orginal love boat

ronl

I was wondering what happened to the orginal love boat,I know it was sold to Disney cruise line as the orginal Big Red Boat , but I lost contact with her after they sold her. Where is she now?

I was wondering what happened to the orginal love boat,I know it was sold to Disney cruise line as the orginal Big Red Boat , but I lost contact with her after they sold her. Where is she now?

She is owned by the Brazilian tour operator CVC. She has been chartered this year to Quail Cruises and sails as the Pacific.

http://www.shipparade.com/Ship_Alphabet.htm Click P and then Pacific for a look at her in her Quail livery.

The "other" original Love boat the sister ship Island Princess sails for Discovery cruise line. http://us.voyagesofdiscovery.com/

I believe episodes were filmed on both ships

Yes, both the Island and Pacific were original Love Boat ships. I sailed the Island through the Holy Land in 1995. My first cruise and probably the best. Tiny cabins, one dining room, not much to do (except rest for the next port). It was fabulous!

Good memories. :)

To the OP - The confusion of Premier’s Big Red Boat(s) with Disney Cruise Line is common as Premier once had a deal with Disney to have characters onboard. However, once Disney started to work on their own line, they dropped the deal with Premier. After Mickey left the Big Red Boat, Bugs Bunny and friends moved in.

In a very technical way, the OP was correct that the original Love Boat was a Big Red Boat - The first Sun Princess was used in the first ever Love Boat movie (made in 1976) - with a totally different cast (ship's crew) - the only one that sticks out in my mind was Dick Van Patten as the Doctor. When Princess sold the Sun Princess, she went to Premier as the Star Ship Majestic (painted red). Of course, we all know that the OP was probably referring to our beloved first Pacific Princess, which was used in The Love Boat II (1977) the second movie. From then on, she was the star of the show after it was picked up by ABC. Both Pacific and Island Princess, being identical, were used extensively in the episodes filmed on board. There were very subtle differences between the two, and if you know what to look for, you can tell which ship they filmed on.

I sailed on the original Pacifc Princess twice (2000 and 2002 - the last Princess year). She was nothing like anything they have now, yet she was one of the most charming ships I ever sailed on. Her intimate size allowed passengers and crew to mix and mingle easily and feel like a small club. She was a glimpse into what Princess was like in the early years.

Never owned by Disney....

Pacific_2008-06-13.JPG

She was/is a beauty -- a ship that looks like a ship, not a floating hotel. I loved her and the Island and really miss them -- they had an incomparable atmosphere that I've never found on any other Princess ship. As ShipsAreTheBest said, it almost was like a club. (Plus, it always seemed as if Julie McCoy and Gopher would be coming around the next corner!) The last time I sailed her, in 2002, she may have been showing her age some and may have looked humble with no balcony cabins hanging off her sides or MUTS screens up top, but she had an indefinable something that made her special.

In a very technical way, the OP was correct that the original Love Boat was a Big Red Boat - The first Sun Princess was used in the first ever Love Boat movie (made in 1976) - with a totally different cast (ship's crew) - the only one that sticks out in my mind was Dick Van Patten as the Doctor. When Princess sold the Sun Princess, she went to Premier as the Star Ship Majestic (painted red). Of course, we all know that the OP was probably referring to our beloved first Pacific Princess, which was used in The Love Boat II (1977) the second movie. From then on, she was the star of the show after it was picked up by ABC. Both Pacific and Island Princess, being identical, were used extensively in the episodes filmed on board. There were very subtle differences between the two, and if you know what to look for, you can tell which ship they filmed on.

I sailed on the original Pacifc Princess twice (2000 and 2002 - the last Princess year). She was nothing like anything they have now, yet she was one of the most charming ships I ever sailed on. Her intimate size allowed passengers and crew to mix and mingle easily and feel like a small club. She was a glimpse into what Princess was like in the early years.

Thank you for that answer that was the first ship that we sailed on and every thing you said I remember . We still have the magenit on the frige door and the white jacket with the Majestic logo on it even though it does not fit can not get rid of it,plus still have all rhe doc.from the cruise.Again thank you for the answer Ron

In a very technical way, the OP was correct that the original Love Boat was a Big Red Boat - The first Sun Princess was used in the first ever Love Boat movie (made in 1976) - with a totally different cast (ship's crew) - the only one that sticks out in my mind was Dick Van Patten as the Doctor. When Princess sold the Sun Princess, she went to Premier as the Star Ship Majestic (painted red).

You beat me to it! :)

She was/is a beauty -- a ship that looks like a ship, not a floating hotel. I loved her and the Island and really miss them -- they had an incomparable atmosphere that I've never found on any other Princess ship. As ShipsAreTheBest said, it almost was like a club. (Plus, it always seemed as if Julie McCoy and Gopher would be coming around the next corner!) The last time I sailed her, in 2002, she may have been showing her age some and may have looked humble with no balcony cabins hanging off her sides or MUTS screens up top, but she had an indefinable something that made her special.

Unfortunately I never got to sail on the original Pacific and Island, but I have sailed on Pacific Princess 2. I wonder if anyone has done both and can compare the two. Pacific Princess 2 has only 670 passengers and I love the small ship experience. The amenities aren’t as broad, but the ambience is exquisite. It’s unfortunate that the small ship business isn’t more up Princess’ alley.

My first cruise was on the original Pacific Princess in 1979. My parents took me and my two sisters on a Mexican Rivera cruise. I was 19 years old. I fell in love with cruising on that ship! I still love small ships and the traditions of cruising and all because of the Love Boat!

Unfortunately I never got to sail on the original Pacific and Island, but I have sailed on Pacific Princess 2. I wonder if anyone has done both and can compare the two. Pacific Princess 2 has only 670 passengers and I love the small ship experience. The amenities aren’t as broad, but the ambience is exquisite. It’s unfortunate that the small ship business isn’t more up Princess’ alley.

I also was wondering how the two compared; I've not done any of Princess's R-class ships as yet (although I adore smaller ships and the itineraries, they're soooo expensive when you have to pony up that additional 60% for the single supplement). I'm betting the ambiance onboard is similar since the passenger load is nearly identical. One thing about the R-ships, though, is that from the outside, they are [pausing to search for a diplomatic word] less than attractive -- too boxy for my taste, and they don't seem to have as much open deck space as some others -- no long promenade deck, for example . . . Althought the photos of their interiors are gorgeous. Oh, well, I guess it's like a car: when you're actually driving it, you only see the interior and can forget that the outside bears less resemblance to a Ferrari than to a Yugo.

One thing about the R-ships, though, is that from the outside, they are [pausing to search for a diplomatic word] less than attractive -- too boxy for my taste, and they don't seem to have as much open deck space as some others -- no long promenade deck, for example . . . Althought the photos of their interiors are gorgeous.

I agree with you - not only do they look boxy, but they look top-heavy. I don't particularly like the interiors either - the Victorian design is very heavy and dark. All that being said, I think they are brilliant ships and with a good interior designer could be even better...

Archived