The Dining Room Situation gives me a headache

laidbackin LA

How "intimate" are these intimate conversations Laidback wants to have? Really intimate conversations should take place the the privacy of one's own cabin or at home.

My husband likes to sit at a large table and meet new people and I would prefer a table for two, so we just take the luck of the draw when we are seated. I do like anytime dining because like a previous poster said in traditional you have the same table mates the whole time so if they are strange or unfriendly your stuck with them the whole time.

Then there is breakfast, lunch and tea rubbing elbows with strangers. Like I said, it gives a headache.

I know you don't want to sail on Princess again, but for those who are reading and might not know as you didn't...

You are free to ask for your own table at breakfast, lunch and tea -- just as you are at dinner.

This OP does not bash only Princess; if you bother to look at threads she has originated, she has very few that are not criticisms - and yes, this is Cruise Critic. But this is the same OP that has a thread that she says at home she eats only trail mix and nuts and does not use room service because she is afraid of tipping. Go figure.:(

cannot believe that soo many people can be so rude . they only want a decent gap between tables and have a private time so why is every body being so impolite and not agreeing that this is a acceptable request? WE CHOOSE to have a table at traditional dinning late sitting and have been lucky to enjoy lovely table guests but heaven forbid I would never share breakfast with anyone! Each to his own and please do not expect everyone to be the same. sorry but us welsh tolerate most but do not agree with rudness on a very fair comment

Hey Toots!!!

Love your name :D

You can come anytime, love to have ya.

We have the same situation.:(

I think this happens more then others let on.

If I could, I too would cruise during the holidays, but it just wouldn't feel the same.

I wonder what her tablemates think of her?.:eek:

Do they run to Anytime? ;)

Sandytoes - Thanks for the family dining room photo. Can DH and I come to your house for Thanksgiving dinner? The last time we had a large family dinner, at Thanksgiving 2006, two of the sisters-in-law got into a terrible argument that has divided the family ever since. I'm still angry that it happened at our house. Sadly, I would rather make dinner conversation with total strangers than some of our family members. That's why we often cruise over the holidays. But that's veering off the topic..............

Cruising is for meeting people..as has been said by many posters, if one does not like getting on a ship with a couple of thousand 'strangers' Geez I hate that word 'stranger' then cruising is not for you.

For us, cruising means mixing, mingling and speaking with many fellow pax from all over the world, one never stops learning.

It never ceases to amaze me on the ships when a couple walks into the dining room and demands a 'table for two.'

Well, there are no lifeboats for two either, uh, sorry..I mean tenders.;)

No, I am not being rude, just posting from my perspective of 'life on the ocean waves.'

It never ceases to amaze me on the ships when a couple walks into the dining room and demands a 'table for two.'

Actually, we request a table for two (never have demanded such) because of DH's very severe food allergies. We would love the luxury of eating with others, but have to be so careful that a table for 2 (for us) is a necessity.

We do enjoy chatting in the bars and other lounges though!

Sorry if I offended you FrickFrack. I know there are exceptions to massed dining due to medical issues.

No offence meant. The main thing is you do mix and mingle in other parts of the ship, thats excellent and in the spirit of cruising.;)

We are extremely lucky to have good friends that go on every cruise with us. Table for 4 is perfect. We take the kids (kids: 26 and 20) sometimes and have excellent dinner conversation. Most of the time, we don't all see each other until dinner. We look forward to it.

I would only have a bad time on a cruise if I were sick - that happened on the last 2 days of a 7 day cruise. Being sick on the vacation you've waited a year to take is no fun.

Enjoying the posts.

Cheers!:cool:

Wow, I think sone people are being kind of harsh to the OP. (I have not read any of their other threads, I am just going off of this this.) I agree with them however, the tables for 2 are ridiculous on some of the ships. They are sooo close. There are times I feel like sitting in a group, breakfast is fine. I am a talker with 29 Princess cruises under my belt, trust me, I get along well with people and have a ton to talk about from a cruising standpoint (Itineraries, experiences, ect). But here is my deal with dinner. I am not a big fan of eating 5 courses (I am very picky), sometimes we are pooped from the day and I only want 2 courses. It could be chicken fingers from the kids menu and dessert! But if I want to have a nicer dinner than the buffet provides, I must eat in the dinig room. Is this not part of the appeal of personal choice dining? It is my "personal choice" to only eat 2 courses. When I sit at a large table, making small talk, I have to sit there with no food in front of my while everyone else eats their 5 courses. It is highly annoying. I am sorry if this opinion makes people mad. On our last cruise, we were told they had TWO tables for 2. TWO! That is pretty ridiculous no matter how you slice it. I got a beeper, being told it would be 15 minutes. It took over 45 minutes, and twice we were called in and led to a table for 4 with 2 people both sitting at it. It just so happened at this point, I had a massive headache and just turned to the maitre D as we approached the table and said quietly, "is that our table?" Both times they said Yes and I just turned around and walked back to the head guy who was assigning seats. If they dont want to have tables for 2, fine. But tell me in advance how long the wait will be, realisitically, instead of wasting my time and keep trying to seat me where I dont want to be. My vacation, my choice how I chose to spend it.

I like how they do it, I think on the Dawn class ships. They take tables for 4 and put large glass dividers in the middle, so conversation between the couples is not even possible, BUT, if there is no demand for tables for 2 (ha ha), the glass can be removed and made into tables for 4 again.

Casey

Call me crazy but we actually ENJOY sitting with others and starting a conversation. UBD would have given you all the privacy you wanted.

Some of our foundest memories were made while sailing and joining perfect strangers at dinner. It is interesting to just go in and sit wherever and meeting whoever. Chances are, you may never see them again and if you like them, you can make arrangements to meet again for dinner or a drink. We love freestyle dining and won't travel any other way.:o

But here is my deal with dinner. I am not a big fan of eating 5 courses (I am very picky), sometimes we are pooped from the day and I only want 2 courses. It could be chicken fingers from the kids menu and dessert! But if I want to have a nicer dinner than the buffet provides, I must eat in the dinig room. Is this not part of the appeal of personal choice dining? It is my "personal choice" to only eat 2 courses. When I sit at a large table, making small talk, I have to sit there with no food in front of my while everyone else eats their 5 courses. It is highly annoying. I am sorry if this opinion makes people mad

This is an *IDEAL* reason for choosing anytime dining at a table just for your party. Pacing of the meal is much nicer if everyone at the table is amenable to having the same courses. We do two, sometimes three, courses - but however many we have, we agree to have the same number. It's awkward to have two courses when everyone else at the table has five.

I also think that many of the tables for two are so close that it becomes weird *not* to interact with the people who are practically on top of you. It's not completely comfortable for me for them to be so close and yet not *with* us. I totally understand the OP's complaint about this. Luckily, for the most part, we've been able to avoid those banquette tables and those Tables for 2 times 2. But, somebody's got to sit at those tables and I'm sure our number will come up one of these days.

I think I understand you. The twosie tables on those ships are a bit weird. Never bothered me, but they are way too close together to be considered "private" yet are separated just enough so that you are not actually sharing a table. More often than not couples end up having a conversation over the 6 inch gap.

Hopefully most people have enough social skills and will leave you alone if you seem as if you are enjoying an intimate dining experience with your mate. If the nearby diners don't get the hint I have a feeling you have a really good "snub" expression in your repitiore!;)

I also understand the poster, having had similar experiences over the yrs and I also find Princess places the 2 tops too close together..

As a soon to be first time cruiser, I have in recent weeks enjoyed reading many of the threads on this site. It has been in the most part very useful excersise both in tuning into the excitement of many posts and picking up many useful tips along the way. Thank you to all the regular contributors.

The opinions in some of the posts I have found at times a little difficult to agree with or understand - a healthy position I believe, none however have saddened me more than this thread. The level of bigotry displayed is astonishing.

Wow, if cruising is so painful, you should probably stay at home in LA or wherever you live. Hey, how about room service for every meal then you wouldn't have to associate with the other 2,000 people who have paid their fare to be there. It is an adventure...some unpleasant but mostly wonderful!!!

Sorry if I offended you FrickFrack. I know there are exceptions to massed dining due to medical issues.

No offence meant. The main thing is you do mix and mingle in other parts of the ship, thats excellent and in the spirit of cruising.;)

Les - No offense was taken at all!! :)

We have run into people who have misunderstood why we eat alone or, on formal nights especially, why we will dine in our cabin. It's all a matter of safety for DH. We've traveled with a few friends who don't mind the "logistics" - but would never subject people to it unknowingly.

I always try to remind people that, sometimes, others who eat by themselves have reasons (other than being "anti-social jerks" :D ).

Happy Cruising to All!!! :)

As a soon to be first time cruiser, I have in recent weeks enjoyed reading many of the threads on this site. It has been in the most part very useful excersise both in tuning into the excitement of many posts and picking up many useful tips along the way. Thank you to all the regular contributors.

The opinions in some of the posts I have found at times a little difficult to agree with or understand - a healthy position I believe, none however have saddened me more than this thread. The level of bigotry displayed is astonishing.

I don't think I would call it bigotry, it is just a case of people with strong opinions thinking their is the correct one. Unfortunately, people post in manners in public forums differently than if they were saying the same thing to someones face. They take a lot more liberties than they would if they were saying things face to face.

I find it actually quite laughable sometimes reading some of the posts from those who think their opinion is the only one.

CC is a great source of information - I always get something out of reading the boards. Don't pay too much attention to the negative - go on your first cruise and have a wonderful time - I'm sure you'll be hooked. Don't sweat the small stuff you read here.

I find it actually quite laughable sometimes reading some of the posts from those who think their opinion is the only one.

CC is a great source of information - I always get something out of reading the boards. Don't pay too much attention to the negative - go on your first cruise and have a wonderful time - I'm sure you'll be hooked. Don't sweat the small stuff you read here.

Absoultely it really is very informative and very entertaining!....sometimes at the same time

Don't sweat the small stuff you read here.

Believe me, I don't waste my time

I don't think I would call it bigotry, it is just a case of people with strong opinions thinking their is the correct one. Unfortunately, people post in manners in public forums differently than if they were saying the same thing to someones face. They take a lot more liberties than they would if they were saying things face to face.

If you would like to read some bigotry, read what the OP wrote in another post about her opinion on mexicans lol

slinkycat have a great cruise, you'll love it!

If you would like to read some bigotry, read what the OP wrote in another post about her opinion on mexicans lol

slinkycat have a great cruise, you'll love it!

Makes me seriously wonder if we have a troll here.....

Makes me seriously wonder if we have a troll here.....

If we do, she is a very BUSY troll!!! I must say, it seems unnecessary for her to start multiple threads, all with complaints about her cruise. Some people prefer one cruise line over another for a multitude of reasons--- there's nothing wrong with that. But really, this is turning into Princess bashing and seems a little extreme.

Ha, ha, I am enjoying these comments.

Strangers give me a headache because it is a tragedy that I don't care what they are saying or who they are. They feel the same about me. This is the tragic consequence of there being 35 million people in the state of California and being overwhelmed by all that.

Isn't that the reason someone would choose Princess Anytime Dining or Norwegian Freestyle? We too dislike sitting with strangers and having to make small talk and that is why we love Anytime Dining and NCL. We ask for a table for two and always get it with minimum wait. Shouldn't you be glad that the line offer such flexibility. Would you rather be stucked every night with a bunch of strangers you don't like?

Ha, ha, I am enjoying these comments.

Strangers give me a headache because it is a tragedy that I don't care what they are saying or who they are. They feel the same about me. This is the tragic consequence of there being 35 million people in the state of California and being overwhelmed by all that.

Isn't that the reason someone would choose Princess Anytime Dining or Norwegian Freestyle? We too dislike sitting with strangers and having to make small talk and that is why we love Anytime Dining and NCL. We ask for a table for two and always get it with minimum wait. Shouldn't you be glad that the line offer such flexibility. Would you rather be stucked every night with a bunch of strangers you don't like?

Archived