but once, in my days of bar-hopping, we left one and went to another - one where "they were very strict, wouldn't let you in if you were *drunk*".... put on my best game face, and presented my ID for entrance - my Blockbuster Movie store card!

Mtnbikr, you know they've decided NOT to issue ID to anyone who wants it now, right? It seems a lot of people were making $$ bringing people in for licenses, before the state closed that gaping loophole! I think now they issue driving permits - not for identification. Even with the previous law, the employees at my state office required 44 separate ID's and a pint of blood, if they didn't like the way you look! Okay, no, but they do selectively follow their own rules - my FIL hadn't had a drivers license in 10+ years, he provided his id and the inspector told him he looked like he knew how to drive, issued the license without the driving test! Geesh!!

I have a client who was on the 10/2 Caribbean Princess. When she got to the airport in Nashville, she discovered that she left her driver's license at home. Not only did she get through the Nashville airport, she also got through the Ft Lauderdale airport, on to the ship and through US customs with her SAMS CARD!!. I can see it now.. Orange Alert!! Get out the Sam's Card:D :D

The funny thing was on her return trip they stayed at a motel in Florida that was very seedy and probably rented by the hour. They wouldn't take her Sam's card as ID and she had to go get her husband to show a driver's license.:D

One of these things is not like the others,

One of these things just doesn't belong,

Can you tell which thing is not like the others? Before I ???

If you follow the cash/visa trail, everyone along the way had either had a paper trail for the monies or could prove that it was in the computer pipeline. Except for the clerk at the seedy hotel. :cool: They rented by the hour/day, and I would assume were pushing for them to buy a roll of quarters for the vibrating bed.No bread no bed. :D

Steve

recently travelled thru bos logan airport on aa, as our hand bagage was being doubled checked a lady walked through the the exit only route, a tsa officer noticed this and told his collegue there was a security breach, the other officer shrugged his sholders ....the lady kept on walking no security check on her , your thoughts

This is a little off topic, but is an amusing ID story. A few years back, we were in a restaurant inland in Maine. Two young couples came in and wanted to have a drink with their dinner. They were tourists from overseas and had passports. The server wouldn't accept the passports as proof of age. She pointed to a sign on the wall that said "Driver's License Required." They became disgusted and left the restaurant.

Archived