Thank God for Homeland Security!!

Coolmama_1

I have a client who was on the 10/2 Caribbean Princess. When she got to the airport in Nashville, she discovered that she left her driver's license at home. Not only did she get through the Nashville airport, she also got through the Ft Lauderdale airport, on to the ship and through US customs with her SAMS CARD!!. I can see it now.. Orange Alert!! Get out the Sam's Card:D :D

The funny thing was on her return trip they stayed at a motel in Florida that was very seedy and probably rented by the hour. They wouldn't take her Sam's card as ID and she had to go get her husband to show a driver's license.:D

Unbelievable story !!!

Do you think my Costco card would work? :D

I bet it would. I lost my driver's license a few weeks ago. Although I went to get a replacement, for now I just have the paper copy (with no photo)while I wait for the new license to come in the mail. Stores in my area often ask for photo IDs when one uses a visa or mastercard. Each time I give a clerk my temp license, they ask for something with a picture. The only thing I have is my Costco card and it has been working like a charm.

Okay, think about this. I go to the airport and they ask for picture ID. I take out my Federal Enforcement Officer Credentials (which has my picture and required an extensive backround check-- FBI, I believe. Oh, and yes, I have Department of Defense Security Clearance albeit low level). Airport check-in tells my they don't accept this type of ID which I know they do. Instead, they ask for me for my NJ State Driver's License -- the same license some of the 9/11 highjackers used!!! Not having a picture on my driver's licence, they won't ticket me so I now have to get a supervisor to look over my Federal ID. She's completely baffled and asked for my NJ Driver's License. She gets another Supervisor who thinks my Fed ID is probably good but she's not sure. After looking at the non-picture NJ Lincense and rejecting the Fed. ID, I'm good to go! Hum.

Okay, think about this. I go to the airport and they ask for picture ID. I take out my Federal Enforcement Officer Credentials (which has my picture and required an extensive backround check-- FBI, I believe. Oh, and yes, I have Department of Defense Security Clearance albeit low level). Airport check-in tells my they don't accept this type of ID which I know they do. Instead, they ask for me for my NJ State Driver's License -- the same license some of the 9/11 highjackers used!!! Not having a picture on my driver's licence, they won't ticket me so I now have to get a supervisor to look over my Federal ID. She's completely baffled and asked for my NJ Driver's License. She gets another Supervisor who thinks my Fed ID is probably good but she's not sure. After looking at the non-picture NJ Lincense and rejecting the Fed. ID, I'm good to go! Hum.

Oh now I really feel safe !

:eek:

Hi, Pattie,

I have the same problem. I used to have a Pink I.D. Since I retired, I now have a Grey I.D. (grey for the hair??) :eek:

USNR (retired) - with my photo in B&W. On the Pink I.D., it was in colour. I use it in the stores just for harrassment purposes. ;)

Well, it makes sense to use the club cards. You DID pay more for it than you did for your driver's license.

The Fed I.D. was free (no, it cost me 20 years of weekend warrior-ing).

Peter Greenburg has a whole dictionary of what the TSA stands for, among which:

Taking Scissors Away :p

Thousands Standing Around :o

About a year ago, I traveled from the Atlantic City airport. An elderly woman (probably about 75-ish) ahead of me in the security line showed her photo ID, but it was a recently expired driver's license. I heard her say she hadn't renewed it because she gave up driving. They took her out of line and did a thorough search of her and her luggage, but finally let her through. I guess she looked dangerous to them... and I guess if your driver's license expired last week, it's not *you* anymore, huh?

Seven years ago I too forgot my driver's license and we were boarding the

plane to Hawaii. All I had was my Costco card and they let me board. However, they did hand search my luggage that was to be checked through

and then right before boarding the aircraft they pulled me aside in a private

room and meticulously searched my carry-ons and then let me go and told

me to have a nice trip.

Upon the return trip home the check=in lady was surprised that I had no

i.d. except costco, and she asked me what they'd done in S.F. and I told

her and she too told me to have a nice trip.

When I was 20 (14 years ago) - a friend gave me her plane ticket to Washington DC that she couldn't use because of a job change. I went to the airport and used her ticket with out any problems. They didn't used to ask for ID back then. Had no problems using a plane ticket that wasn't issued in my name. Boy, things have changed.

Unbelievable story !!!

Do you think my Costco card would work? :D

I was able to use my costco card once when I couldn't find my driver's license. Since it had my name and picture, they said it was acceptable. This was at the Boise airport about 6 years ago.

Patti63

Doesn't N.J. require a picture on their driver's license? Just curious.

Until recently New Jersey didn't require pictures on driver's licenses. They have now gone digital and I believe a photo is needed for everyone at renewal. They also require quite a bit of other verification when renewing and your current license is not enough proof.

A few years ago pre 9/11 a Canadian customs guy in Calgary (in my trying to exit on a r/t plane ticket) wouldn't accept a Florida photo drivers license as proof of citizenship or residency (or whatever he was tying to get at, I showed him Florida - AMerican Bar Assn. cards - no can do! He was technically correct "You can acquire those whithout being a US citizen" - mind you this dude was Canadian) I finally provided a Sarasota County Florida voter registration card - which he still was initially unwilling to accept as proof of citizenship! The pinhead got me so vexed all I could say, was "OK - you win - I guess I'm Canadian after all; what hotel are you putting me up in if you're not taking me into custody). At which point I'd turned his fun on him and he said, "go on, get on the plane, bring your passport next time". I had one, but had never figured our "friends" to the north would require it...

Oh well - at least they've got flu vaccine to sell...

Just want you to know - we're not all idiots up here in Canada. Sounds like you got tangled up with somebody who took his position and authority a little too seriously for his own good. Good for you for turning the tables on him - when he saw you weren't about to be bullied any more, it took the fun out of it for him, didn't it? I'd have done the same thing as you.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived