Novo outbreak on the Jewel?

Slyfox16

From what I have read about norovirus, contaminated food or beverages can be a source of infection for humans. In fact, the article stated, "food contaminated by feces". Ugh... just the thought of that is gross. I can understand, however, how that is possible. The virus is found in the stool, hence, having to give a stool sample to diagnose the presence of the virus in a human. Contaminated food could be a source of infection so this is why the passengers are not allowed to touch the food or serving utensils in the buffet.

The same article which a link was posted here on cruise critic, also stated that the virus is not an airborne organism, hence, the virus is not contracted via the respiratory tract. There was one passenger that I know of who wore a mask from the moment of embarkation on the Oct. 8th cruise because I saw her at the registration desk. Some folks may have thought this passenger was wearing the mask to prevent contracting the norovirus. If that were the case, every person on board the ship would have had to protect themselves with masks.

coffeebean

I think that was to protect her lowered immunity system, possibly from chemo or some other treatment. :)

Here is an intresting link about it:

http://microbiology.mtsinai.on.ca/bug/norwalk/nor-dis.shtml

Individuals who express type B antigen (B and AB phenotypes) were at decreased risk of infection. When these B and AB phenotypes were infected, they were more likely to be asymptomatic.

So I guess its all those asymptomatic type Bs spreading it ;)

Seriously though, its more likely to be spread while its incubating or while you are asymptomatic, as those who come down with are laid out for a couple of days.

From what I have read about norovirus, contaminated food or beverages can be a source of infection for humans. In fact, the article stated, "food contaminated by feces". Ugh... just the thought of that is gross. I can understand, however, how that is possible. The virus is found in the stool, hence, having to give a stool sample to diagnose the presence of the virus in a human. Contaminated food could be a source of infection so this is why the passengers are not allowed to touch the food or serving utensils in the buffet.

The same article which a link was posted here on cruise critic, also stated that the virus is not an airborne organism, hence, the virus is not contracted via the respiratory tract. There was one passenger that I know of who wore a mask from the moment of embarkation on the Oct. 8th cruise because I saw her at the registration desk. Some folks may have thought this passenger was wearing the mask to prevent contracting the norovirus. If that were the case, every person on board the ship would have had to protect themselves with masks.

coffeebean

That's probably my daughter you are referring to and I am sure there are more people who were on that cruise curious about the mask (some asked on board - which we didn't mind). But, for those who are wondering (and didn't ask). She was not contagious. She is taking medication that suppresses her immune system. So she has to protect herself from others coughing, sneezing, or whatever. The fact there was a 6% noro problem on the cruise before ours was actually a blessing for us, because it meant extra cleaning and sanitization for our cruise. She did fine for the trip and had a great time. She had one sea day that she didn't feel well, but it had nothing to do with noro.

Here is an intresting link about it:

http://microbiology.mtsinai.on.ca/bug/norwalk/nor-dis.shtml

So I guess its all those asymptomatic type Bs spreading it ;)

Seriously though, its more likely to be spread while its incubating or while you are asymptomatic, as those who come down with are laid out for a couple of days.

Thought I would post part of the link you supplied...Just doesn't explain why I had the NoroVirus (since I am A blood type) and my DH did not have the Norovirus (as he is O blood type)

"New research suggests that there is a connection between Norovirus infection and a person’s blood type. A, B, and O phenotypes are determined by the presence or absence of carbohydrate antigens on glycolipids and glycoproteins found on the surface of mucosal epithelia as well as RBC’s. In this study, individuals with type O phenotype were found to be most susceptible to Norovirus infection. Individuals who express type B antigen (B and AB phenotypes) were at decreased risk of infection. When these B and AB phenotypes were infected, they were more likely to be asymptomatic."

How exactly do you know that "they (crew members) have to work so if they do get sick you probably won't know it"?? We were told..and I don't think NCL has a reason to lie..that there were sick crew members on our ship (the Jewel), who were confined to their cabins just like the sick passengers.

I have indeed seen crew members santize their hands..and hands of the crew members walking with them..last week on the Jewel when we were cruising. And you DON'T get sick from the food and water -- you get sick from picking up the VIRUS from others who are sick.

If you're "sick from the food and/or water" it's either seasickness, drunkness, or possible food poisoning..and there have been no reports of food poisoning on NCL ships that I can verify.

of course they are confined to their quarters, does anyone really think any cruise company wants to see the virus spread any faster than necessary????

If you don't believe there is a difference between positive and negative blood typing make sure you never ask for a transfusion.

The neg/pos may have nothing to do with the CDC and noro virus, however, you stated you had O neg. blood - and I was just saying there is a difference between the positive/negative.

As for a citation?? Don't have it in writing - this was one of those verbal quotes from my sister the doctor. I can give you her email so you can argue with her if it would make you feel better.

FT

It was your statement "When CDC refers to Type O they mean O positive not negative" that was the problem. Obviously there is a significant difference between rH positive and negative - which has nothing to do with the CDC statement on norovirus.

coffeebean

Well, there is the possibility of aerosolization of the virus from vomiting. That would probably be one of the reasons for quarantining a person with Norovirus. However, unless a patient was vomiting right near you, the mask would be a waste of resources (and they aren't all that comfortable, either).

If the norovirus isn't spread via the respiratory system ( like a cold etc. ) why do they say avoid touching your face? How does the virus enter your system except through nose, mouth?

Through the digestive system. It's easy to pick up on your hands and transfer to your mouth.

Hi...Just got a call from a friend who is on the Jewel now. She said the ship was going through a massive decontamination. They were not allowed to enter the terminal without hand washing. NCL is not telling passengers anything and I had to send her several links on the recent outbreaks on the ship. Why are they so hush hush about these outbreaks? Wouldn't it help if the new passengers knew what was going on?

Hi...Just got a call from a friend who is on the Jewel now. She said the ship was going through a massive decontamination. They were not allowed to enter the terminal without hand washing. NCL is not telling passengers anything and I had to send her several links on the recent outbreaks on the ship. Why are they so hush hush about these outbreaks? Wouldn't it help if the new passengers knew what was going on?

Before your friend boards, she will be handed a letter about what is happening on the ship. That was handed out on the three previous cruises.

Before your friend boards, she will be handed a letter about what is happening on the ship. That was handed out on the three previous cruises.

All she said she got was a small memo stating there was a novovirus on the ship. Nothing more. She had no idea how many were infected. They are wearing masks and gloves and had no idea why.

All she said she got was a small memo stating there was a novovirus on the ship. Nothing more. She had no idea how many were infected. They are wearing masks and gloves and had no idea why.

We were given a one-page letter, we were told by several different crew members as we boarded, we were reminded throughout the cruise to "wash your hands; sanitize your hands before and after using the bathroom; can't get in to a dining area without passing by a sanitizer, etc. And it was in every issue of the daily newsletter distributed to every cabin.

They don't know how many until AFTER the cruise as it's not like it "attacks" everyone at once. If there are some folks on the ship with it, more will come down with it during the course of the cruise.

They're wearing masks and gloves in an attempt to contain/confine the virus. That should be pretty obvious.

We were given a one-page letter, we were told by several different crew members as we boarded, we were reminded throughout the cruise to "wash your hands; sanitize your hands before and after using the bathroom; can't get in to a dining area without passing by a sanitizer, etc. And it was in every issue of the daily newsletter distributed to every cabin.

They don't know how many until AFTER the cruise as it's not like it "attacks" everyone at once. If there are some folks on the ship with it, more will come down with it during the course of the cruise.

They're wearing masks and gloves in an attempt to contain/confine the virus. That should be pretty obvious.

Of course it is obvious to me. These folks are experienced cruisers, have been on 20 or more cruises. She said to me they have experienced similar experience on other cruises but this particular one today seemed to be much more serious that any other ones and they were disseminating very little info about why they were going to such extremes. That's all! She's also very allergic to the sanitizing lotions scattered all over the ship, so she has to walk around with a damp washcloth.

Just got back from the Jewel and I will say that I was impressed by the way they handled the problem. They did give us a letter in the terminal before boarding explaining the problem. The crews were constantly sanitizing every square inch of the ship. Passengers were thoroughly educated by the crew to the importance of sanitizing. The crew did an outstanding job of making the cruise as enjoyable as possible under the circumstances. They even tastefully incorporated the sanitizing ritual into the comedy routines in the entertainment venues. I did see that a couple of passengers were ill enough to be removed by ambulances in Quebec City, but it couldn't have been too bad, as in other cases, the cruises on some ships had to be cancelled for a week or more to allow complete sanitization of the ship. I'm sure the CDC would have ordered the same for the Jewel if it was necessary.

Just off the Jewel this morning. When we boarded we were also delayed by a ship wide sanitation. We were told that this would be the last one needed and that by the time the ship reaches Aruba (i think) that they would be back to self serve in the buffet.

We had a long chat with the hotel director onboard. They take this very seriously and he told us that there had been one case on our cruise. He also said that many of the things they do are mandated by the CDC and they have to comply. We really did not feel that we were inconvenienced on our cruise. The only thing was a long wait for the main dining room as they were short staffed as many extra crew were needed in the buffet. The main problem becomes the passengers. You would not believe how many try to avoid the sanitizers and don't seem to understand that it's being done for their protection.

...we sailed on the Pearl, post an outbreak cruise. I admired all the diligent effort to keep us sterilized and safe.

After all the hand santizing on board the ship, I freaked out at the airport with all the germy people and not a hand sanitizer in sight!

Wash your hands, sanitize when possible, and keep your hands away from your nose and mouth. I'm an elementary school teacher -- I live by this motto (wonder why c...r...e...d...o was asterisked by the CC software? :D). :)

I was on this Jewel sailing and sanitized like crazy...every chance I got and washed and washed and washed and still got sick.

they have been more than open about the outbreaks, it seems that the last sailing had no new cases reported in the last few days thus what it happening now is precausion to make sure it doesn't re-appear. If you had read all that was posted you would know they have offered cruise credit for those who did not want to sail on the last cruise. They now feel they have the noro under control or hope they do. NCL is among the best at controlling the spread of the NORO Virus. just out of curiosity why did you think you had to email her serveral links as you put it???

Nita

When I embarked on the Oct. 8th Jewel cruise, the passengers received a letter at registration stating that there is a norovirus outbreak on the ship. We were notified that extensive efforts to sanitize the ship were in progress. We were also offered a refund for the cruise if we did not want to board the ship.

coffeebean

they have been more than open about the outbreaks, it seems that the last sailing had no new cases reported in the last few days thus what it happening now is precausion to make sure it doesn't re-appear. If you had read all that was posted you would know they have offered cruise credit for those who did not want to sail on the last cruise. They now feel they have the noro under control or hope they do. NCL is among the best at controlling the spread of the NORO Virus. just out of curiosity why did you think you had to email her serveral links as you put it???

Nita

Heres some good information...it says chances or catching this virus on land is 1 in 12, on a cruise ship it's 1 in 4000. This should make everyone happy to know.

Archived